Mac issue? - Duplicate file names appear once I copy over mp3s

It seems like though the box said Mac Compatible, it is a far stretch from being easy to use or setup for a non techie.

I figured out how to import a CD on ITunes and convert it to a mp3. Then copy it over to the Fuze.

But my issue is when I copy a song or album over, when I turn on the Fuze, it shows duplicate songs and the duplicates are in the Unreconizable folder and do not work.

This can get VERy confusing. Anyone have any ideas on how to import mp3 on a mac without getting these ghost / duplicate files???

If I cant figure it out, I guess I will try to return this and get an IPod. No use to me like this.

Please help. I want to keep this player.

Did you read the other threads here about using a Fuze on a Mac? The main points seem to be to set the Fuze on MSC mode, make sure your music is in mp3 format, then just copy the files to the player’s music folder  as you would copy any other files from one drive to another. Don’t use itunes to transfer the music.

@thegaspar wrote:

I figured out how to import a CD on ITunes and convert it to a mp3. Then copy it over to the Fuze.

But my issue is when I copy a song or album over, when I turn on the Fuze, it shows duplicate songs and the duplicates are in the Unreconizable folder and do not work.

Your problem is that you used the Finder to copy files to the player.  That creates the “duplicate” files which are really files containing Finder metadata.  They drive the players nuts.

I wrote a web page describing this problem and how to get an mp3 player like the Fuze to work with the Mac.  See  http://guyscharf.wordpress.com/mp3-on-macintosh/ for details.

Yes, I did read those posts. I forgot to mention that I did switch modes and still the same issue.

It sounds like this link provided in another post may be the best info I have seen so far for a mac user. I am going to try it and post an update later this week.

It seems like some advice comes from people without a mac and this can cause confusion as well.

Thanks to all who posted. More to come after I follow the direction at MP3 on Macintosh | Meditation and Life

UPDATE - The above link provides a wonderful explaination, eay steps, and link to software to assist. Wonderful. Issue is now resolved. 

Message Edited by thegaspar on 12-23-2008 07:50 PM

To deal with files without getting “ghost” files I would recommend using this soft to find duplicate mp3. Actually it has many functions and capabilities so you’ll be able to manage your problem. At least it helped me…

Thank you for your advise. I prefer Duplicate Mp3 Finder as it is much faster and performs a real audio scan.

For 100% duplicates I use thr Free Duplicate File Finder.

Cheers.

Thanks for reminding how a relatively trivial CE device like a MP3 player can still be a chore for the non-tech folks. I’m a little amazed at all the info that you spelled out, that techies like me take for granted, and can understand why Apple’s walled-garden is so formidable.

A typo on the last line of your blog entry: “you should reserve 200GB” should probably be 200MB. This is unnecessary for the Fuze, as the file MTABLE.SYS (that stores the database) doesn’t change in size, staying at 1.8MB whether it’s one or 1000 MP3s.

If you like to sync your music, you can also try double twist. It does a decent job at transferring songs to players.

Bumping this one up. I don’t have a Mac, but it would be great if this software could be iTunes for Mac and Sansa owners.

It is better to use tidy up for mac that is an effective duplicate file finder. it will solve this issue of removing duplicate music files too.

http://duplicate.tidyupformac.org

Smells like spam to me. :angry:

you can try “duplicatefilesdeleter”

If you want to delete or find a duplicate files, why don’t you try Duplicate Files Deleter? It will do a thorough search of your hard disk and find out the two or more duplicate files of the same file which may be stored at different locations. It will give you a comprehensive list of all those files and you can decide for yourself what you want to do with them. It’s easy to use. Hope it will help you.