Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

Hey,

I deleted all of the Sansa stuff and reinstall Sansa Updater it does not show up with Sansa Media Converter on it :cry: 

Please Help!:smiley:

I tested .31’s database refresh time against .26’s. It hasn’t changed.

On refresh time: I’ve read the good ideas here on how to mitigate refresh time, and hope that one of them is doable. Yet one more idea is for a pop-up query whenever the player wants to do a refresh: continue/defer/cancel.

Request: I understand that Audible products can have a title-level bookmark (as opposed to a file-level bookmarks that non-Audible audiobooks have). Since the Fuze can recognize and group disparate audiobook files by their titles, would like to request for the bookmark to be made at title level as well.

On better video conversion or support: Given that Sandisk is playing royalties on the codecs, is there any chance you can drop the DivX 5 codec for the superior (and free) XviD? DivX5 is the worst possible MPEG4-ASP choice in terms of quality, even worse than the original 3.11 hack (I’ve encoded w/ all of them). Also, assuming the Fuze is processor-bound to have 20fps or lower, can you let the fps float rather than tie it to a constant 20fps rate? This should fix the SMC sync problem. I’ve read a post from Dec08 by Sansafix that the mod team is doing an SMC update to allow 3rd-party converters. Is this considered dead or on backburner status?

Takla wrote:

On the subject of database refresh times:

I have an 8GB Fuze v2 with a 16GB Micro SDHC (class 2 which means terribly slow read/write speeds, but no problems with playback).  System info tells me that there are 2474 songs on there.  The external SD card has only 74 MB free while the internal memory is at about 60% capacity.  Most of the songs are Ogg Vorbis -q 7 so high bitrate and relatively large file size compared to widely used 128 kbps files.  I also have a a few hundred mp3 files of all kinds of different sizes and bitrates.  Everything is tagged and almost everything has embedded cover art.  Everything has ReplayGain applied.  There are a handful of photos, small video clips and text files on there as well.

The database refresh time is very much faster with the new firmware, and never hangs as it did occasionally with the previous firmware. 

The file counts you have on your Fuze are very comparable to mine.  How long does your database refresh take?

Now Needed Refix again because when you use under photos then (1) Photos A - Z Then (2) Any folder you named then (3) slideshow music after that, home button then here’s a bug.

RickyRicardo28 wrote:
Now Needed Refix again because when you use under photos then (1) Photos A - Z Then (2) Any folder you named then (3) slideshow music after that, home button then here’s a bug.

Huh?

Hi,

Earlier today I was having a problem I thought with the charging cord for my Fuze player.  In the process of double checking the correct setting on the tech site, I noticed a new Firmware Updater.  So I installed my previous version, and went ahead and installed it.  All went well until I tried to update it.

Then I got a message that seems to me off the wall, telling me this:

" There is not enough space available on your device to perform the firmware update.   The minimum space required is 16.0 MB.  Please free some space on your device,  and try again."

I’m one of the “Revision 2”, so I did try that one and the same thing happened…with the same message.

Now, I’m not sure what I did wrong here, but something for sure can’t be right.  I have a 8 MB player with a 8 MB card in it and I would need to remove all my music to install that update.  I’m also running a Vista Home Premium, Windows Media Player 11.

If anyone here has a clue what I might be doing wrong, please feel free to let me know…:slight_smile:

Thanks,   

Amie

Lippy1-

I think you’re confusing MB (Megabytes) and GB (Gigabytes).  1000MB equals one GB.  The Sansa needs some free memory space to install the new firmware, which is roughly 16MB.  Ideally, you should keep 100MB free on the device’s internal memory, as a little transient “breathing room”.

You can temporarily remove some of your music files from the internal memory, to your desktop, then reload after the firmware is installed.

The firmware binary (.bin) file is placed in the Sansa’s root directory during the installation process.  Upon disconnect, the Fuze will see the binary firmware file.  If all is correct, the device will take this file, and will install it into the device’s reserved partition.  After firmware installation, the space needed will be available for music once again.

Again, be careful about your device’s free memory.  It’s best to keep a little free space, to ensure trouble-free listening.

µsansa

microsansa wrote:

Lippy1-

I think you’re confusing MB (Megabytes) and GB (Gigabytes).  1000MB equals one GB.  The Sansa needs some free memory space to install the new firmware, which is roughly 16MB.  Ideally, you should keep 100MB free on the device’s internal memory, as a little transient “breathing room”.

