Not enough space for DB music and must free space

My Sansa was working fine and then I downloaded some music onto the sansa. Then it state not enough space for DB music and I need to clear 90mb. I was downloading the music to the sd card in the mp3. Now when I hook it up to my computer it won’t sync to my media player. I deleted all my music from my media player and mannually sync it up and it still won’t delete the song on the sansa. Please help anyone!!!

Use the Format function in the Settings menu to clear the memory completely and read this FAQ.

it won’t let me bring up the menu on the sansa. i get that message as soon as i turn it on and when i plug it into my computer.

Oops, that’s right. OK, push your power switch to the DOWN/LOCKED postion. Hold the left |<< button while plugging the player into the computer. This should force an MSC connection even if the player is set to MTP.

Your player should then be seen in Windows Explorer under Drives with Removable Storage as 2 separate drives. The 1st one will be the player; the 2nd will be the card slot, whether there is a card inserted or not. Now right-click on the player’s drive and select Format … . Do not select ‘Quick Format’.

Once un-plugged from the computer, run the Fuze’s on-board Format conmand again; this will optimize the cluster allocation for best performance.

I’ve tried formating by using the On button in hold position and holding |<<, or with holding it down in center position. My computer doesn’t show the Sansa Fuse in Windows Explorer so I can’t format it there. When I disconnect it it stays on until I hold the ‘on’ button in off position for about 8 - 15 seconds.  What else can I try?

Message Edited by mnphotographer on 05-17-2010 11:46 AM

Hold with << doesn’t format on its own. It should force the connection to Windows, and then you right-click and format. Is that what you are trying?

Also, if the bad file you transferred was on the SD card, have you taken out the card and tried to start? 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 05-17-2010 07:51 PM

I’m having the same problem, but I’ve got a Mac–any suggestions for me?  When I connect the Fuze to the computer, I have deleted all the files (audiobooks) that have shown up on the screen.  A check of all folders shows them as empty, but the same message (“delete 90mb”) keeps appearing.   I’m unable to get anything else to show on my Fuze screen.  I’ve tried both reformatting techniques and the darn thing just doesn’t.  Help?  Anyone?

wanted to thank everybody for their advice on this subject.  I’ve abused a few of these and had to replace them, but never had this happen to me before.  after a few different attempts on this advice, I finally got it to work.  I am on the border of needing my mp3 player; brier story is that I get migraines from screaming kids, and playing my music loudly to drown them out in the case of an emergency helps prevent my getting a migraine.  thank you for your help.

I got this message when I was downloading some music from my wife’s computer.I have tried all suggestions except to format. I don’t won’t to lose all my music. I have collected it for 6 years but there is no way the 8 GB have been used. What can I do. The sansa fuze does show up in the device menu.How did you fix yours?

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/kw/not%20enough%20space%20for%20music

@billie wrote:

I got this message when I was downloading some music from my wife’s computer.I have tried all suggestions except to format. I don’t won’t to lose all my music. I have collected it for 6 years but there is no way the 8 GB have been used. What can I do. The sansa fuze does show up in the device menu.How did you fix yours?

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/kw/not%20enough%20space%20for%20music

Your wife’s computer must have tags in a format the Fuze doesn’t like. Take the music from there off the Fuze.

Then connect in MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode/MSC) and look at the Sansa Fuze drive. Delete the file MTABLE.SYS.  That’s the database file that got messed up. When you disconnect the Fuze it will build the database again from scratch, and you may not have to format it.

Before you put albums from your wife’s computer on the Fuze, run them through mp3tag as explained here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/No-more-albums-showing-up/td-p/287950

There’s one more possibility missing from the Knowledge Base article, the FAT (File Allocation Table) might be corrupted.

For sure, formatting the device results in a new FAT, but it also deletes your media from the device.

If you connect to the PC, either use the chkdsk utiity from a command line, or let Windows pull the utility for you. Using Windows Explorer, right click on the connected Sansa and select properties , then the Tools tab, then select Check Drive For Errors.

This option is only available if connected in MSC Mode (where the Sansa is accessed as a memory device, and is seen with a  drive letter assigned like E: assigned.

You can manually force an MSC connection as shown in this guide. When finished, safely remove the device,and the dbase will refresh. If the repair was successful, itsdatabase will refresh, and you will be back in business!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Connect to Macbook and go to Disk Utilities.   Select First Aid from buttons at top of Disk Utilities.   When First Aid runs it should clear up the problem without having to reformat disk.