Sansa Fuze+

One website I saw earlier today with info on the Fuze+ said that it does have gapless playback, which was one of the few annoyances I had with my Fuze.  I think this will be a solid upgrade.  I’m not nearly as concerned about the touch controls as everyone else is around here.  Judging by the demo videos on the product page, it looks like a decently fluid UI with touch controls. 

@deathmetalred wrote:

Judging by the demo videos on the product page, it looks like a decently fluid UI with touch controls. 

I saw those too, and thought the response was awful sluggish though. I would have thought it would have been a bit snappier.

@deathmetalred wrote:

Judging by the demo videos on the product page, it looks like a decently fluid UI with touch controls. 

I saw those too, and thought the screen response was awful sluggish though. I would have thought it would have been a bit snappier.

I did like the alpha letter displayed iin the upper right corner when scrolling (accelerated) through long artist or song lists. Nice touch!

A reviewer mentioned that the main menu background is a “custom” one made up of the user’s album art.  Does this mean that we’ll be able to personalize the background?

@mags1230 wrote:

A reviewer mentioned that the main menu background is a “custom” one made up of the user’s album art.  Does this mean that we’ll be able to personalize the background?

I’m guessing no.:wink:

Yes, The Fuze+ support gapless playback

Yes, you can set your own pictures as the background. If no picture is set as the background it will use the album art to stitch together a background image. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

1 Like

Why wasn’t the battery life increased?  If it’s due to pricing, then I would have been willing to pay a little more for more hours.

If we add a 16Gb or 32Gb uSDHC card to the Fuze+ 16Gb version,

• Will it smoothly handle 10,000+ song titles?

• Will the uSDHC card integrate with onboard memory to form a single playback-library space, as does the current Fuze?

Thanks for any solid info.

“Why wasn’t the battery life increased? If it’s due to pricing, then I would have been willing to pay a little more for more hours.”

Sandisk seems to be overly obsessed with player thickness. Perhaps having double the battery life might mean having a player around 20% thicker? I guess the additional cost for a battery with double the capacity wouldn’t have been that much. I agree with you. Imo mid sized players such as the Fuze and Fuze+ should have 50+ hours of battery life, and smaller players such as the Clip+ should have 25+ hours of battery life.

@jk98 wrote:

“Why wasn’t the battery life increased? If it’s due to pricing, then I would have been willing to pay a little more for more hours.”

Sandisk seems to be overly obsessed with player thickness. Perhaps having double the battery life might mean having a player around 20% thicker? I guess the additional cost for a battery with double the capacity wouldn’t have been that much. I agree with you. Imo mid sized players such as the Fuze and Fuze+ should have 50+ hours of battery life, and smaller players such as the Clip+ should have 25+ hours of battery life.

Hate to break this to you, but it’s not just SanDisk…they’re all obsessed with it. Steve Jobs today was quite proud of the newest iPod Touch being even thinner than the previous model.

“Hate to break this to you, but it’s not just SanDisk…they’re all obsessed with it. Steve Jobs today was quite proud of the newest iPod Touch being even thinner than the previous model.”

I guess that is why Sandisk decided that the Fuze was fine with 24 hour battery life since that was the battery life of the ipod Nano. We buy Sandisk products though because we want much more than Apple offers.

An anorexic player with short battery life reminds me of a sports car with a 5 gallon gas tank. While the car might look sexy to some, its usefullness is severely limited.

As for player thickness, consider this. Having double the battery life might mean a player is around 20% thicker, but carrying a player plus an external usb battery pack and a small usb cable so that run time is doubled probably means having more than double the thickness.

@jk98 wrote:

“Hate to break this to you, but it’s not just SanDisk…they’re all obsessed with it. Steve Jobs today was quite proud of the newest iPod Touch being even thinner than the previous model.”

I guess that is why Sandisk decided that the Fuze was fine with 24 hour battery life since that was the battery life of the ipod Nano. We buy Sandisk products though because we want much more than Apple offers.

An anorexic player with short battery life reminds me of a sports car with a 5 gallon gas tank. While the car might look sexy to some, its usefullness is severely limited.

As for player thickness, consider this. Having double the battery life might mean a player is around 20% thicker, but carrying a player plus an external usb battery pack and a small usb cable so that run time is doubled probably means having more than double the thickness.