You can temporarily remove some of your music files from the internal memory, to your desktop, then reload after the firmware is installed.

The firmware binary (.bin) file is placed in the Sansa’s root directory during the installation process.  Upon disconnect, the Fuze will see the binary firmware file.  If all is correct, the device will take this file, and will install it into the device’s reserved partition.  After firmware installation, the space needed will be available for music once again.

Again, be careful about your device’s free memory.  It’s best to keep a little free space, to ensure trouble-free listening.

µsansa

OUCH…LOL !!  Yes I was indeed.  I am now updated, thanks to you.  Thanks so much for the quick response.

I’ll be sure to give my little guy some breathing room, as you call it…:slight_smile:

Thanks again jusansa

hi, i am a sansa fuse user… and i am quite happy with it, overall… 

i frequently use my sansa fuse in my car stereo through AUX cable…

I recently updated my firmware through sansa updater

and i was very dissapointed to see that the “volume” option has been removed from the “settings” menu…

so, the music is playing very low in my car stereo and i was wondering if there is some way for me to fix this…

Maybe through some other update or i could find the previous version of firmware and manually install it…

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME,
I am lookin forward to hearing from you (while listening to audio cd’s in my car) >>> 

Do a ‘Factory Reset’ and then set your region to ‘Rest of the World’ and then you’ll get the ‘Max Volume’ option available again.

Search through some threads and you’ll find this question keeps coming up.

kevcal wrote:

Do a ‘Factory Reset’ and then set your region to ‘Rest of the World’ and then you’ll get the ‘Max Volume’ option available again.

Search through some threads and you’ll find this question keeps coming up.

Even this one . . . page 1, message #9.

I had the issue many people seem to have had with OGG files freezing during DB refresh.   This firmware seems to have fixed this.  Hooray!

ogg never caused me problems with db refresh, and its pretty much all I use(main reason i got the fuze was because of ogg support)

My “Goodbye” has also vanished, although it vanished after my first firmware update last year. I thought it was intentional. :open_mouth:

If you select North America, your goodbye message will return.  I had the same problem.

Fred

With the Software 01.02.31, my fuze was so quiet, even mit max. volume, that it was not possible to enjoy any podcast. Thanks for your tip to change the factory defaults and select “Rest of the World”! It works! I will never update my fuze anymore!

@promisedplanet wrote:

@takla wrote:

On the subject of database refresh times:

The file counts you have on your Fuze are very comparable to mine.  How long does your database refresh take?

It’s about 4 minutes.  I believe the reason it is quicker than before is because there used to be an issue with the Fuze hanging with some vorbis comments (ogg vorbis tags) and that seems to be fixed.  I’m guessing the issue was with embedded images because there are two ways of doing it and it’s a problem for whoever supplies the software to play the files…do they use the official method which as far as I can tell no tagging tool uses, or the disapproved of unofficial method which everyone seems to use but can cause problems?  Anyway, finally it all works, vorbis tags, mp3 tags, images, replay gain…no freezing or hanging.  Now how about gapless ha ha ha

david-

Regarding firmware updates, SanDisk maintains all previous versions of the firmware here on the Forums. You can install any version that has been released, so updating isn’t necessarily a one way street.  Generally, I recommend the latest build, as the device should run best with the latest and greatest.

Should issues pop up, the answers are here!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Just wondering…I received the alert to install the latest update and everything seemed to go OK until the very end when a box briefly popped up that said something about "not enough memory"or something to that effect.It went away so fats I couldn’t read it.At any rate the updater still says the newest update is available so I know it did not install. Any ideas on what this is and how I can get around it? I installed the file from the manual instructions but when I click "run"the updater box opens and all it does is “searching for updates” and it will do this forever!

Ron

The latest (build 31) is definitely the one to run.  If your Fuze is stuffed like a lunch sack, as mine often is, since I carry transient files (music from Rhapsody Channels and podcasts), there’s a simple trick.

Temporarily transfer 100MB of music from your Fuze to the desktop, then install the firmware.  You can then reload your music if desired.

Follow the manual installation instructions.  If you don’t have the latest version, you can alternately use the Sansa Updater, as it’s designed only to update with a version higher than that on the device.  It isn’t designed to do a reinstallation, or repair of an aborted attempt.

One caveat: if there wasn’t enough memory available for the swap, and the bin file is still there in the root directory, it may install successfully once there’s enough memory available upon disconnect.  Otherwise, delete the file and try again.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: