SanDisk Guru

Re: Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 02.38.06

misscrystalyn wrote:

Ok here is another reason to have a seperate MP3 player.  I work with confidential information and my employer will not allow a cell phone to be on while on the floor. 

Ooooh . . . don't let him find out it has voice record capability, or they'll outlaw that too. Smiley Surprised

SanDisk User

Crap, you're right... Oh well.  Less my boss knows the better I am.

Crystalyn

Sansa Children:E250,E260 V2, 2 4g Red Sansa Fuze, 4gb Red Sansa Fuze V2 and a 8 gb Silver Fuze(adopted), and 8gb Fuze +-Can't have too many Fuzes

Playlists are apparently impossible. Got the Fuze+ a few days ago. Never would've dreamed I'd spend all this time going in circles, but that's all I've been doing since trying everything possible to transfer a playlist that doesn't read empty using Ubuntu.

At least now I know about Rockbox and can keep my fingers crossed that it will soon be here. I only paid $40 for my unit off ebay. Now I know why. On the other hand, I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox that cost about $400 way back when. As clunky as it is, it's less annoying than the Fuze+ in some ways.

Firmware will probably have to reach 5.5+ before this forum reflects happy, smiling users.

SanDisk Senior User

fuze+ only handles m3u(8) playlists if all the files are in one folder. .pla playlists work as expected. I don't know how you'd make them on Ubuntu.

RB is here and still unstabe but I've been using it for days now fine.

I was banging my head against the wall with playlists.

PROBLEM:

Using Ubuntu with m3u files produced an empty playlist no matter what I did.

SOLUTION:

Booted into Windows, used WMP to create a playlist, I now know how to make playlists work.

OPINION:

Fuze+ is okay once you figure out how to use it. I think it's confusing and clunky, but it works. For $40, there's not much to complain about at this point. Looking forward to firmware updates or Rockbox to make it seamless with Linux. If you're 100% Linux and you want playlists, you're probably out-of-luck for now. If you beg to differ, please, tell me your secret.

Okay, so it's reported that .pla files will work.

Hopefully this will eliminate the need to use WMP.

sudo apt-get install fapg

manpage
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man1/fapg.1.html

example
Generate a playlist that will work on a Sansa e200 series  MP3  player:
       fapg -f pla -o /path/to/playlist.pla /path/to/all/music

Right now i have seen - that development of rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuzePlusPort has been improved a lot since the last time... hopefully they'll setup a good firmware!!!

Had a 16gb Fuze + for two days. Loaded some music, podcasts, and a few videos. (MSC mode)

Updated to firmware 02.38.06. After the firmware update my podcast folder seems to have ended up with duplicates of all the podcasts that were on the Fuze+ before the update. Notice PODCASTS had changed to BOOKS after the firmware update, don't know if this somehow caused the duplication.

Now I am concerned the file structure might be a bit wonky. Is a Format the best way to set things back to a more pristine state?

SanDisk Guru

dhartsoc wrote:

Now I am concerned the file structure might be a bit wonky. Is a Format the best way to set things back to a more pristine state?

Yep. Then you can re-load everything.

SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

Reformatting AND also reloading the firmware believe it or not does NOT technicaly

restore your device to stock original states. I confirmed this by dumping the filesystem databases

before AND after firmware upgrade + reformat and reset settings

and using a comparison tool i could see TONS of references to content i had put on in the past..

And to the guy talking about the playlists earlier,

I coded a program that can do a bunch of things to the Fuze+

one of them is it can read what formats it supports

and i can see that the only format for playlist that returns "supported" (through the MTP api)

is .m3u playlists.

So,

WMDM_FORMATCODE_WPLPLAYLIST, "WPL Playlist" = NO
WMDM_FORMATCODE_M3UPLAYLIST, "M3U Playlist" = YES Supported
WMDM_FORMATCODE_MPLPLAYLIST, "MPL Playlist" = NO
WMDM_FORMATCODE_ASXPLAYLIST, "ASX Playlist" = NO
WMDM_FORMATCODE_PLSPLAYLIST, "PLS Playlist" = NO

WMDM_FORMATCODE_ABSTRACTAUDIOVIDEOPLAYLIST, "Abstract AudioVideo Playlist" YES Supported