OK, I gotta ask…shortest battery life player you have is probably a Clip+, right? So how often are you out and about, away from an AC power source, for more than the time it takes to run a Clip+ dead? I can’t believe it is very often…and if so, you do have more than one player. I just think you make way too big of a deal about battery life.

@jk98 wrote:

http://http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Questions-on-the-Fuze/m-p/187571#M36

The new model is slightly thicker…you happy?

“OK, I gotta ask…shortest battery life player you have is probably a Clip+, right? So how often are you out and about, away from an AC power source, for more than the time it takes to run a Clip+ dead? I can’t believe it is very often…and if so, you do have more than one player. I just think you make way too big of a deal about battery life.”

It isn’t just the time away from AC power, but having to monitor the battery life, remember to charge the battery when it is low, and leaving enough time to charge it.When it is done charging, I need to remember to disconnect the player and put it back to where I will see it and remember to take it with me when I leave. Ideally if I could use a player that takes a AA or AAA battery, then I could leave the player in a jacket pocket, and have two small plastic bags in the pocket, one for charged batteries, and one for discharged batteries. Then perhaps once every week or two I could charge 4 batteries at a time. I could keep a stack of charged batteries on my desk, then I could swap the discharged batteries in my jacket for charged ones and charge the discharged ones at my leisure.

@ptjim wrote:

If we add a 16Gb or 32Gb uSDHC card to the Fuze+ 16Gb version,

• Will it smoothly handle 10,000+ song titles?

• Will the uSDHC card integrate with onboard memory to form a single playback-library space, as does the current Fuze?

Thanks for any solid info.

• The database can handle up to 10,000 song titles
  • The micro SDHC card will integrate with the onboard memory for a single playback library same as the current fuze. There is also a separate menu selection for the external card so you can browse files stored on the card separately as well. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

@slotmonsta wrote:

• The database can handle up to 10,000 song titles
  • The micro SDHC card will integrate with the onboard memory for a single playback library same as the current fuze. There is also a separate menu selection for the external card so you can browse files stored on the card separately as well. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and the info; seamless memory is what drew me from Creative to the e280, then the 8Gb Fuze (plus 16Gb uSDHC) I’m using now - I need about 38Gb to hold my entire music library, so the Fuze+ is looking good, but still have to wait until the 32Gb uSDHC cards are a bit more mainstream and affordable.

Very glad to hear about the 10k song capacity - I think my library is currently about 8,700.

I don’t need to listen to 8,700 tracks, but am very tired of having to pick what gets loaded, then missing a particular album or song I’d like to play when away from home.

Thanks again.

@jk98 wrote:

It isn’t just the time away from AC power, but having to monitor the battery life, remember to charge the battery when it is low, and leaving enough time to charge it.

I would just leave it to charge when you go to brush your teeth at night, and then pick it up again when you brush your teeth in the morning.    :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

It isn’t just the time away from AC power, but having to monitor the battery life, remember to charge the battery when it is low, and leaving enough time to charge it.

I would just leave it to charge when you go to brush your teeth at night, and then pick it up again when you brush your teeth in the morning.    :wink:

You’re assuming JK brushes his teeth twice a day . . .

or for that matter even has teeth!

@jk98 wrote:

It isn’t just the time away from AC power, but having to monitor the battery life, remember to charge the battery when it is low, and leaving enough time to charge it.When it is done charging, I need to remember to disconnect the player and put it back to where I will see it and remember to take it with me when I leave.

I really don’t see why this is such a chore…I certainly don’t have any problems with it.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

It isn’t just the time away from AC power, but having to monitor the battery life, remember to charge the battery when it is low, and leaving enough time to charge it.When it is done charging, I need to remember to disconnect the player and put it back to where I will see it and remember to take it with me when I leave.

I really don’t see why this is such a chore…I certainly don’t have any problems with it.

I have the same problem as JK98 and I am using similar stop gap solutions for the short battery life of non-replaceable battery devices. A whole new battery charging market has been built because of the charging ’ chore.’  I could say I don’t have a problem with the built-in poly battery either as I’ve spent $30 on chargers that fit into cig lighters, walls, and accept AA batteries. The lack of UL listing on the USB chargers is also no problem. I’ve only burned one fuze out so far by a bad charger. Newegg replaced both the charger and the fuze…In the mean time I used my $14 Coby 2g with a replaceable AAA battery.  I don’t have any problem with the short battery life…NOT