SanDisk User

Re: Replay Gain: A how to informational

[ Edited ]

Testing with file-per-track FLAC files, the Fuze can read the RG tags - but changing between album and track mode or even the pre-gain makes no audible difference to the output.

With FLAC images with embedded cue sheet, the Fuze does not pick up *any* Replay Gain information from the file.

[edit] Ah, you have to stop the player and start again to get the RG to affect the output - pausing will not change it. [/edit]

Message Edited by NickC on 05-07-2009 01:31 PM
[rockbox] Sansa Fuze 8GB Silver + 16GB;
FLAC [RG]: 881kbps;
lossyFLAC --portable [RG]: 378kbps;
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The Fuze applies the replay gain adjustment only when the  track is started.  Settings are not monitored or updated until another track is started or the track is restarted.

[ Edited ]

Well, I believe I have got something. It appears that if mp3 has v1+v2 tags (doesn't matter if it is 2.3 or 2.4) then replaygain is not seen by the fuze. But, if the v1 tag is removed (say, in mp3tag), then replaygain is magically here.

So, may be fuze can see replaygain in mp3 if there is _only_ a v2 tag?

Message Edited by borka on 06-04-2009 02:47 AM

Hmm - it could be something like that. Although, for the few MP3 files of mine that the Fuze does recognise RG tags, they do have v1 tags too.

I'm rather disappointed with this RG implementation. This was supposed to be the "big reason to not use rockbox" - and yet it has been very sloppily implemented. Judging by the fact that Sansa have recommended specific software for applying RG to the MP3s, it seems that they haven't tested compatability with a range of applications.

The fact is, I've been using RG now for over 4 years. My MP3s work fine with Rockbox, Winamp, Foobar, XBMC, MP3Tag, and any other program I've used over the years with RG support - but not the Fuze. I'm not going to change my 60GB plus of personally encoded MP3s.....

SanDisk Guru

Not to worry, this latest firmware incorporated many individual code changes.  I'm sure that the glitches will be worked out in a future firmware release.

This is one advantage of such an active forum!  There's plenty of feedback from the field.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Well, _if_ there will be future firmware. Let's hope.

For me replaygain works Ok - that is, if there is id3v1 it sometimes works, sometimes no. But if the id3v1 is removed, it works 100%.

But, the main annoyance now is 2.4 incompatibility - and problems with foobar.

SanDisk Fanatic

What problems with Foobar?
"Faith manages"
- jms
SanDisk Guru

borka wrote:

Well, _if_ there will be future firmware. Let's hope.

For me replaygain works Ok - that is, if there is id3v1 it sometimes works, sometimes no. But if the id3v1 is removed, it works 100%.

But, the main annoyance now is 2.4 incompatibility - and problems with foobar.

They were using MediaMonkey and ReplayGain when they worked on it....could it be that MM and foobar use it differently?

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

roj wrote:
What problems with Foobar?

Foobar's replaygain ignored or the genre and/or other tags are seen as a garbage (depending on foobar preferences). You cannot get both tags and replaygian working Smiley Sad

Marvin_Martian wrote:
....could it be that MM and foobar use it differently?

Yes, it could. But MM and replaygain do see each other replaygain data. And I notice that id3v2-2.3 without id3v1 in foobar works not 100%, but sometime fails. And even more - sometimes MM doesn't work either (for example, if tags are edited with mp3tag afterwards).

SanDisk Fanatic

OK, I'm not having the problem and potentially here is why:

I use MP3Tag for tagging (kicks Foobar's butt royally in that department).  I use Foobar for Replaygain only - not tagging.  MP3Tag is configured as follows:

ID3 V1 support - ON

ID3Tag 2.3 support - ON (UTF-16)

Read:

ID3V1

ID3V2

APE Tags

Write:

Read:

ID3V1

Delete:

ID3V1

ID3V2

APE Tags

It's all good.

If I download MP3s, I remoe all tags using MP3Tag and re-tag them.  I get all tag fields recognized and ReplayGain tags also seen.  I don't like Media Monkey because I see no reason to load yet another piece of software on my system for no good reason.

"Faith manages"
- jms