Instructions for Mac user to format the micro SD card please!

Okay I did format on the Fuze player, and it only clears the main player, not the micro SD card.  I am trying to STILL figure out why I can’t delete audiobooks on the Fuze; so I figured format and start over right?  Well how do you do that?  I can use the Mac to do this, but I have read conflicting info about doing that.

Thanks…

Sansa really needs to have more info for Mac users… 

Warning: I’m not from Sansa, and I don’t own a Mac anymore ><   BUT  I thought I would respond to your post since no one else has.

Try the following:    Set your Fuze USB setting into MSC mode.   Settings > USB > MSC mode

Then turn it off

Plug in your Fuze into the Mac USB port 

Steps for Mac Platform (OS X)

Step1
Place the flash drive on the desktop.

Step2
Start the “Disk Utility.” Click on the Ext.  flash drive. If there is more than one, use caution and select the correct one. Use the “Erase” button.

Step3
Select the “MS-DOS File System” in “Volume Format.”  (this is same as FAT32)

Step4
Provide a new name for the drive. Click the “Erase” button.

Step5
Perform the instructions given on the screen and finish the formatting

Message Edited by niko_sama on 01-26-2009 03:56 PM

Thanks for your reply.  I went into Disk Utility and did erase, I did not see your reply until after I did that.  I didn’t see a format area, only erase.  Oh well.  If I still can’t delete audiobooks I will try to format.

I can’t believe I am the only one who has run into the problem of not being able to delete audiobooks on the Fuze.  Or is that the way it is suppose to be? 

This is from SanDisk website, what does the NOTE: section mean?  This is suppose to be for a MP3 player, not a camera I thought.  I searched for the Fuze and found this anyway.  It just isn’t clear if you format the card in the player or not.

Answer ID   203   Last Updated   01/05/2009 03:31 PM
 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer 

Email This Answer  Email Answer      Formatting using a MAC computer

Question   How do I format my device using a MAC computer?

Answer   WARNING: Formatting will erase all data on the device. Back up all your data before proceeding. 

NOTE:  When using a memory card, it is recommended to reformat the card in the camera instead of formatting it through your computer. 

To format a device on your MAC OS X: 
1. Double-click on  Macintosh HD.  
2. Click the  Applications  folder. 
3. Click the  Utilities  folder. 
4. Double-click  Disk Utility
5. On the left side of the window are the drives connected to the computer. Select the capacity of the drive respective to the one containing the device you wish to format then click the  Erase tab. 

Example:  If the drive is called “NO NAME”, directly above that, you should see the drive capacity of “XXXX”. Select this capacity. 

6. Verify  Volume Format  is set to  MS-DOS file system , then click  Erase

Message Edited by leo3 on 01-26-2009 06:55 PM

@leo3 wrote:

This is from SanDisk website, what does the NOTE: section mean?  This is suppose to be for a MP3 player, not a camera I thought.  I searched for the Fuze and found this anyway.  It just isn’t clear if you format the card in the player or not.

Answer ID   203   Last Updated   01/05/2009 03:31 PM

NOTE:  When using a memory card, it is recommended to reformat the card in the camera instead of formatting it through your computer. 

I believe, that when you connect the Fuze in MSC mode, it appears as a Flash Drive to the Mac.  Erasing/formatting is the same process as any USB Flash drive.    You could also put the microSDHC card into a USB adapter, or a SD adapter (if you have a SD Flash card plug in).   

Your Mac see’s the memory as if the Fuze wasn’t involved.   

You should be able to format the microSDHC card a verity of ways from the Mac,  with it in an adapter,  or with it in the Fuze.

The Note is specific for cameras, as the cameras format process may very between manufacturers.  And formatting it from the camera menus would be the best way for the camera’s application.   The Fuze only allows formatting the internal memory and not the external slot (It would be nice if it allowed both).

Hope that helps.

Message Edited by niko_sama on 01-27-2009 07:46 AM

Thanks for responding niko_sama.  Yes, it would be nice to format in the player.   I thought I read the Mac leaves extra things behind when you format;  it messes up the player.

I still haven’t had anyone tell me if it is normal not to be able to delete on the player.  Have you had this experience?  I know I have it set to MSC.  I don’t change it.  I did notice one time it did change itself!  Someone else here at the forum said the same thing.

Look up GuyScharf. He is a user on here, and he wrote what I refer to as “The Bible” For MP3s and Macs. Im sure if you search his name you can find a like to his site. I dont know if this is covered but it may be.

@leo3 wrote:

Thanks for responding niko_sama.  Yes, it would be nice to format in the player.   I thought I read the Mac leaves extra things behind when you format;  it messes up the player.

I still haven’t had anyone tell me if it is normal not to be able to delete on the player.  Have you had this experience?  I know I have it set to MSC.  I don’t change it.  I did notice one time it did change itself!  Someone else here at the forum said the same thing.

i have deleted individual mp3 files through the player.    But not an entire audiobook.   Sorry I can’t answer that question.   If you are deleting an individual mp3 file, and it still appears, then possibly there is a database corruption or other issue on the fuze.   Formatting, and checking to be sure you have the latest firmware.   Would be one way to start over and Illiminate any data corruption.    Maybe someone else can address the Deleting of the file issue you are having.  :slight_smile:

Good luck :slight_smile:

in reading some information on MP3 on Macintosh | Meditation and Life

a person posted this message.   Could this be part of the issue you are having?

on January 26, 2009 at 9:45 am Esko

Guy, what do you think about this advice for Mac users that I found on the net? “When deleting files from the Fuze (and any other mass storage device eg a memory stick) it is necessary to empty the Trash whilst the device is still attached to the computer otherwise the deleted file stays in the device’s trashes file (invisible) and the memory used by that deleted file is still used. To make the memory available again it is important to empty that trash file by emptying the computer’s trash (which also empties the trash file for any attached device

@niko_sama wrote:

in reading some information on MP3 on Macintosh | Meditation and Life

a person posted this message.   Could this be part of the issue you are having?

on January 26, 2009 at 9:45 am Esko

Guy, what do you think about this advice for Mac users that I found on the net? “When deleting files from the Fuze (and any other mass storage device eg a memory stick) it is necessary to empty the Trash whilst the device is still attached to the computer otherwise the deleted file stays in the device’s trashes file (invisible) and the memory used by that deleted file is still used. To make the memory available again it is important to empty that trash file by emptying the computer’s trash (which also empties the trash file for any attached device

That is very interesting, I think I deleted the trash, can’t remember now.  Thanks, that may be what my Fuze problem is.  Something to consider.  Thanks.

I have deleted individual mp3 files through the player.    But not an entire audiobook.   Sorry I can’t answer that question.   If you are deleting an individual mp3 file, and it still appears, then possibly there is a database corruption or other issue on the fuze.   Formatting, and checking to be sure you have the latest firmware.   Would be one way to start over and Illiminate any data corruption.    Maybe someone else can address the Deleting of the file issue you are having.  :slight_smile:

I have the latest firmware.  I wonder if formatting on the Mac also contributes to my problems.  I hate to have to use a PC, it is not very convenient, but if I have to I may…

If you are deleting an individual mp3 file, and it still appears, then possibly there is a database corruption or other issue on the fuze.   Formatting, and checking to be sure you have the latest firmware.   Would be one way to start over and Illiminate any data corruption.    Maybe someone else can address the Deleting of the file issue you are having.  :slight_smile:

I have the latest firmware.  I may have to start using a PC, I hate having to do that, not as convenient, but I may have to…if Mac and Fuze don’t get along :frowning:

Funny but I had a Pilot for a year and I used the Mac and was able to delete audiobooks on the player and had no problems (except dying battery).   Is it just Itunes that makes extra stuff, or if I download books directly from Overdrive and it is just transferred to Fuze will it make extra stuff then?  I hope that makes sense, I know what I mean :wink:

Thanks, gave me things to consider… 

Message Edited by leo3 on 01-27-2009 06:26 PM

Message Edited by leo3 on 01-27-2009 06:27 PM