Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

Follow the instructions below to verify the hardware revision of your Fuze before proceeding. 

• Turn on your Fuze 
  • Select Settings from the main menu 
  • Select System Settings 
  • Select Info  
  • Verify the Version #

Revision 1 = 1.XX.XX (example: 1.02.28)

Revision 2 = 2.XX.XX (example: 2.02.28)

If your Sansa Fuze is a Revision 1 please proceed to the Revision 1 download and installation instructions.

If your Sansa Fuze is a Revision 2 please proceed to the Revision 2 download and installation instructions.

SanDisk has just released the 01.02.31 and 02.03.33 firmware revisions for the Sansa Fuze. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Windows Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Fuze in MSC or Auto Detect mode and follow the instructions below. 

MSC mode instructions:

• Turn on the Fuze
  • Navigate to “Settings” on the menu of the device itself 
  • Next select “System Settings”
  • Next, navigate to “USB Mode” and select “MSC”

Sansa Fuze Firmware 01.02.31 download and installation instructions

Manual Firmware Update download and Instructions 

All Regions - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer. 

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Fuze. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Fuze and let it begin the firmware update. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Fuze on Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” > “System Settings” > “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.02.31"x".

Sansa Fuze Firmware 02.03.33 download and installation instructions

Manual Firmware Update download and Instructions 

All Regions - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer. 

• Once extracted, drag the two files to the root directory of your Sansa Fuze. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Fuze and let it begin the firmware update. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Fuze on Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” > “System Settings” > “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 02.03.31"x".

Sansa Fuze Firmware 01.02.31 Release Notes

This firmware has several bug fixes and enhancements, as listed below. Upon completion of firmware upgrade, the device will turn off.  Power on device to complete the upgrade process.  If device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 10 seconds to reset the device and then release and press again to restart.

Enhancements:

• Max volume level is lowered in Normal volume setting to comply with new European Union requirement

• Playback performance of mono WAV and FLAC files is improved

Bugs Fixed:

• Some language strings are incorrect

• Device hangs during playback of corrupted OGG files

• Minor audio distortion when browsing song list during microSD card playback

• Audiobook and podcast counts are not correct in Info screen

• Device restarts or freezes when Replay Gain is selected

• Main menu bitmaps are corrupted after playing AAX files

Known Issues:

• Some language strings are still in English

• Refresh database progress bar doesn’t scale with time

• Refresh database takes a long time for 6000+ songs

• PlayPrevious and Rating info is lost following slotRadio card insertion

Sansa Fuze Firmware 02.03.33 Release Notes 

This firmware has several bug fixes and enhancements, as listed below. Upon completion of firmware upgrade, the device will turn off.  Power on device to complete the upgrade process.  If device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 10 seconds to reset the device and then release and press again to restart. 

Enhancements:

• Max volume level is lowered in Normal volume setting to comply with new European Union requirement
  • Playback performance of mono WAV and FLAC files is improved
  • French and Russian language translation updates

Bugs Fixed:

• Some language strings are incorrect
  • Device hangs during playback of corrupted OGG files
  • Minor audio distortion when browsing song list during microSD card playback
  • Audiobook and podcast counts are not correct in Info screen
  • Device restarts or freezes when Replay Gain is selected
  • Main menu bitmaps are corrupted after playing AAX files
  •  Device restarts/freezes afterchanging backlight to 10 sec
  •  Short video glitch at the beginningof playback 

Known Issues:

• Some language strings are still in English
  • Refresh database progress bar doesn’t scale with time
  • Refresh database takes a long time for 6000+ songs
  • PlayPrevious and Rating info is lost following slotRadio card insertion 
1 Like

Is the Replay Gain Bug Fixed? If so you might want to include that.

Device restarts or freezes when Replay Gain is selected

under bugs fixed 

drlucky wrote:

Device restarts or freezes when Replay Gain is selected

under bugs fixed 

I guess eyes went faster than my brain when I Read that. 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 01-20-2010 03:29 PM

Is this an improvement over .28 or should I keep.26. I also don’t see any mention of implementing gapless playback! :robotmad:!

