Sansa Fuze+

Just bought an 8GB Fuze+ last night, and I have to say I’m REALLY disappointed in it. I’ll refrain from using the profanity I feel it deserves and explain as calmly as possible.

• First, it just feels cheap - the previous Fuze’s felt much more solid and “denser”.  It also showed every figerprint and quickly became smuged just from normal handling.  I liked the V1 and V2’s “felt bag” because it protected the screen from scratches and kept the unit clean.

• The power button on top, the volume buttons on the side are slow to respond. Although the placement of the earphone jack at the center on the bottom is nice for cheap docking stations, it uses a smaller USB type plug on the side which was a pain to connect, I felt like it was a matter of time before I bent it trying to plug it in.  When it was unplugged it felt like it took twice as long for it to finishing with the new “loading…” transitional screen.

• The “swipe” navigation is just plain awful - once you reach the end (far right), there’s no option to “wrap around” like the spinning wheel does on the Fuze V1 and V2.  I felt the GUI was a step backwards.  No clear “home” button made it difficult to go from playing music, to the settings menu and change time, date, or other options.

• I was unable to delete a folder I’d just created via Windows explorer…I was told the device was no longer responding or connected, and got that awful piano “thud” sound from Windows.  I tried copying two folders, with content, to the Fuze+ - and somehow the content got swapped!?  So I tried deleting each folder to re-create the folders on the device and it wouldn’t release one of the folders (and it wasn’t playing that content).

Bottom line - try before you buy.  I’m returning mine today, and going with the Fuze V2 instead.