Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

hi, i am a sansa fuse user… and i am quite happy with it, overall… 

i frequently use my sansa fuse in my car stereo through AUX cable…

I recently updated my firmware through sansa updater

and i was very dissapointed to see that the “volume” option has been removed from the “settings” menu…

so, the music is playing very low in my car stereo and i was wondering if there is some way for me to fix this…

Maybe through some other update or i could find the previous version of firmware and manually install it…

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME,
I am lookin forward to hearing from you (while listening to audio cd’s in my car) >>> 

Do a ‘Factory Reset’ and then set your region to ‘Rest of the World’ and then you’ll get the ‘Max Volume’ option available again.

Search through some threads and you’ll find this question keeps coming up.

kevcal wrote:

Do a ‘Factory Reset’ and then set your region to ‘Rest of the World’ and then you’ll get the ‘Max Volume’ option available again.

Search through some threads and you’ll find this question keeps coming up.

Even this one . . . page 1, message #9.

I had the issue many people seem to have had with OGG files freezing during DB refresh.   This firmware seems to have fixed this.  Hooray!

ogg never caused me problems with db refresh, and its pretty much all I use(main reason i got the fuze was because of ogg support)

My “Goodbye” has also vanished, although it vanished after my first firmware update last year. I thought it was intentional. :open_mouth:

If you select North America, your goodbye message will return.  I had the same problem.

Fred

With the Software 01.02.31, my fuze was so quiet, even mit max. volume, that it was not possible to enjoy any podcast. Thanks for your tip to change the factory defaults and select “Rest of the World”! It works! I will never update my fuze anymore!

@promisedplanet wrote:

@takla wrote:

On the subject of database refresh times:

The file counts you have on your Fuze are very comparable to mine.  How long does your database refresh take?

It’s about 4 minutes.  I believe the reason it is quicker than before is because there used to be an issue with the Fuze hanging with some vorbis comments (ogg vorbis tags) and that seems to be fixed.  I’m guessing the issue was with embedded images because there are two ways of doing it and it’s a problem for whoever supplies the software to play the files…do they use the official method which as far as I can tell no tagging tool uses, or the disapproved of unofficial method which everyone seems to use but can cause problems?  Anyway, finally it all works, vorbis tags, mp3 tags, images, replay gain…no freezing or hanging.  Now how about gapless ha ha ha

david-

Regarding firmware updates, SanDisk maintains all previous versions of the firmware here on the Forums. You can install any version that has been released, so updating isn’t necessarily a one way street.  Generally, I recommend the latest build, as the device should run best with the latest and greatest.

Should issues pop up, the answers are here!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Just wondering…I received the alert to install the latest update and everything seemed to go OK until the very end when a box briefly popped up that said something about "not enough memory"or something to that effect.It went away so fats I couldn’t read it.At any rate the updater still says the newest update is available so I know it did not install. Any ideas on what this is and how I can get around it? I installed the file from the manual instructions but when I click "run"the updater box opens and all it does is “searching for updates” and it will do this forever!

Ron

The latest (build 31) is definitely the one to run.  If your Fuze is stuffed like a lunch sack, as mine often is, since I carry transient files (music from Rhapsody Channels and podcasts), there’s a simple trick.

Temporarily transfer 100MB of music from your Fuze to the desktop, then install the firmware.  You can then reload your music if desired.

Follow the manual installation instructions.  If you don’t have the latest version, you can alternately use the Sansa Updater, as it’s designed only to update with a version higher than that on the device.  It isn’t designed to do a reinstallation, or repair of an aborted attempt.

One caveat: if there wasn’t enough memory available for the swap, and the bin file is still there in the root directory, it may install successfully once there’s enough memory available upon disconnect.  Otherwise, delete the file and try again.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I totally agree that the Fuze is completely useless without the high volume setting. I am a professional sound engineer with over 20 years of experience and has been always very careful of not to hurt my hearing (my ears are my tools!). For those of us who have found out how to come around this problem (with he help of this forum) its OK. But I think San Disk is going to get a lot of dissatisfied customers if they don’t change this. I am using the Koss porta pro with my Fuze. Headphones that is quite easily driven. I measured the SPL (sound pressure level) with a sound level meter with the microphone touching the earpad and maximum level listening to FM radio was between 55-60 dBa listening to speech, and between 60-65 dBa listening to heavily compressed black metal! Measuring flac file i.e… Porcupine Tree (modern compressed rock) resulted in a level between 65-70 dBa. For those of us also listening to dynamic music like jazz and classical its impossible to get any use out of The Fuze! This is like selling a Colt 45 which can only take 22 caliber bullets! I guess we just have to pray that San Disk will keep the high volume setting at least with the “American setting”.

