MTP, MSC

MTP, or Media Transfer Protocol, is a mode where the Fuze+ is recognized as a Media Device (Player) by the computer.  This mode is supported by Windows Media Player 10 and later.

MTP does plenty of things in the background, like song ratings, album art, and playlists are a snap.

On the other hand, it has a dark side, if you like to control the device directly in MSC mode, where the player is seen as a memory device.  You can’t do some little tasks, like generate a list of files on the device (to print), and some editing applications have difficulty addressing the files on the device, like MP3Tag.

Oh, the Fuze+ isn’t affected yet (I HOPE it will be) by this mode- that annoying “reading card” when you power up can be dramatically shortened, if not eliminated, with MTP as part of the equation.  But, I digress.

If you have protected media, as in subscription music and audiobook tracks, MTP is required to transfer the license information.

Otherwise, you can use MSC mode.  MSC is a necessity when using Linux or Mac OS, or even if you’re porting information over from a cp/m machine like the Kaypro 10.  Hehe.  MSC is a wonderful thing, allowing direct control.

To complicate things, you can drag and drop in MTP too if desired.  Don’t have to use PIP like the Kaypro situation.

I’m in an old school mode tonight, browsing data for the Hubble, such a cool machine.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: