Restarting Audio books on the Fuse +

It is too difficult to restart an audio book in the podcast section of the fuse +.   If you are on chapter 20, play music, and return, you will be given the option to resume. But instead taking you to  20/25 the easy option leads to 1/10.  It will play 20 and then 1 of the last 10 podcasts/audiobooks files played last–not the rest of the book.  To go to 21 is like starting over: not the thing you want to do when driving.  The other option is, when you get in the car, go to chapter 20 (like starting over)  and advance in time (11 of 34 minutes), select play and lock the screen, then put the car in drive.

The 1/10 in audio books has no value.  Even with a podcast I would want to hear the next file of the same type–not 1 of the 10 of the past. 

I am reluctant to say this, but the old fuse was much better.  You could play every audio book on the player a few minutes at a time.  You could resume a book a month later and not have to remember the chapter.   You can also do the same on a podcast.  You do not need to remember which Car Talk podcast you were on last. 

Please do not suggest buying an old player.  I have 4 of the new units.   I have two old units that are wearing out.  Hopefully the fix will come before my backup units fail completely.

It would also help in finding book 20 if the album art did not show on the left once you selected a book.  It is sometimes a guessing game to find book 20.  

This is much less a problem for me now.  I was tempted to remove this posting, but I though there might be someone that would appreciate what I have come to understand.  

This is not the perfect solution but it works for me. 

When I wish to restart an audio book in the podcasts section after playing the radio. I make use of the last 10 files display.  This is the first thing you see when returning to the Book section.  The first thing I do is press the play button.  The unit will start playing the file where I left off.  While this file is playing or paused, press the back button.  Pick the book you were playing from the list and scan the mP3 files in the book for the file that have a play or pause mark showing. Select this file.  Opt to Resume the Playback when asked.  You are done.  

Fast and easy with a little practice. 

1 Like

“Fast and easy with a little practice.” Well, perhaps.

As a solution to this very problem, I tried to merge the files into a huge one. I have come across 2 problems then, for which this does not seem a good way for me either:

• playback starts randomly in the vicinity of where I have left off, but not there.
  • if in dim conditions, one inadvertently pushes the left/right button, the device jumps ahead to the next book. To get back, one has to know the exact hour/min/sec where it was, and even then, it takes quite a time to rewind/fast forward…

Merging: I used ffmpeg to fix the time stamps of the joined huge mp3 file.

I recently found a better way to handle my books.  When I did, I deleted all of my books on my player and reloaded.  This may be what you need to do.  Change the genre to podcast and reload.  

@partemon wrote:

As a solution to this very problem, I tried to merge the files into a huge one. I have come across 2 problems then, for which this does not seem a good way for me either:

• playback starts randomly in the vicinity of where I have left off, but not there.

Merging: I used ffmpeg to fix the time stamps of the joined huge mp3 file.

Try to download mp3Diags and check the file made by ffmpeg. I found mine had wrong vbr-headers. Corrected them and resume was ok. This also fixed the issue with wrong play-length shown by the fuze+.

@partemon wrote:

• if in dim conditions, one inadvertently pushes the left/right button, the device jumps ahead to the next book. To get back, one has to know the exact hour/min/sec where it was, and even then, it takes quite a time to rewind/fast forward…

yepp, that’s a big problem. I gave up with the fuze+ for listening to audiobooks. Went back to clip+ which is ideal for listening to audiiobooks. I only wish the fuze+ had the same audiobookfeatures as the Clip+ has.  I dont want to remeber wich of the 200 files i was listening to when i left of  to listening to some music. An then when i come back scroll to the one file myself… That Job is done by the clip+ perfecly. Only battery-time is poor on the clip+. 

Most of the time I have to rub my finger to build heat to work the display. I also have to do this for  the Red Box video rental.  When walking fast on a hot day, I have jumped chapters.  The top 10 list as describe  above is the fastest way back to the second of play.  Do not backup into the file.  You will lose your place.

I asked that the chapter skip on/off in setup be turn into something real.  Updates are not as quick in coming as many would like.

Nice to hear about the clip.  I thought about buying one of those before I got over most of my frustrations. I purchase a second Fuse+.  I would like to be able to read 10 books at one time.  Now I can read 2 books.:smileyvery-happy:   I could not pass up a 8GB unit for $39.