Just ONE working playlist PLEASE!

Sansa Fuze+ 16GB    MSC Mode

Someone please wake me up from the Sansa playlist nightmare!

I can’t get one single playlist to work on my new Sansa Fuze+.  Your expert help is appreciated!

First, I tried creating a playlist from scratch and transferring it to my player.  No dice.  The player sees the list as ‘empty’ no matter what I do: trying four different file path methods, trying m3u files and pls files.  Nothing works.  (The pls files aren’t even recognized; they are invisible on the Fuze+).

Then I tried Windows Media Player.  Disaster!  First, WMP can’t do squat with my player unless I ‘sync’ them.  This is not an option for me.  Why? Because WMP can’t even store my files correctly in its own library; it messes up the file paths and does not allow any editing of that path info.  So WMP is OUT.

Then I tried Rhapsody.  A friendly peripheral for Sansa, right?  Wrong!  All instructions regarding creating a full playlist are WRONG.  The manual is incorrect when it says you can save a playlist from the Mixer.  Just not true!  The instructions to drag & drop files to a playlist are also false; the needed ‘Add to playlist’ icon and context-menu options as described in the documentation simply DON’T EXIST.  All playlist option is Rhapsody are dead ends.

Someone said you can just right-click a file in the Fuze+ Music folder and choose the ‘Add to Playlist’ option.  Not true, exactly.  They failed to mention that this does nothing in the player but in WMP.  Another dead end.

+++++++ I’ve done all I can.  Now it’s your turn, folks… ++++++++

Here’s a file on my player:    Music\06 - Soundtrack\True Grit\01 - The Wicked Flee.mp3

Somebody please give me a working playlist file which 1. Goes in the Playlists folder where it belongs, 2. Is useable with my Sansa Fuze+ in MSC Mode, and 3. Requires no syncing with anything else whatsoever.

Your file will be the foundation of all my future playlists, if yours works on my player.

Thank you.

Sincerely

I feel your pain. Im in the same boat. From my understanding here are the realities. The M3U standard on the Fuze+ is severely broken in that a M3U will only work when the playlist is in the same folder as the media and there is no folder references in the playlist itself. PLA/PLPs will only work when setup in MTP mode. Although I still have not given up. Some things I want to try are: setting up a PLP in a text editor then running a conversion to DOS mode line ends and UTF16LE, setting up a M3U with double backslashes, maybe setting up a M3U8 instead. But I dont have much hope that any of these will work. Sandisk is ticking this linux user off more and more as time goes on. Maybe they will fix M3Us in the next firmware, but I dont have much hope for that either.  There are folks here who like to call those who say the Fuze+ ■■■■■, a troll. <sarcasm mode=dripping>No it cant be that the Fuze+ actually ■■■■■! Nooooooo. It cant be that can it?</sarcasm> If they fix some of the ACTUAL problems and stop putting bandaids on things, maybe Ill change my opinion.

@route40 wrote:

Sansa Fuze+ 16GB    MSC Mode

Someone please wake me up from the Sansa playlist nightmare!

I can’t get one single playlist to work on my new Sansa Fuze+.  Your expert help is appreciated!

First, I tried creating a playlist from scratch and transferring it to my player.  No dice.  The player sees the list as ‘empty’ no matter what I do: trying four different file path methods, trying m3u files and pls files.  Nothing works.  (The pls files aren’t even recognized; they are invisible on the Fuze+).

Then I tried Windows Media Player.  Disaster!  First, WMP can’t do squat with my player unless I ‘sync’ them.  This is not an option for me.  Why? Because WMP can’t even store my files correctly in its own library; it messes up the file paths and does not allow any editing of that path info.  So WMP is OUT.

Then I tried Rhapsody.  A friendly peripheral for Sansa, right?  Wrong!  All instructions regarding creating a full playlist are WRONG.  The manual is incorrect when it says you can save a playlist from the Mixer.  Just not true!  The instructions to drag & drop files to a playlist are also false; the needed ‘Add to playlist’ icon and context-menu options as described in the documentation simply DON’T EXIST.  All playlist option is Rhapsody are dead ends.

Someone said you can just right-click a file in the Fuze+ Music folder and choose the ‘Add to Playlist’ option.  Not true, exactly.  They failed to mention that this does nothing in the player but in WMP.  Another dead end.

+++++++ I’ve done all I can. Now it’s your turn, folks… ++++++++

Here’s a file on my player:    Music\06 - Soundtrack\True Grit\01 - The Wicked Flee.mp3

Somebody please give me a working playlist file which 1. Goes in the Playlists folder where it belongs, 2. Is useable with my Sansa Fuze+ in MSC Mode, and 3. Requires no syncing with anything else whatsoever.

Your file will be the foundation of all my future playlists, if yours works on my player.

Thank you.

