arg

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

[ Edited ]

namiSWAN wrote:
Maybe some one can post more info about the regions? it depends on what region you chose in the fuze?

I have tested Replay Gain on my V2 in combination with each region with absolutely no success.

I did try to take pictures, but the camera on my phone will not focus on the fuze screen.

Message Edited by arg on 10-14-2009 03:22 PM
SanDisk Senior User

Sorry if I repeat the news from a separate topic - some people (including me) report sound distortion and lower volume level in the new firmware.  I reverted to the previous version and all those problems disappeared. (fuze v2) Unfortunately the enhanced undocumented sensitivity of the radio in the new firmware also gone.
SanDisk User

Too much problems i see? So you have to contact them and report it, about the replay gain, you can take shot of sansa updater to show you have v2 fw, and also shot of what happen to the fuze when mess with replay gain. And as i can see all that problems only with v2 ?
SanDisk Senior User

@ namiSWAN, one would have thought the developers are able to read this forum - after all it is set up by SanDisk, that is by the Company itself.

To contact them, it is too much hassle. Besides the SanDisk customer service speak poor English and there is no guarantee that your efforts would be taken care off. My guess is that SanDisk sacked the old developers team due the the economic crisis hence this kind of firmware. It is just a guess.

Personally I've just reverted to the previous  firmware which sorted it out.

And. yes, you are right it is so far V2. Would be interesting to hear from the proud owners of v1. (those are lucky sods, they can move to the RockBox..)

arg

Etoja wrote:
some people (including me) report sound distortion and lower volume level in the new firmware.

Improper Replay Gain processing can certainly be the culprit of both symptoms.

namiSWAN wrote:
you can take shot of sansa updater to show you have v2 fw

I update my Sansa players manually.

SanDisk Fanatic

I've had no serious issues (yet) with my V2 4Gb Fuze with 02.02.28F

The only issue i've encountered so far is that I can't set a pregain value for replaygain different from 0. 

I haven't noticed any radio enhancement, nor sound quality problems.

Mmm that's weird, some people having serious issues and some others whithout them. But all the issues seem to happen in V2 fuzes.

Tired of Sansa Media Converter? You want to put videos on your fuze but you can't use SMC? Then, check video4fuze

4Gb black fuze v2.02.26 + 8 Gb class 6 µSD
arg

[ Edited ]

ssorgatem wrote:

The only issue i've encountered so far is that I can't set a pregain value for replaygain different from 0. 

After factory reset, entering the Replay Gain option screen has been hit or miss. Sometimes entering the Replay Gain option page causes a white screen, other times it will show a Pre-Gain of 0.0 dB with the rest of the values being blank.

I have noticed that if I manage to enter the Replay Gain option page (which appears to be entirely based on luck) and save the values, I can re-enter and scroll through the Pre-Gain values without a problem. If I manage to enter the Replay Gain option page after factory reset and scroll through the Pre-Gain values without saving them first, it will white screen as soon as I scroll to one of the blank values.

Message Edited by arg on 10-14-2009 05:43 PM
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

arg wrote:

Etoja wrote:
some people (including me) report sound distortion and lower volume level in the new firmware.

Improper Replay Gain processing can certainly be the culprit of both symptoms_______________

Nope. I never use Replay Gain.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 03:11 PM
SanDisk Fanatic

As far as I know, there are absolutely no problems with the v1 firmware. I have tried to get it to go white with replay gain, and have not seen any issues with sound. I don't even get how replay gain works anyway, so it wouldn't even matter anyway.

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

SanDisk Senior User

I does look like the problems might be related only to v2. There are two different processors from ARM for version 1 and 2,  and it affects the firmwire. There might be also some hidden flaws in the v2 - I'm suprised why they refused to release its specification sheet to the RockBox developers.