Replay Gain: A how to informational

@drlucky wrote:

@miltst wrote:

I should also point out that no one has been working on or updating MP3Gain since the beginning of 2005.  

On the other hand though, the people behind Replay Gain are still continuing to work and update their stuff to keep up with the ID3 tag spec changes. So, Replay Gain stands a much better chance of remaining funtional in the future.

well which one is it? and what are your sources?  

My comments are just an opinion and pure speculation on my part.

Many companies have added Replay Gain support to their music management and ripping software. Likewise, many portable player manufacturers have been including support for it as well (just like Sandisk added support for it in the latest Fuze firmware upgrade). It also appears that the people involved with changes to the ID3 Tag specification seem to be leaving more options to allow Replay Gain than they are for MP3Gain.

Rather than relying on my speculation about things, I’d recommend you do some Google searches for MP3Gain, Replay Gain, and ID3 Tags and then decide for yourself which one is likely to continue to work in the future. At this point in time they both work. If they both will continue to do work, or if one wins out over the other in the future still remains to be seen.

Just as a side note… MP3Gain only works with MP3 files, while Replay Gain can be used with many other file types like FLAC or OGG (if your music management or ripping software has Replay Gain sound leveling support built in or if it can be added as a a plug-in).

(Edited to add comment about additional file types)

Message Edited by miltst on 04-10-2009 05:14 AM