tore wrote:
I totally agree that the Fuze is completely useless without the high volume setting. I am a professional sound engineer with over 20 years of experience and has been always very careful of not to hurt my hearing (my ears are my tools!). For those of us who have found out how to come around this problem (with he help of this forum) its OK. But I think San Disk is going to get a lot of dissatisfied customers if they don’t change this. I am using the Koss porta pro with my Fuze. Headphones that is quite easily driven. I measured the SPL (sound pressure level) with a sound level meter with the microphone touching the earpad and maximum level listening to FM radio was between 55-60 dBa listening to speech, and between 60-65 dBa listening to heavily compressed black metal! Measuring flac file i.e… Porcupine Tree (modern compressed rock) resulted in a level between 65-70 dBa. For those of us also listening to dynamic music like jazz and classical its impossible to get any use out of The Fuze! This is like selling a Colt 45 which can only take 22 caliber bullets! I guess we just have to pray that San Disk will keep the high volume setting at least with the “American setting”.

I’m afraid disagree with you about them being easily driven. I have the Koss KSC75 clip-ons, which share the same specs, and they are certainly more  difficult to drive than my other headphones. That has been the case with 5 or 6 different players, not just Sansas. Fortunately, my other players are more powerful than my Fuze was.:wink:

I’ve just installed the new firmware: even no ID3 v2.4 support… it is so difficult to be conformed to newest ID3 standard?

Piviul

Do somebody know that how to downgrade version from 01.02.31??

I used be US but new living Japan, then My fuze loaded

new firmware but new firmware does not have Japanese FM radio band(76.0-85.0mhz)

I want to listen to the radio. plz help!!

Koji

I’m still waiting for more background colors and a way to put your own image in the main menu :slight_smile:

This firmware is much worse than the previous.  It has frozen so many times on me, and and it’s very glitchy.  For example, today, I was listening to a Pink Floyd song, and when I tried to pause it, it wouldn’t.  I hit pause, it paused for a very brief moment, then kept on going.  It’s frozen up on me, and (I’m not sure it’s because of the firmware or not) but around 1:00 after just turning it on and back off (I had no earphones), it was a little less than half full, but around three (and I have not touched it since then), it was completely dead.  It turned on, but the battery level was at absolutely nothing but a sliver about, oh, a pixel wide, of red.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 02-19-2010 03:24 PM

KOJY,

Just do the manual install of the firmware you want to use… Don’t use the updater… Use Explorer, open the Fuze drive up to it’s root directory and drop the extracted Bin file it that directory " by itself not in any other folder" disconnect and let it shut down . Turn on the unit and set it up as you need too… 

I have give the new firmware v01.02.31a a good going over as far as Mpg’s go and like it so well I decided to install the firmware in all of our units…   Good job SanDisk!!  Thank you! George

I have been using the new firmware for awhile now on a V1 Fuze without any issues… I just uploaded Pink Floyd “The Wall”  it played fine except for the normal end of song  glitches because I didn’t edit them.  This CD runs all the music together and the fuze wants to put a pause or space in between the songs, at least it sounds like that to me. But like i said in my last post I use Mpgs at rate of 192  and so far no issues…  Keep me posted as to what you find…As I just today loaded it into my other units!!  George 

@saxmaster765 wrote:
This firmware is much worse than the previous.  It has frozen so many times on me, and and it’s very glitchy.  For example, today, I was listening to a Pink Floyd song, and when I tried to pause it, it wouldn’t.  I hit pause, it paused for a very brief moment, then kept on going.  It’s frozen up on me, and (I’m not sure it’s because of the firmware or not) but around 1:00 after just turning it on and back off (I had no earphones), it was a little less than half full, but around three (and I have not touched it since then), it was completely dead.  It turned on, but the battery level was at absolutely nothing but a sliver about, oh, a pixel wide, of red.  Does this happen to anyone else?
Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 02-19-2010 03:24 PM