SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.31

Before I say this, I don't really know anything about programming (except, ironically, a little BASIC).

Would it be possible for it to refresh only the parts that have changed?

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

SanDisk Fanatic

Interesting theory, except what happens if a card is removed, modified externally, then reinserted?  What if the Fuze creates a list of files, as well as any other relevant data, including the date that the file was modified, and ID3 data (maybe some kind of *.ini file?), and quickly add/remove/mod data while it scans.  Then, it could *hopefully* just perform a basic scan.  My idea is that it will look for the date of the last modification while it scans current files, and not updating information that may have changed.  Also, what if Sandisk adds a *complete manual refresh* button, just in case something weird happens.

Tired of the Sansa Media Converter? Try Video4Fuze! It can create smaller videos than SMC, and is WAY more reliable!!!!

SanDisk Guru

Interesting.  If the card has had anything written to, or removed from (which is actually a rewrite), the card, there's going to be a change in the file allocation table / directory table.  We could use a checksum method, comparing the log generated by the Sansa with the tables on the card.

Bob  Smiley Happy

Has anyone else experienced the disappearance of "Goodbye" after doing the firmware update?

Fred

Running 01.02.31; Goodbye message is still present.
SanDisk User

Another technique might be for the Fuze to retain a config file for every card inserted.  Most users will only have a handful of cards so the amount of data wouldn't be huge and it wouldn't be hard to add some user settings to aid in managing cards.
SanDisk Guru

neutron_bob wrote:

Upon transfer, the Fuze does manipulate the freshly transferred files a bit.  If you transfer a video, there's a wee thm file with a screen capture.  If you transfer an audio file with "podcast" in the genre field, the Sansa "steals" this file over to the podcast folder.

I've wondered if making a large transfer of music files "en masse" overwhelms the process a wee bit, as several users have reported.

I'm not sure how this explains why the Fuze chooses to re-read the microSD card when just the internal memory's contents have been modified.

It seems like the firmware's algorithm is basically "if anything has changed, re-read everything".  Apparently it DOES know that some media has changed.  It just doesn't know what, or where.  Unlike the Sansa Connect.

[ Edited ]

still no gapless, shame really, looks like I will giving rockbox a go. Also I have noticed that the 'high' option has been removed for European locations. I saw that the volume in normal has been reduced but there was no mention of removing the high/loud option, I have just selected 'rest of the world' option as a location to get it back. (USA had the horrible slotradio icon!)

I can't see us getting another update for a long time if at all. 

Message Edited by s4vva on 01-28-2010 07:53 AM
SanDisk Fanatic

With Rockbox you have to initiate the refresh. Good for most, but for the not so tech savy it might be confusing.

Peregrine wrote:

With Rockbox you have to initiate the refresh. Good for most, but for the not so tech savy it might be confusing.

Doesn't Rockbox have a background refresh function?  Or does this not work on the implementation of Rockbox for the Fuze?