Sincerely

Hi route40,

As a new user of SanDisk’s Sansa Fuze+ (have used the Fuze now for almost a month now, but the learning curve has proven to be easy for me and the Fuze+ has provided me with unlimited possibilities on the portable media player), I stumbled upon this horrific problem of creating playlists as well.

However, I happen to stumble into this very similar program to iTunes (without all the frustration and hassles of Apple’s monopolizing products) called Songbird whose capabilities can be extended via extensions since it is based on Firefox’s source code.

I have already used the program extensively now (although it is a bit sluggish at times due to its add-ons) and have found that it mimics basically anything iTunes can do, but of course it can synchronize to any MTP or MSC device out in the market (all mp3 players basically). So far it has worked perfectly with my Sansa Fuze+ (with the latest firmware) in synchronizing my music library from my hard drive to the MP3 player. However, I recommend you format everything first on your Fuze+ before synchronizing with Songbird in order to avoid organizational problems.

With Songbird I have been able to quickly and easily synchronize over 10 playlists and 100 songs (and counting) to my Sansa Fuze+. :smiley:. I urge you to try it out :wink:. If you do, be sure to set your Sansa Fuze+ at MTP mode if you are using a Windows-based P/C (I have not yet tried out if it works with the Fuze+ in MSC mode, but I will update this post if it does to keep you informed). I reckon as well that it will work flawlessly with Macs (I assume you are using one since you use your Fuze+ in the MSC mode).

Here are a few screenshots from my own use of Songbird (with a custom iTunes-like theme applied) and the Fuze+

My Sansa Fuze+ syncing with Songbird

My Music Library

If you need further assistance feel free to contact me through a private message on this forum.

~ Nerux57

I am pretty sure that you are going to be dissapointed when trying to sync a playlist in MSC mode and that is exactly what has got this linux user ticked. Linux comes with very limited MTP support if any. I know I can not get my linux to recognize my player.

@osixpterripus wrote:

I am pretty sure that you are going to be dissapointed when trying to sync a playlist in MSC mode and that is exactly what has got this linux user ticked. Linux comes with very limited MTP support if any. I know I can not get my linux to recognize my player.

Awe, so route40 is a Linux user. Well I have comfirmed that the Sansa Fuze+ in the MSC mode does work with Songbird, at least on Windows. Not sure if it will work on Linux but Songbird is cross-platform compatible so it should work, but giving it a try won’t hurt. Here’s a screenshot of Songbird synchronizing with my Sansa Fuze+ on MSC usb mode:

My Sansa Fuze+ on MSC mode syncing with Songbird

Since the Songbird main website does not provide an installer, I’ve found a web page with official documentation from Ubuntu on how to install Songbird:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Songbird#Download_SongBird

Here’s a direct link to the installation package of Songbird:

https://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Builds/Contributed_Builds#Linux

~ Nerux57

This is a bit encouraging. Could you do me a favour and create a new never used playlist, sync it with the Fuze+ in MSC mode, then check the playlist on the Fuze+ and see if it is not blank? I would be very interested to see if it is not, but I have a feeling that it will be.

@osixpterripus wrote:

This is a bit encouraging. Could you do me a favour and create a new never used playlist, sync it with the Fuze+ in MSC mode, then check the playlist on the Fuze+ and see if it is not blank? I would be very interested to see if it is not, but I have a feeling that it will be.

Alright, just give me about 10-20 minutes to create the playlist and create the “proof” that it works (the computer screenshots). I’m gonna call the new playlist “MSC.” I’ll post again once I comfirm this. 

~ Nerux57

@nerux57 wrote:

@osixpterripus wrote:

Alright, just give me about 10-20 minutes to create the playlist and create the “proof” that it works (the computer screenshots). I’m gonna call the new playlist “MSC.” I’ll post again once I comfirm this. 

~ Nerux57

Well, I’m devastated to report to you that playlist synchronizing on the Sansa Fuze+ in MSC mode does not work.

After many tests of formatting and synchronizing again with Songbird, I have figured it out that that this problem is indeed a firmware problem. At first, a slight glimpse of ectasticy rose inside me as I saw that the new playlists I created were there, but upon opening the playlists I saw that there were none of the songs that I had included, just a “<<blank>>.”

Songbird is able to synchronize and write all music/playlist files on the Fuze+, but the Fuze+ is unable to recognize this.  I comfirmed this by checking the internal memory folder of the playlists of the Fuze+ while on MSC mode, to see that Songbird had in fact written the files to the correct folder. 

Sadly, this will remain a firmware problem until SanDisk releases the appopriate patch to combat this problem.

~ Nerux57

I sincerely thank you, (I mean it) for attempting to create a working playlist under MSC. If you were successful I would have praised you as a god ^_^. However I had a feeling that you would find the same thing that so many others have found before you.