Shuffle question/ individual files

Does the fuse recognize individual mp3 files plopped in the music folder? I do not use a management program, I simply drag and drop to maintain my music folder. It seems the Fuse ignores the individual files that are not in folders when shuffling. Perhaps it just never gets to them…but you would think it would pick up one every now and then.

Should I put these files in a “various artists” folder in order to get the fuse to want to play them or is it just a function that I have so much music on the fuse it hasn’t gotten to those single files “yet”?

I am pretty sure that it will find individuals. I have used the Autofill function of Winamp to send individual tracks, not complete albums to mine. In addition, I have mistakenly put tracks directly under the root instead of in the MUSIC folder, and the Sansas still find them OK.

I believe what you are experiencing is Sansa’s really crappy Random Shuffle. No matter how many thousand tracks are available, Sansa starts repeating in short order. I cannot count the number of times that the same track has played back-to-back. I thought for awhile that it was just going to the 1st track in a folder, and not looking any farther.

It is bad enough to not use it at all. I started scrolling through my database, and then just starting sequentially at a random letter.

Actually, what really cured the problem was to install Rockbox. It has a random shuffle that actually works.

Note: ALL my Sansas have had ■■■■ random play, it is not just the Fuze+.

@kennyd wrote:

Does the fuse recognize individual mp3 files plopped in the music folder? I do not use a management program, I simply drag and drop to maintain my music folder. It seems the Fuse ignores the individual files that are not in folders when shuffling. Perhaps it just never gets to them…but you would think it would pick up one every now and then.

Should I put these files in a “various artists” folder in order to get the fuse to want to play them or is it just a function that I have so much music on the fuse it hasn’t gotten to those single files “yet”?

Yes, the Sansa can recognize individual files. It just lumps them all into “Unknown Album”. It might also be good to create a new folder in Windows Explorer and call it something like Unknown or Others or Various Artists like you said, and put the files in that. That way, you can easily find the files. That’s what I did and it works. Also, it should cycle through ALL your songs, even individual files if you have it set to shuffle. Perhaps it’s skipping over your songs bc they are corrupted or defective?

Thanks Brush for mentioning Rockbox.  

I know this reply comes years after your post, and you may well have moved on from the Fuze+.  I’m just arriving with a refurbished device obtained from an eBay dealer.  These players may appear to be going obsolete due to smartphones, but I find them very handy when on a bicycle or other situations where my Samsung S3 smartphone is too bulky or too vulnerable to use.  Also, I don’t like draining the smartphone’s battery listening to music and then not having the smartphone available at a crucial time.

Anyway, back to Rockbox.  I agree with you that SanDisk players lack very good firmware.  I had nothing but trouble with the original firmware (OF) in the Fuze+, particularly the shuffle, which could easily get stuck playing just one or two songs repeatedly!

Your advice put me on to Rockbox, which despite the warning that it is “unstable” on the Fuze+ turned out to be easy and safe to install, and with no glitches whatsoever.

Again, thanks from “beyond the grave” for your bit of help!