LCD stained by oil

I cleaned my fuze’s wheel using some glass foam type aerosol, after that I found out that my wheel was stiff, I used wd40 and a cotton bud, to the outer rim of the wheel, It worked, but the wheel still uncomfortable, so I sprayed the wd 40 a little directly to the wheel, and I found that my lcd is having some darker area, maybe because the oil go to the area, but suprisingly, the lcd still works like normal, only have some darker area than the other, can it be fixed ?

Only if you can get the casing apart (w/o breaking it) and clean up the mess you made squirting the WD40 inside.

I’d say bad plan . . . but then you already know that now.

Just run it through the washing machine like others here have done! Just kidding!!!

Never use any type of spray on sensitive equipment. Spray on a cloth and wipe or spray onto swabs and dab. Sprays always tend to go where you don’t want them to. Cleaners and lubricants need to be used with care, many of them will react with certain plastics.

@Tapeworm, I prefer less invasive method, I just put it in vertical position for days, and hoping the lubricant oil fall to the wheel, sigh

@14124all, thanks for the heads up

Good Luck! :smiley:

Good Luck! I hope it works. :smiley:

WD40 is some lightweight stuff, all too often misused as a lubricant, though it does work as such.  The name is a hint as to its original purpose, a Water Displacement solution.

If the Fuze is kept in a warm place, much of that light oil may indeed evaporate.  As crisis is the mother of invention, I’ve found that immersion in a bath of 2-Propanol (isopropyl alcohol, as pure and anhydrous as possible) cleans the screen marvellously.  I used the alcohol as a dessicant after being washed vigorously in a pair of jeans.

Note, I don’t advocate dumping the device into alcohol unless you’re willing to take the inherent risks.  I had no choice as my daughters ran several devices over the last few years through the tour de Whirlpool, running them through the family laundry.  Thank God they know it’s better to consult Daddy rather than plooping the machine in the clothes dryer.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

WD40 is some lightweight stuff, all too often misused as a lubricant, though it does work as such.  The name is a hint as to its original purpose, a Water Displacement solution.

If the Fuze is kept in a warm place, much of that light oil may indeed evaporate.  As crisis is the mother of invention, I’ve found that immersion in a bath of 2-Propanol (isopropyl alcohol, as pure and anhydrous as possible) cleans the screen marvellously.  I used the alcohol as a dessicant after being washed vigorously in a pair of jeans.

Note, I don’t advocate dumping the device into alcohol unless you’re willing to take the inherent risks.  I had no choice as my daughters ran several devices over the last few years through the tour de Whirlpool, running them through the family laundry.  Thank God they know it’s better to consult Daddy rather than plooping the machine in the clothes dryer.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

How warm ? and how do we apply the alcohol, without opening the case ?

paleskin wrote:

350F degrees for 5 min. Rotate pan and bak another 5 minutes till golden brown and delishous. And internally; repeated as necessary.

. . . Oh wait! That’s the recipe for the Christms cookies I’m making and my holiday egg nog (heavy on the brandy)! Smiley

paleskin wrote:

350F degrees for 5 min. Rotate pan and bake another 5 minutes till golden brown and delishous. And internally; repeated as necessary.

. . . Oh wait! That's the recipe for the Christms cookies I'm making and my holiday egg nog (heavy on the brandy)! Smiley

paleskin wrote:

350F degrees for 5 min. Rotate pan and bake another 5 minutes till golden brown and delicious. And internally; repeated as necessary.

. . . Oh wait! That’s the recipe for the Christmas cookies I’m making and my holiday egg nog (heavy on the brandy)! Smiley

Indeed, sounds like cookie time.

Be very careful with alcohol, as it is flammable stuff, and it burns with an almost invisible flame.  I have simply immersed the device in an alcohol bath (you can see it flow about the display), then a careful spin dry.  You can, if you’re very careful not to doink anything (or anyone) while spinning, place the Fuze in a tube sock for a quick spin.

Naturally, as there’s a possibility of moisture with the alcohol (based upon its purity, and it has a strong affinity for water, so let the device dry thoroughly on a windowsill, or atop a warm computer. 

Again, you must do so at your own risk.  Any liquids within the Sansa most definitely void the warranty, since such things are beyond SanDisk’s control.  There’s also the possibility that an alcohol purge could merely make the “blotch” worse, depending upon any dissolved goo within the lubricant.

You could allow the device some time for the WD40 to dissipate before going through any further operations.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: