Sansa Fuze doing strange things

Just recently, my fuze started doing strange things. It would freeze mid-song, and unfreeze, only to quickly shuffle through songs on its own, with warped letters and no album art. Another time, I turned it on and all songs were gone. I attempted to format it, and add all the songs again, but the problem persisted repeatedly. Any idea of what caused this and what can be done would be most appreciated.

The first steps would be to Format (Settings/System Settings/Format)–which will remove all the content you have added–and then update the firmware, from here.

Don’t download the updater–download the All Regions link for your version.

Pardon my igonrance, but how do I open/view this root directory?

The root directory is just the driveletter.

Put the Fuze in MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode) and connect. It pops up in Windows Explorer as two drives, X: Sansa Fuze [the internal memory] and Y: Removeable Disc [the card slot].  Just drag fuzeA.bin onto the driveletter for Sansa Fuze, whatever X: actually is on your computer .

I formatted the device, installed the firmware, and re-added all of the songs, and it worked, for a few minutes, before freezing again. None of the other problems I mentioned, but it was impossible to listen to music.

I know it’s still frustrating, but you’ve ruled out some basic problems.

The Fuze usually freezes when it hits a file it doesn’t like. There are two main reasons: a corrupt file or bad ID3 tags (the electronic labels in the files that tell the Fuze Artist, Title, Album, etc.) 

To see if it’s a corrupt file, right-click on the drive where you have the songs and do Properties/Tools/Error-Checking.If it finds a baddie, it will ask you if it should “save bad chains” or something like that. Don’t save them.

If that doesn’t find anything, then the tags are in a form the Fuze doesn’t like. This is because there’s no worldwide standard for ID3 tags, and lots of variations.

The easiest thing to do is run all your albums through mp3tag, a free program,  to standardize them. Here’s how.

That seemed to work. However, I’m still having an issue of dissapearing memory. My fuze went from 3.6 GB to 3.5, and is now at 3.4, even with no music.

@charon616 wrote:

That seemed to work. However, I’m still having an issue of dissapearing memory. My fuze went from 3.6 GB to 3.5, and is now at 3.4, even with no music.

Hmmm . . . diminishing returns, eh?

@charon616 wrote:

Hmmm . . . diminishing returns, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess, I don’t know?