MAC

i have just got a macbook air and i ant to know if i can get my msic from my mac to my fuze

Yes, with a few notable issues.  The device must be in MSC mode, and if your songs are from iTunes, in AAC / M4A format, they need to be converted to MP3 with ID3 tags. 

I believe that iTunes has a utility to convert to MP3, or there are many conversion applications available.

The critical thing to remember is NEVER format your Sansa via the Mac, as it wants to set up the memory in Apple format, which won’t work properly.

The Sansa can work great with the Mac, and you’ll be impressed with the sound!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

But . . . can I get fries with that Mac? :smileyvery-happy:

Is there a way for me to get that answer in “dummy terms”? I am unable to charge my sansa, as well as know how to get the cd in my Mac. So I have a brand new device that I can’t use. Also, when I attempted to send an email to support, I got an error message that said “permanent error: user unknown in recipient table”. What’s up with that??!!

Thank you for any help you can give.  

The CD?  That is not needed.  I see your potential problem, as the CD is of the miniature variety, and if you have a slot / roller loading system on your Mac, it won’t accept the wee disc without an adaptor ring.

There’s nothing really necessary on the disc, it has a copy of the Rhapsody client that is available online anyway.  The User Guide is also available right here online.

Turn on your Fuze, and go to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MSC.

Then, plug in your new Sansa.

In MSC mode, it will be seen as a basic flash drive!  You can then drag and drop your MP3 files to the Music folder in the device.  If the files are from iTunes, they need to be converted to MP3 format.

Bingo!  Just remember to have a look at the Fuze display: does it show “connected” with a lightning bolt next to the battery icon?  It’s charging.  If the device cannot communicate (MTP doesn’t work with the Mac), it won’t charge.

Let us know if it now communicates and charges.

A word of caution: NEVER format the Sansa with the Mac, as it tries to “applesauce” the memory in a different format.  Use the built-in format command on the device only.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for your help. I did what you said. I did see the lightening bolt, and it said connected. Eventually, the battery was “full”-completely green. But once I disconnected, it went back down to being only half. As though, it was not fully charged. That doesn’t seem normal to me. Am I wrong? 

Ka’Lu 

On the Fuze, go to Settings > System Settings > Info and then scroll down to the last line.  If you have firmware 01.01.15, the charge state of the battery is visible in terms of percentage.

SanDisk recommends a USB2.0 port, meaning it will have 500mA available for charging.  You can try different ports on the Mac to see if you can get a better charge rate.  A simple solution is to get an inexpensive powered USB hub for your Mac, one that has its own power supply for the outermost two pins.

As long as the Mac transfers the music to your Sansa, if you have charging issues, a simple wall charger will complete charging too. 

There’s one interesting quirk with the battery meter: sometimes, it will not read correctly upon disconnect.  If you cycle the power on the Fuze, it may indeed be fully charged.

Any solutions for getting videos or photos in my sansa Fuze from my iMac?

Power cycling did the trick. Thanks so much for your help! 

Ka’Lu 

@abecat wrote:
Any solutions for getting videos or photos in my sansa Fuze from my iMac?

1.) Start a new thread, rather than ‘elbowing your way in’ on another conversation.

2.) Your question is ‘off-topic’. See #1.

3.) Read the User’s Guide.

4.) View the 'How-To" videos specifically on how to put videos on your Sansa.

5.) Download and install the Sansa Media Converter.

6.) Search & read posts in the Sansa Media Converter board.

Tapeworm,

Although your items 1 & 2 have validity, wouldn’t it be better to be  less harsh on a newbie?

Regarding #3 - the user guide does not address any of the questions for Mac users

Regarding #4 - NONE of the How To videos deal with Using the sansa with a Mac

Regarding #4 - The Sansa Media Converter doesn’t install  or work on a Mac

Regarding #5 - Why bother, (see #4)

agree totally JJ. I’m also a ‘newbie’ Mac user and used to a platform where everything just ‘works’ when you plug it in.  I find the lack of official advice for Mac users totally irritating, so these forums ae a godsend - thanks to all who take the trouble to help out others who are stuck.

Having said that, I’m already thinking ‘why bother’ about the Sansa thing anyway if it’s so much hassle. Maybe I should just have got an iPod!

For photos, just copy  them to the player’s photos folder. The photos need to be JPG files and small in dimension though. If the photos are large, then you can use any photo editing software to make small copies.

I use photos around 600x450 to put on my Fuze, but to save space you could use photos around 300x225. Just don’t make them smaller than the Fuze’s screen dimensions(which is 220x176). I suggest you avoid putting video on the Fuze. Many have issues with video on the Fuze, and the SMC application is a Windows program.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-27-2008 12:49 PM

@combo wrote:

Having said that, I’m already thinking ‘why bother’ about the Sansa thing anyway if it’s so much hassle. Maybe I should just have got an iPod!

I do understand that attitude!

For a summary of one way to get a Sansa player to work with the Mac, see http://guyscharf.wordpress.com/mp3-on-macintosh/.

@neutron_bob wrote:

A word of caution: NEVER format the Sansa with the Mac, as it tries to “applesauce” the memory in a different format.  Use the built-in format command on the device only.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

I was reading old postings and is this still true about formatting on a Mac?  Why do they say a Fuze is compatible with a Mac if it just ain’t true?  Just venting a little.  Thanks.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The critical thing to remember is NEVER format your Sansa via the Mac, as it wants to set up the memory in Apple format, which won’t work properly.

Is that true on the micro SD card too?  I am reading old postings and I read this and now I am thinking why do they say Fuze is compatible with an Apple if it isn’t so?  Just frustrated.  Thanks.