Having your Fuze running smoothly, and correcting ReplayGain, were priorities.  Please refrain from the popular three-letter abbreviation, as this is a public forum.

“Gapless” is a separate issue, with unique considerations.  Let’s keep this firmware thread on topic, as it’s best to discuss installation issues in this thread.

µsansa

The Sansa Mod Team

Message Edited by microsansa on 01-20-2010 06:27 PM

Very disappointing. I was hoping for some added functionality, especially variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction. I guess there aren’t many developers at Sandisk who realize how important this is for those who listen to many lectures, podcasts, and audiobooks. Some people speak so slowly that it is agonizing to listen to them at less than 1.4x or 1.5x.

Sorry! I listen to a lot of live music and gapless is very important to me.

Njones wrote:
Sorry! I listen to a lot of live music and gapless is very important to me.

It is to many people. However there were bugs that made many people’s players not work at all, and that required major work-arounds. So getting that fixed was obviously the top priority. Gapless may happen someday but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:40 PM

This is sad that you all are still complaning, yes I see your points but still.

Disabling Autoplay is a good idea, not just for the Fuze but even more so for general security. It’s really not a good idea for Windows to run every autoexec.bat on every CD you insert or USB drive you connect to the computer. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-26-2010 07:59 PM

Mmmm…

So now there’s no setting to set volume between normal/max??

This makes the fuze completely useless to me as it no longer has enough gain to power my car stereo…

Is this option only removed in the European version?

EDIT:

As found in thisthread - just reset factory defaults and select “Rest of World” and it’s back - thanks neutron_bob :slight_smile:

Message Edited by kevcal on 01-21-2010 03:49 AM

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Disabling Autoplay is a good idea, not just for the Fuze but even more so for security.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-autoplay-of-audio-cds-and-usb-drives/

I always had mine set so that when I plugged the Fuze V1 in, it would open files and folder for viewing, and it caused no problems, or security risks, for that matter. 

I’m rather pleased with this release, replaygain is back!

Runs stable too (for me)

Pitty about the european law “enhancement” as there is no way to (decently) power  an external device. Should be an option in the menu I would think.

(There is a way around this as described above)

I found something that was not included in enhancements or bugs fixed.  I had the art display in lists off, because it would slow everything down.  If you stopped at all while scrolling, you couldn’t go anywhere until the little picture loaded.  It wasn’t long, but it was annoying.  When I updated it, this was fixed.  You can scroll faster through the video list and the albums list.  I say thanks.

well   i HAVE  INstall the new firmware but  form I have install it   The media converter  cant convert vids to it but only photo.

any one else has this prob ?   

Dragon88 wrote:

well   i HAVE  INstall the new firmware but  form I have install it   The media converter  cant convert vids to it but only photo.

any one else has this prob ?   

This firmware update doesn’t have anything to do with video converting. Please peruse the already exisitng threads on the subject or start a new one, maybe in the Sansa Media Converter board where it should be. :wink:

thanks XD

TomJensen wrote:
Aside from hoping for better optimization on the data refresh, my one request would be for fewer triggers of a refresh. As it is, any read on the files/folders of the Fuze, including playing a MP3 from the PC or a chkdsk, but excluding a directory list, will trigger a refresh, which for a full Fuze will take many minutes, possibly many tens of minutes. For those who use a PC as a charger, and with Autoplay enabled (which it is by default), this drastically curtails the Fuze’s functionality. Hope to see this in the next round.

Here here.  I second this.  Amen.

In particular, I’d like the Fuze to NOT read the entire contents of an inserted expansion card when only the internal memory’s contents have been modified.  A 16GB microSDHC card containing ~3000 songs takes a long time to read. 

I’m not a firmware guy so I don’t know if this is possible (look for something like a “dirty flag” on the card?), but it seemed to me that the Sansa Connect didn’t do this.

That will never happen PP. The Fuze has no way at all of knowing if the card you insert is A) a different card B) the same card with new music on it C) The same card missing some music.

It is just not possible to NOT do a refresh on a card insert.