Replay Gain: A how to informational

@tapeworm wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Note:  Fuze does not support APEv2 tags used by MP3Gain.

It used to. Are you saying you took this out?

I don’t believe the Fuze actually ever did support APEv2 tags, it just ignored them so that if they were there they didn’t bother anything.

A while back I did a lot of looking around on the net to find out more about MP3Gain (before using it). From what I read, even though it says it does not alter the actual music in the MP3 file it does alter the information for each block header to tell the player what level to play the block at (if the player actually pays attention to the block header info for level). It also adds other MP3 tags, as well as the APEv2 tags (for players that can make use of those instead).

As long as the proper stuff MP3Gain changed/added is in an MP3 file it can also reverse the process by reseting the block headers and removing the additional extra tags.

Anyway, that’s how it all sounded like it worked from what I had read. So, as long at the Fuze read the block header data to control each blocks volume the APEv2 tags should not have been needed and were just ignored.

Now, if the above is true, I really do not understand the need for the ReplayGain feature in the latest Fuze firmware as far as MP3 playback goes. However, it may be usefull for the other file types (that MP3Gain does not work with).

I don’t remember where I read about MP3Gain changing the block data now anymore. May have been on Wikipedia. Anyway, do some Googling and see if you (eventually) come up with what I mentioned above and let the rest know more here. I’m going to bed now, otherwise I’d hunt around for the info myself.