Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
buckminster

Re: Problem with playlists ( M3U, M3U8's)

Bueller? Anyone?

Okay, to simplify things as much as possible, I created a simple playlist the contents of which are:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:,Block Rockin Beats
Chemical Brothers-Block Rockin Beats.MP3
#EXTINF:,Block Rockin Beats 1
1\Chemical Brothers-Block Rockin Beats 1.MP3
#EXTINF:,Block Rockin Beats 2
1\2\Chemical Brothers-Block Rockin Beats 2.MP3

When I go to the playlist within the player's interface, the only song listed is the first one, which is in the same directory as the m3u file. I've run restore and format and re-copied all of my songs, and the problem still exists.

If I add songs to the "Music Go List", from within the Fuze+'s interface, songs within subfolders show up just fine. Unfortunately, the Music Go List file in the Playlists folder contains nothing in it, so this playlist must be maintained somewhere else on the player, so I can't determine how it lists songs in subfolders.

Are there any users that have been successful in creating their own playlists and have songs within subfolders show up?

SanDisk Guru
drlucky

If you create the m3u exactly like i did in the post linked below it works.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Problem-with-playlists-M3U-M3U8-s/m-p/221946/highlight/true#M1628

buckminster

I created this one, which is similar enough to yours that it should work:

#EXTM3U
1\1234.mp3
1\2\Reaction.mp3

Neither song shows up - the playlist is listed as empty. There is obviously a bug in the m3u parser somewhere, although the fact it works for some people (well, at least drlucky) and not others seems bizarre.

The Fuze+ also seems to store a copy of the parsed m3u data somewhere else, because I noticed I edited an existing m3u file on the player (from a text editor) and the songs listed in that playlist on the Fuze+ interface did not reflect those changes. It only showed the changes if I deleted the m3u file and replaced it.

So is there anyone else besides drlucky that has been successful with this?

beezer

Forget M3U playlists, they do not work with subfolders.  drlucky must have a different O.S. to the general public.

Connect to the computer in MTP mode.

Select & right click a track to include in your list & select Create Playlist.

Rename the New Playlist.pla as Your List.pla.

Move Your List.pla to the Playlists folder.

Click Your List.pla & click Reference tab.

Left drag other tracks to add to the Reference tab.

When finished click OK.

Disconnect from the computer & Your List.pla will now play across subfolders.

As of O.S. 02.36.03 I can't get this to work into the microSD card.

SanDisk User
Kalidor

AS of the latest firmware, still does not work. I could dance around and try to make files till the cow's come home but here's the upshot.

At the end of the day I put three files in a subfolder, add them to a winamp list and save the file as an m3u or m3u8 to the root of the device or the SD card , and it will not play. By defination the moment this happens it doesn't support m3u. Winamp came up with and maintains the specification at this point, so the closest that can be said is that it supports some m3u-like file spec.

I think the most damning of all is simply that I can pop the SD card into my Fuze, my friend's clip, and the Fuze+. The only device it doesn't work on is the Fuze+.

I've reset the device, used the updater to download the latest firmware, but the simple fact remains is that the Fuze+ is the only device in my somewhat large arsenal of m3u reading devices that fails to be able to decipher the playlists on my SD cards in anything other than a flat file structure.

BlowninaFuze

FUZE+ "Playlist Empty

FUZE+ "Playlist Empty" - Same problems 6 months on?????

No luck here with ANY playlists except the only one that shows any entries is "Music Go List", and I can find where it's located so can see the contents....

I've tried WMP / J RIVER / WINAMP - MTP MSC USB Modes - all sort of differently formatted playlist, but none work (other than "Music Go List")

Shame really as I have 5.5K MP3's and need playlist of DECADE 60's / DECADE 70' / PART5 / 5 STAR etc. etc. else it take ages to locate a song with no SEARCH option

I live in hope!!

Broken iPod Touch 3G 32GB :-)
Sansa Fuze+ | 5.5K MP3's | Sennheiser cx500
Arcam Solo | Monotor Audio 250's | REL Quake Sub-Bass
SanDisk Guru
drlucky

Re: FUZE+ "Playlist Empty

[ Edited ]

you say you ahve tried windows media player playlists? I ahve no problems at all with WMP playlists. here are the instructions i use and done have any problems at all. honestly i tested M3U playlists as well and didnt see the issue. see my other posts in this thread. That said WMP playlists is the easiest way to go. 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/946/kw/creating%20playlists#sync_playlist

SanDisk User
Kalidor

Certainly it's work around but it doesn't relly address the problem. If we already have all our media in m3u(8) lists and we have all our other infrastructure working on it, its a problem. If my computer can play it, my phone can, my PS3 can, my old Fuze can, hell even my outdated 80 dollar car radio can, the fact that the fuze+ cannot is a problem.

As all the different formatting tricks. Great for troubleshooting and work arounds, but bottom line is if you can't just save a few mp3's onto the device or a card and make and save a playlist in winamp, it does not support m3u(8) files. End of story. The define e format and if it does not work each and everytime it simply isn't compliant.

SanDisk User
Kalidor

By the way, that's still not technically using a windows playlist.  That's creating a playlist in windows media and syncing it to wherever using the MTP api's that are blackboxed within the device.

In the end, on the player it still results in the same storage as if you used drag and drop and created playlist, readable only by the device.  Bottom line is, the device is being treated and seems to have been designed to fuction in a vacuum, not an ecosystem of mutliple music avenues.

If that's the case, simple do this. do away entirely with MSC mode. In the current state it's barely useful. Secondly, don't support microSD cards other than radio cards. The way it works now, and the kind of support that is being listed here indicates that the port is very much designed to be a radiocard slot, and supporting other memory is much of an after thought. I'd say do away with the slot entirely but I know Sandisk is trying to get what it can out of radio slot in terms of revenue, and I have nothing against them for that.

I'll be honest, at this point the Fuze+ seems like flop to me. IT's a neat litte video player but I got other devices for that .  Both the support and design seems to be very much geared to an MTP usage leaving MSC users with relatively lousy support. This is probably on the basis that Windows environments are a large percentage of the user base. But there are also windows users who do NOT want to run in MTP mode, who do not want to use blackboxed API's (or use them as little as possible), and who do want the system to be compaitble devices that aren't running Windows XP, Vista, or 7. 

SanDisk made a very nice little player here. However, simply put, it's advertized as something it's not. It doesn't have the openness that we've come to expect from the Sansa lines and it's not being advertised as it's primary focus is on a very narrow ecosystem. My problem is that I am an advanced user, with all kinds of passive syncing and adding being done from multiple sources, with multpile playblack routes and it requires a certain level of standards being adhered to. This is sadly, a device designed for the "tell me how to do it and don't explain" crowd and so far has not done a great job scaling up to a more advanced crowd.

BlowninaFuze

Thanks Dr. Lucky - I won't give up - yet! - I'll give it a go - thanks for your response :smileyhappy:

Broken iPod Touch 3G 32GB :-)
Sansa Fuze+ | 5.5K MP3's | Sennheiser cx500
Arcam Solo | Monotor Audio 250's | REL Quake Sub-Bass