Sansa Fuze battery exploded

My surprise after work today was that my Sansa Fuze 4g was split open due to the battery having exploded internally. It still turns on (for now) but the silver battery pack has expanded to a point where the gap between the front and back is about half an inch. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, is it possible to remove the battery and have it solely work by being plugged in? Or how long will it last in this condition? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

You didn’t, perhaps, just by coincidence, hook it up to an iPod charger, did you?

Or leave it in your car in 100 degree heat while you were in an air-conditioned office?

First thing I would do is stop using it now (to possibly prevent further damage) and tell us what you exactly did in what conditions.  It helps a lot if we know what happened.

Obviously, there is a severe battery issue here.

I would telephone SanDisk Customer Service about this–no doubt, it would be very interested to hear about this  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

And, of course, don’t use the player in the meanwhile.

Well, it has not exploded yet. Your battery has experienced swelling. Most likely from overheating. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHARGE THE BATTERY!!! If the battery pouch vents, it will release toxic gas. Lithium-polymer batteries generally will not burn, but they will get extremely hot and release gas. They may cause other materials near them to burn. This type of battery should only be charged at room temperature with the correct charger. NEVER attempt to charge these batteries in a hot car interior, which may have been what caused your battery to overheat.

Just happened to mine.  I hadn’t used it for a maybe a month although it still had about half its charge.  I plugged it into my USB using the supplied SANSA connector and after about 15 minutes it just popped open.  It was still on and working but the battery looks like an airbag that had gone off.  I’ve turned it off

I AM in the US - I bought this at Best Buy about a year ago.

Ack!

/eclectos…

humm, sounds like a few bad batts may have slipped out, would be wise for sandisk to rma these guys players even if they turn out to be a bit outside warr period.

As noted above, telephone SanDisk about this as soon as possible.  Among other things, you have a 1-year warranty on your player and if you are within that period, SanDisk likely will replace it. 

In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.