SanDisk Senior User

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.31

PromisedPlanet wrote:

Doesn't Rockbox have a background refresh function?  Or does this not work on the implementation of Rockbox for the Fuze?

It has it and it works on the Fuze.

However, the 'database' function in Rockbox is off by default. Perhaps Peregrine means you have to turn off the database function manually. After that it can auto-refresh fine.

SanDisk Senior User

PromisedPlanet wrote:

I guess it would be done the way the Sansa Connect does it, right?

I don't have any experience with the 'Connect' so I can only guess at how it works. If it uses a database like the Fuze, it would surprise me if it got incrementally auto-updated in MSC mode. If it uses MTP, it might rebuild the database while syncing (which would be a great moment for it in my opinion).

As for a partial update, perhaps it's my lack of imagination. I am assuming the Fuze firmware has some method of identifying what files it already knew about. Checking the creation/modification date of all files to that stored in the database could be one method. It would still have to check all files though (not just the new ones) to even check which are new. Perhaps the Fuze looks at the actual contents (some sort of checksum?) of all files (for comparison against a value in the database0 which could account for the time it takes.

It's all speculation, but I think most people agree that having a more responsive/sensible way for the database update process would be a great improvement for the Fuze. Personally, it would be the #1 thing for me.

SanDisk Guru

7o9 wrote:

PromisedPlanet wrote:

I guess it would be done the way the Sansa Connect does it, right?

I don't have any experience with the 'Connect' so I can only guess at how it works. If it uses a database like the Fuze, it would surprise me if it got incrementally auto-updated in MSC mode. If it uses MTP, it might rebuild the database while syncing (which would be a great moment for it in my opinion).

The Connect only has MTP mode.  As I described in my earlier post, it does indeed rebuild its database while syncing.
SanDisk Senior User

PromisedPlanet wrote: ...

Sorry, I missed that. Sensible choice for those who use MTP. I don't want to use MTP though Smiley Happy
SanDisk Guru

7o9 wrote:

PromisedPlanet wrote: ...

Sorry, I missed that. Sensible choice for those who use MTP. I don't want to use MTP though Smiley Happy

I don't use it either, but I'll use it if it'll allow me to sync a song to my player without having to wait five to ten minutes for my player to become usable.  Smiley Wink

SanDisk Fanatic

Maybe I have an older Rockbox build?

Mine does NOT initiate a refresh on its own. Ever.

You MUST select REFRESH DB at which point it WILL refresh the DB and it does do so in the background.

I much prefer this method. I know when I put new music on so I only have to refresh when I want it to.

never will understand what people have against MTP mode under windows, for me its never been slower on sansa products even under vista, on samsung it was slower on vista then xp, but 7 its just as fast as MSC mode, and offers stuff MSC mode dosnt, like easy rclick play list creation, very handy......now MTP like used by zune sucks, i hate being forced to use spicific software to access/sync my devices.....but MTP on samsung and sansa products has always worked great for me.........

This update appears to have bricked my v2 8GB Fuze.

I updated the firmware using the updater, it started up just fine but after playing one mp3 as part of an Audiobook the Fuze shutdown and now refuses to turn back on. It doesn't respond to being plugged it nor is the device registered by the computer when plugged in (confirmed using dmesg under Linux).

I am rather disappointed. 

SanDisk Guru

Perform a soft reset on your Fuze: slide the power switch up to the ON position, and hold it there for 20 seconds or so.  Then try powering up the device as usual.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Tried that, tech support was very quick and it is determined that the Fuze likely experienced a hardware failure, however I personally find it a bit curious that it happened right after performing the update to .31. It will go back on warranty then I will try the upgrade with the replacement unit. I have performed the same upgrade to the Fuze I gave my other for Christmas (a v1 4G model, which I am pleased to say brings her a lot of joy, being as she is a non technical person the ease of use has proven very helpful) and it has been flawless so far.