Sansa Fuze database does not list all songs stored in the Fuze and microsd card.

Hi,

I have contacted SanDisk support on this, but I thought that I woul check to see if anyone has seen the same problem.

I have a Sansa Fuze 8gb with a 4gb SDHC card = 12 GB.
My firmware revision is V01.01.11A
I am using Windows XP and have followed all operating procedures provided with the Fuze.

I have stored 4247 songs on the Fuze in wma vbr 50 format; 2918 on the Fuze and 1329 on a 4gb microsd card. 

All 4247 songs are accessible and playable from the Fuzeusing windows explorer and media player.

However, the Sansa Fuze only lists 3698 songs in the database leaving 549 songs which I cannot access from the FUZE menus.  The 3698 accessible songs appear to play fine on the Fuze.

I have changed the mix of songs between the SD card and the FUZE to see if the SD card is the problem, but the number of viewable songs is always between 3690 and 3740 no matter where the 4247 songs reside.

I have manually refreshed the firmware and have reformatted both the FUZE and the SD card.  After writing all songs back to the FUZE, there is no change.

It appears that there is some restriction in the database limiting the database size which effectively limits the number of songs in my case to approximately 3700 independent of where they reside; FUZE or SD card.

This is frustrating to me since I cannot access all my songs and I purchased the FUZE to expand up to 32 GB as the microsd cards become available.  For now, I would like to fully utilize the 12GB (net overhead) of the FUZE and microSD.

I appreciate SanDisk support responses to date, but unfortunately, they have not solved this problem.

I would like to know if anyone else has seen this problem and if it is a firmware problem with the FUZE?  I need to know since my 30 day exchange deadline is approaching.  Will I return the FUZE as defective or is there an outstanding firmware bug creating this problem which will be corrected or some other fix I could try?

Make sure you have at least 100mbs free on both the sd card and the Fuze itself.

That space is for refreshing.

Hope you find an answer,

Mark.

from what i have heard Fuze has a 4000 song limit.

Thanks for the input.

I have more than 100MB on the Fuze and microsd card, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

A 4000 song limit seems to be about right.  If that is the case, why 32GB capacity?  The Fuze is essentially an mp3/wma player and 32GB can hold more than 4000 songs at very good quality.

I can’t believe that support wouldn’t know the number of files limit of the fuze.  I kinda wondered myself.  I know another brand’s limits are 4000 internal memory plus 4000 on SD.  They have that information on their specs.  I was kinda hoping the Fuze’s would be the same, but from what I’m reading here it must be about 3800 for both!  That’s not good…  Does anybody know what the official number of files limit is? 

Message Edited by fzone46 on 09-12-2008 05:51 PM

Is this limit going to be removed in the next firmware, because it doesn’t make sense to have an expandable player that can potentially have 40GB have a 4000 song limit, especially if people are already hitting that limit at 12GB.

If it is a real problem, then they should fix it soon!

Just would like to say that I have no other problems with the Fuze and I have given it a good workout.  Sound quality is great and I really like the menus and functionality.  Hoping for additional functions with new firmware upgrade and possibly rockbo.

I agree that if the song limit is real and not just a problem with my Fuze, then hopefully a firmware update will correct it.  Sandisk support has not confirmed that this is a firmware problem though, so I would appreciate it if anyone with over 4000 songs could respond to confirm one way or the other.

Avalon -

I remember someone else bringing this up and quite a lengthy discussion about it. It was about a month ago I think. Unfortunately, I don’t remember exactly what board it was on and I can’t seem to find it at the moment. IIRC, it was determined to be a firmware issue, but whether it’s being addressed in the soon-to-be-released update or if you’ll have to wait for the next one, I don’t know.

Poke around & do some searching. You’ll probably find it. I just don’t have the time to do it right at the moment.

I’d started a new thread on this myself, not knowing of this one.  (Oops, sorry about that!)  Have alerted Sandisk to both, via following message:

Sandisk Support:

My thread can be found at:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=38352

Another thread on the same topic can be found at:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=4030

It seems you’ve been working on this problem, since the fellow in the second link seemed to have had a 4000 file limit, while I now have an 8000 limit.  It still isn’t enough!!!  Why couldn’t Sandisk make the firmware flexible enough to check file count prior to “Refreshing Media” and adjust internal database size accordingly?  In the past revs., seems they could have at least let the user know that they’d exceeded (Sandisk-imposed) file quantity limitations.  At any rate, you need to increase the file limits!  I’ve only got 16MB total, and the future holds up to a 40MB capacity doesn’t it?  (8+32)  I think it’s time for Sandisk to address this in a new firmware realease.

Thanks,

David

Avalon,

Your running some old firmware…  Try updating you firmware…  Latest is v01.02.28A If I remember right…  The v01.02.26A also worked very well… You have a Fuze V1 so I think you will find the firmware to work well for you too…  The V2’s are more buggy with the latest firmware I read.  George

Avalon wrote:

Hi,

I have contacted SanDisk support on this, but I thought that I woul check to see if anyone has seen the same problem.

I have a Sansa Fuze 8gb with a 4gb SDHC card = 12 GB.
My firmware revision is V01.01.11A
I am using Windows XP and have followed all operating procedures provided with the Fuze.

I have stored 4247 songs on the Fuze in wma vbr 50 format; 2918 on the Fuze and 1329 on a 4gb microsd card. 

All 4247 songs are accessible and playable from the Fuzeusing windows explorer and media player.

However, the Sansa Fuze only lists 3698 songs in the database leaving 549 songs which I cannot access from the FUZE menus.  The 3698 accessible songs appear to play fine on the Fuze.

I have changed the mix of songs between the SD card and the FUZE to see if the SD card is the problem, but the number of viewable songs is always between 3690 and 3740 no matter where the 4247 songs reside.

I have manually refreshed the firmware and have reformatted both the FUZE and the SD card.  After writing all songs back to the FUZE, there is no change.

It appears that there is some restriction in the database limiting the database size which effectively limits the number of songs in my case to approximately 3700 independent of where they reside; FUZE or SD card.

This is frustrating to me since I cannot access all my songs and I purchased the FUZE to expand up to 32 GB as the microsd cards become available.  For now, I would like to fully utilize the 12GB (net overhead) of the FUZE and microSD.

I appreciate SanDisk support responses to date, but unfortunately, they have not solved this problem.

I would like to know if anyone else has seen this problem and if it is a firmware problem with the FUZE?  I need to know since my 30 day exchange deadline is approaching.  Will I return the FUZE as defective or is there an outstanding firmware bug creating this problem which will be corrected or some other fix I could try?

My Fuze says it’s rocking firmware version 1.02.31P.  Not sure what the ‘P’ means.

Rob22315 wrote:

My Fuze says it’s rocking firmware version 1.02.31P.  Not sure what the ‘P’ means.

Pacific (area).

I have firmware V02.03.33A

The max amount of files is just over 5700.

Only 5700 files viewable on the Fuze? The database size on the player is limited. Using long filenames, tag names, folder names, and having heavy file nesting is what reduces the number of files the player can see. People usually mention 8,000 as the limit, however the number it can see seems to be related to pathname and tag sizes. Some people did some experiments and made the filenames, folder names and tags very short, and made the file structure very simple(very minimal nesting), and found out that their player could see many more files. I think someone mentioned seeing over 10,000 songs on his Fuze by using two or three  letter filenames, tags and folder names and having very minimal nesting.