Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

still no gapless, shame really, looks like I will giving rockbox a go. Also I have noticed that the ‘high’ option has been removed for European locations. I saw that the volume in normal has been reduced but there was no mention of removing the high/loud option, I have just selected ‘rest of the world’ option as a location to get it back. (USA had the horrible slotradio icon!)

I can’t see us getting another update for a long time if at all. 

Message Edited by s4vva on 01-28-2010 07:53 AM

With Rockbox you have to initiate the refresh. Good for most, but for the not so tech savy it might be confusing.

Peregrine wrote:

With Rockbox you have to initiate the refresh. Good for most, but for the not so tech savy it might be confusing.

Doesn’t Rockbox have a background refresh function?  Or does this not work on the implementation of Rockbox for the Fuze?

@promisedplanet wrote:

Doesn’t Rockbox have a background refresh function?  Or does this not work on the implementation of Rockbox for the Fuze?

It has it and it works on the Fuze.

However, the ‘database’ function in Rockbox is off by default. Perhaps Peregrine means you have to turn off the database function manually. After that it can auto-refresh fine.

@promisedplanet wrote:

I guess it would be done the way the Sansa Connect does it, right?

I don’t have any experience with the ‘Connect’ so I can only guess at how it works. If it uses a database like the Fuze, it would surprise me if it got incrementally auto-updated in MSC mode. If it uses MTP, it might rebuild the database while syncing (which would be a great moment for it in my opinion).

As for a partial update, perhaps it’s my lack of imagination. I am assuming the Fuze firmware has some method of identifying what files it already knew about. Checking the creation/modification date of all files to that stored in the database could be one method. It would still have to check all files though (not just the new ones) to even check which are new. Perhaps the Fuze looks at the actual contents (some sort of checksum?) of all files (for comparison against a value in the database0 which could account for the time it takes.

It’s all speculation, but I think most people agree that having a more responsive/sensible way for the database update process would be a great improvement for the Fuze. Personally, it would be the #1 thing for me.

7o9 wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

I guess it would be done the way the Sansa Connect does it, right?

I don’t have any experience with the ‘Connect’ so I can only guess at how it works. If it uses a database like the Fuze, it would surprise me if it got incrementally auto-updated in MSC mode. If it uses MTP, it might rebuild the database while syncing (which would be a great moment for it in my opinion).

The Connect only has MTP mode.  As I described in my earlier post, it does indeed rebuild its database while syncing.

PromisedPlanet wrote: …

Sorry, I missed that. Sensible choice for those who use MTP. I don’t want to use MTP though :slight_smile:

7o9 wrote:

PromisedPlanet wrote: …

Sorry, I missed that. Sensible choice for those who use MTP. I don’t want to use MTP though :slight_smile:

I don’t use it either, but I’ll use it if it’ll allow me to sync a song to my player without having to wait five to ten minutes for my player to become usable.  :wink:

Maybe I have an older Rockbox build?

Mine does NOT initiate a refresh on its own. Ever.

You MUST select REFRESH DB at which point it WILL refresh the DB and it does do so in the background.

I much prefer this method. I know when I put new music on so I only have to refresh when I want it to.

never will understand what people have against MTP mode under windows, for me its never been slower on sansa products even under vista, on samsung it was slower on vista then xp, but 7 its just as fast as MSC mode, and offers stuff MSC mode dosnt, like easy rclick play list creation, very handy…now MTP like used by zune ■■■■■, i hate being forced to use spicific software to access/sync my devices…but MTP on samsung and sansa products has always worked great for me…

This update appears to have bricked my v2 8GB Fuze.

I updated the firmware using the updater, it started up just fine but after playing one mp3 as part of an Audiobook the Fuze shutdown and now refuses to turn back on. It doesn’t respond to being plugged it nor is the device registered by the computer when plugged in (confirmed using dmesg under Linux).

I am rather disappointed. 

>Enhancements:

>• Max volume level is lowered in Normal volume setting to comply with new European Union requirement

**bleep** Now have no in settings volume. Normal/high.

With my earphones now normal volume is too low. (AKG 530 ltd)

Please give back more volume! Or do other settings for better earphones

Perform a soft reset on your Fuze: slide the power switch up to the ON position, and hold it there for 20 seconds or so.  Then try powering up the device as usual.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Tried that, tech support was very quick and it is determined that the Fuze likely experienced a hardware failure, however I personally find it a bit curious that it happened right after performing the update to .31. It will go back on warranty then I will try the upgrade with the replacement unit. I have performed the same upgrade to the Fuze I gave my other for Christmas (a v1 4G model, which I am pleased to say brings her a lot of joy, being as she is a non technical person the ease of use has proven very helpful) and it has been flawless so far.

my v2 8gb+8gb class6 card didnt have any problem, but the updater wouldnt actually install the update(never failed b4, not sure why it wouldnt work this time) so i did the manual update, really simple and “just works”

glad they where quick to handle your problem, be glad its sansa/sandisk not sony, last time i tried to get an rma on a sony product i spent 2 weeks fighting with them on a daily basis because they insisted it was impossible for what i was saying was happening to be happening…note, the problem got a firmware based fix 9 months later…didnt help me any tho :stuck_out_tongue:

like i said, be glad in this case its sansa, sansa and samsung have given me by far the best support of PMP devices in the last 4-5 years, MS and apple are at the bottem of the list with sony…blame the user=bs if you ask me :slight_smile:

On the subject of database refresh times:

I have an 8GB Fuze v2 with a 16GB Micro SDHC (class 2 which means terribly slow read/write speeds, but no problems with playback).  System info tells me that there are 2474 songs on there.  The external SD card has only 74 MB free while the internal memory is at about 60% capacity.  Most of the songs are Ogg Vorbis -q 7 so high bitrate and relatively large file size compared to widely used 128 kbps files.  I also have a a few hundred mp3 files of all kinds of different sizes and bitrates.  Everything is tagged and almost everything has embedded cover art.  Everything has ReplayGain applied.  There are a handful of photos, small video clips and text files on there as well.

The database refresh time is very much faster with the new firmware, and never hangs as it did occasionally with the previous firmware. 

And now enabling ReplayGain doesn’t cause the White Screen Of Inconvenience.

I’m pleased with the new firmware.   I like the Fuze a lot but don’t think it’s quite perfect. Ideally I’d like gapless playback and sane video playback and conversion. SMC isn’t any use on Debian, and in my experience is not that great on Windows either (installation overwrites existing installed codecs…which encoding applications would you prefer to break SMC, or the other stuff you use?) , but I doubt either will ever appear and I’m not going to worry about it.  

Since updating to the new firmware, the volume is really, really low! So low that when I’m outside I can hardly hear it due to outside traffic noise.

Is this a problem with the update?

EDIT: Sorry guys, found the problem on other post and fixed… thanks!

Message Edited by Jedi_Junky on 01-30-2010 06:40 AM

Hey,

I deleted all of the Sansa stuff and reinstall Sansa Updater it does not show up with Sansa Media Converter on it :cry: 

Please Help!:smiley:

I tested .31’s database refresh time against .26’s. It hasn’t changed.

On refresh time: I’ve read the good ideas here on how to mitigate refresh time, and hope that one of them is doable. Yet one more idea is for a pop-up query whenever the player wants to do a refresh: continue/defer/cancel.

Request: I understand that Audible products can have a title-level bookmark (as opposed to a file-level bookmarks that non-Audible audiobooks have). Since the Fuze can recognize and group disparate audiobook files by their titles, would like to request for the bookmark to be made at title level as well.

On better video conversion or support: Given that Sandisk is playing royalties on the codecs, is there any chance you can drop the DivX 5 codec for the superior (and free) XviD? DivX5 is the worst possible MPEG4-ASP choice in terms of quality, even worse than the original 3.11 hack (I’ve encoded w/ all of them). Also, assuming the Fuze is processor-bound to have 20fps or lower, can you let the fps float rather than tie it to a constant 20fps rate? This should fix the SMC sync problem. I’ve read a post from Dec08 by Sansafix that the mod team is doing an SMC update to allow 3rd-party converters. Is this considered dead or on backburner status?

Takla wrote:

On the subject of database refresh times:

I have an 8GB Fuze v2 with a 16GB Micro SDHC (class 2 which means terribly slow read/write speeds, but no problems with playback).  System info tells me that there are 2474 songs on there.  The external SD card has only 74 MB free while the internal memory is at about 60% capacity.  Most of the songs are Ogg Vorbis -q 7 so high bitrate and relatively large file size compared to widely used 128 kbps files.  I also have a a few hundred mp3 files of all kinds of different sizes and bitrates.  Everything is tagged and almost everything has embedded cover art.  Everything has ReplayGain applied.  There are a handful of photos, small video clips and text files on there as well.

The database refresh time is very much faster with the new firmware, and never hangs as it did occasionally with the previous firmware. 

The file counts you have on your Fuze are very comparable to mine.  How long does your database refresh take?