Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SketchyCat
Accepted Solution

Maximum GB for SD cards

[ Edited ]

I've been converting a lot of my music from mp3 to FLAC since I discovered my Fuze could play FLAC and I got decent headphones. I want to get a microSD card to expand the space but I want to know if there's a limit to how many GB the SD card can have. Would any microSD (even 32gb capacity) work? 

Also will the player show "refreshing your data" every time you turn the fuze on with the card inside? Is playing music on the card going to lag?

SanDisk User
Jayryl

Re: Maximum GB for SD cards

Sansa Fuze support up to 32GB microsdhc:  http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/200/

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

[ Edited ]

SketchyCat wrote:

Would any microSD (even 32gb capacity) work? 

Also will the player show "refreshing your data" every time you turn the fuze on with the card inside? Is playing music on the card going to lag?

Yes, any SD or SDHC card will work up to the maximum 32GB. Note that the Fuze does have an 8,000 (+/-) database track limit though. So depending on your file format and bit-rate you could conceivably exceed this limit. The excess files will still transfer OK and reside on the card, but the Fuze will not 'see' them.

The database refresh only occurs if you have connected the player to the coputer and have added or removed any files. It will not do this just powering it on, regardless of whether there's a card inserted.

There is no lag in reading from the card. And the Fuze (during the database refresh) will populate the lists (Artist, Album, Track, Genre, etc.) and play from both memory sources seamlessly. Meaning that for instance if you have Shuffle on, it will play from both the internal memory and external card alternately (depending on the shuffle algorthym). No input is needed from you. You will notice however, that when looking through the Track (or Song) list that the tracks that are stored on the card will have a small square icon next to them.

SanDisk User
millitaryman69

> I've been converting a lot of my music from mp3 to FLAC

You should NOT do this. You will NOT get improved audio quality, but you WILL get (considerably) extra file size.

Once files are in a lossy format, best not to convert them anymore, unless you have to. Your Fuze will play mp3 just fine.

SanDisk Guru
mags1230

In addition, those FLAC files will eat up alot of battery power.  It'll be a waste of battery life since you wouldn't be getting any better audio quality than from the original mp3s that you've been converting.

SanDisk User
knifethemac

millitaryman69 wrote:

> I've been converting a lot of my music from mp3 to FLAC

You should NOT do this. You will NOT get improved audio quality, but you WILL get (considerably) extra file size.

Once files are in a lossy format, best not to convert them anymore, unless you have to. Your Fuze will play mp3 just fine.

Did he mean "converting" literally?   I took it to mean that he's "replacing" his old mp3's with new FLAC files.

Anyway, if you're buying a big microSD card like a 32GB model, make sure you don't get suckered into buying a phony smaller card.  Those big cards are expensive and relatively rare, so if it's underpriced and on some small-time operator's website, it's almost certainly a fake.  Stick to big reputable sites like Newegg and Amazon.

SketchyCat

[ Edited ]

I actually meant replacing, not converting. Literally converting MP3 to FLAC would do nothing to the audio quality and just increase file size. Thanks for the help everyone!

I have another question just out of curiosity...is it possible to have the fuze play videos/photos from the SD card? And how would you accomplish that?

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

SketchyCat wrote:

...is it possible to have the fuze play videos/photos from the SD card? And how would you accomplish that?

Yep.

Video4Fuze

SanDisk Guru
mags1230

SketchyCat wrote:

...is it possible to have the fuze play videos/photos from the SD card? And how would you accomplish that?

A number of people have reported that Kingston brand cards can get glitchy when it comes to playing video on the fuze.  I haven't heard of what causes this issue.

ehummvee

Does this apply also to the Sansa View I own? The 8k tracklist, and for that matter the 32gb limit on micro-sdhc?