Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

@promisedplanet wrote:

I guess it would be done the way the Sansa Connect does it, right?

I don’t have any experience with the ‘Connect’ so I can only guess at how it works. If it uses a database like the Fuze, it would surprise me if it got incrementally auto-updated in MSC mode. If it uses MTP, it might rebuild the database while syncing (which would be a great moment for it in my opinion).

As for a partial update, perhaps it’s my lack of imagination. I am assuming the Fuze firmware has some method of identifying what files it already knew about. Checking the creation/modification date of all files to that stored in the database could be one method. It would still have to check all files though (not just the new ones) to even check which are new. Perhaps the Fuze looks at the actual contents (some sort of checksum?) of all files (for comparison against a value in the database0 which could account for the time it takes.

It’s all speculation, but I think most people agree that having a more responsive/sensible way for the database update process would be a great improvement for the Fuze. Personally, it would be the #1 thing for me.