Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 02.38.06

heavy/newbie

You’ve both missed the point.

Folder View should be a mechanism for allowing you to browse the structure of your music (it doesn’t work for audiobooks or podcasts).

Whether tagging or folders or whatever are used for browsing, it’s all down to how the firmware builds the .idx and .dat files. All it is a is a database of your music with a bunch of indexes allowing you navigate in a particular way.

Having some kind of stucture and hierachy allows you to group your music the way you like.(i’d also like to group my podcasts similarly into Crime,Sci-fi,Drama etc - which is hard when you have to rely on them all being tagged as podcasts).

Once you’ve navigated through the folders (not files) until you’ve found the tracks you want then there are numerous ways yo could present them, Alphabetic, Track No,Date, Size etc. (in just the same way that when you navigate through a folder structure in Windows Explorer you have a choice of how it’s presented).

Flexibility should have been built in allowing you to select (as you can in Explorer) how the individual files are presented once you get down to the folder level. (honestly it’s not that difficult, all you have to do is is use a different part of the media information when you’re processing an individual track and building the key).

Personally I wouldn’t have added it to Music, but would have added it alongside Music,Video,Books etc as a global option as to how to browse all media on the device. Then I could have browsed my Videos so I can decide whether I want to watch a cartoon or sci-fi instead of having to browse by file name. Ditto podcasts etc.

p.s. further investigation shows that the files/tracks are not sorted into filename order but in fact are sorted into title sequence i.e the sequence of the title tags!!!