Newly Added Music Will Not Play

My Fuze is pretty well loaded with music (no videos or pics), and I keep it on random shuffle almost constantly. One day I realized that there some songs I never heard, so I went through my library on the device and checked each album. Some of them would be listed and when I tried to play them it just displayed the song title and immediately skipped to the next title without ever playing the songs. I hooked my device to my PC and deleted the faulty albums.

After re-loading them they still wouldn’t play, and any other newly added  music will not play either. Please tell me I don’t have to wipe out my library and reformat this stupid thing.

Skipping through titles like that means that the music is in a format the Fuze doesn’t play–like iTunes’ .m4a or .aac files. You’re going to have to convert them to .mp3.  You can do that with iTunes.

Thanks, That was sorta what I figured. I just purchased a new computer, and it converted my entire library to WMA files when I dumped it onto my hard drive from my external.
What a pain.

I’m not a huge fan of Apple products, so I did a little searching and found a really simple and fast converter for free. No bugs and no glitches. It’s called “Switch”, the free download is on the right side, mid-way down.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/mp3.html?gclid=CJ738fSh7qQCFQIGbAodeFsV1w

Switch is OK, but be careful when you install it–it will also try to install a bunch of other NCH programs that will soon start nagging you to pay for them.

The Fuze does play .wma,  so it’s hard to tell what’s going on with your files. The default in some versions of Windows Media Player is to “protect” your files by adding copy protection—screwing up playback.Switch may not be able to convert them because they’re protected.  And even if it did, you have now done a double conversion–.mp3 (original) to .wma to .mp3, losing sound quality at each step.

If you still have your other copies, put the Fuze in MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode) and drag-and-drop them directly onto it.

If you really want to use Windows Media Player, go into its Synch setting and turn off Auto, and go into Rip and change the default format to …mp3 at a high bitrate (192 kbps or above).

I’m not a big Apple fan either, but most of the folks who have had this problem are trying to play iTunes songs.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Switch is OK, but be careful when you install it–it will also try to install a bunch of other NCH programs that will soon start nagging you to pay for them.

The Fuze does play .wma,  so it’s hard to tell what’s going on with your files. The default in some versions of Windows Media Player is to “protect” your files by adding copy protection—screwing up playback.Switch may not be able to convert them because they’re protected.   And even if it did, you have now done a double conversion–.mp3 (original) to .wma to .mp3, losing sound quality at each step.

If you still have your other copies, put the Fuze in MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode) and drag-and-drop them directly onto it.

If you really want to use Windows Media Player, go into its Synch setting and turn off Auto, and go into Rip and change the default format to …mp3 at a high bitrate (192 kbps or above).

I’m not a big Apple fan either, but most of the folks who have had this problem are trying to play iTunes songs.

I think this is the key to why they’re not working.

Good 'ol WMP strikes again! :smileyvery-happy: