Giant Giant problem.

So, my Sansa Fuze has been working perfectly for the past 7months.

but two days ago, my fuze has been going through some problems.

At first, i noticed that an hour or two after i placed my fuze down (it was still playing) and all I heard was static.

I decided then to do the go to hold and hold on the power switch for 20 seconds.

That didn’t work, so I tried to plug it in to “force” a start.

That didn’t work, it was plugged in and recognized as a 4mb partition that /had/ to be formatted to work.

Next, It worked for around a minute, ( i really should have formatted it here via settings) and then it froze up and locked up again.

I gave up, and then i tried again the next day, where it worked for a bit. (i maybe got around an hour and a half of playtime till i had to turn it off again.) Hours later, it didn’t work AGAIN. and it’s been the same way since.

I’ve had it plugged in to my computer for ages, and whenever i unplug and plug it back in, it’s recognized as a 4MB partition and, I have tried to hold my power switch up for 15s-a minute, yet nothing works.  I also tried to plug it in while pressing down on the << button and the middle button, still nothing.

I’ve given up, and maybe would go online here before ordering a different player (probably going to be a Sansa Fuze +).

help please, if there’s anything I could do other than send it in (i don’t know what the ID or whatever it’s called on the back is, it got scratched off in my pocket somehow).

To force a connection, the unit has to be OFF with the hold switch (Power button down to show an orange spot) engaged. Then hold down the << and connect.

Is it possible you switched USB modes? Try (Settings/System Settings) USB Mode in both MSC and MTP.

that sounds a lot like what happened to me but i got mine Christmas 2008 or 2009 and it worked untill mid-June 2010 but has been frozen ever since, if you ever get an answer would you mind sharing it with me???

hi, I love the ease of use of my Sansa fuse.  When it works it great.  Sometimes it just freezes, cannot charge or turn off or on.

I had purchased it 2009. Has there been a recall of this model maybe?

@anishas wrote:

hi, I love the ease of use of my Sansa fuse.  When it works it great.  Sometimes it just freezes, cannot charge or turn off or on.

“Freezing” is caused by either bad, or unreadable ID3 tags or corrupted files. Either if which is up to you to fix, so no recall by the manufacturer is warranted. The device works perfectly well for millions of people.

When it freezes up, a simple reset (holding the power switch in the uppermost position for approx. 20 seconds) will set things right again so that it will charge and be recognized by your computer. But it shouldn’t be doing this on a regular basis. If it is, you’ve got some work to do.

@anishas wrote:

“Freezing” is caused by either bad, or unreadable ID3 tags or corrupted files. Either of which is up to you to fix, so no recall by the manufacturer is warranted. The device works perfectly well for millions of people.

When it freezes up, a simple reset (holding the power switch in the uppermost position for approx. 20 seconds) will set things right again so that it will charge and be recognized by your computer. But it shouldn’t be doing this on a regular basis. If it is, you’ve got some work to do.

And most often, it’s bad ID3 tags. Connect the unit and go into Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer) and start removing albums in the order they were added. When you remove the bad one, the freezing should stop.You can fix the tags in the bad album(s) with mp3tag, as explained below.

Alternately, take all the music off the unit and stash it  in a folder somewhere. . Then install the great free tag-fixer: MP3TAG

When you install it,  let it add itself to context menus (checkbox). Open it and set the Write default in Tools/Options/Tag/Mpeg to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

Then you could try a mass tag fix: Right-click on the folder where you stashed  the music from the Fuze and choose mp3tag from the options to open it.  Highlight all of the many files.

You should see  <keep> in the fields in the left-hand panel of mp3tag.(Artist, Album, Track, etc.)

I’d suggest that you change Comments to <blank> because sometimes huge Comments can freeze the Fuze. Then hit Save and it will put all the tags in the format the Fuze likes best.

Or you could do it one album at a time. 

With every album I put on the Fuze, I first open it in mp3tag, (Right-click on the folder, mp3tag is among the options). Make sure the files are in playing order, top to bottom. (You may need to click on the Track header.) Highlight them all, go to Tools/Auto-numbering Wizard and choose the Leading Zeroes option. This will number the files 01,02, 03 and save them as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags.

There’s also the possibility that someone has put the album artwork in every track–another freeze-maker. For this you’d go album by album. Right-click on the album folder, open it with mp3tag and highlight everything. Does the album art come up on the lower left? That means the album art is inside the files. If it’s larger than 300x300, it can stall the Fuze. Mp3tag can take the art out of the individual tracks and put a copy of the album cover in the folder instead.

Under View in mp3tag, choose Extended Tags. This gives you a window to remove the art from the individual files and make one album cover for the whole album. You’ll see a little floppy disc icon on the right. Click that, and it will extract the art and save it as folder.jpg. Then there’s an X below it. Click that and it will take the images out of the mp3s. You may need to rename folder.jpg as album.jpg, but it should still display the art with each song–it just displays album.jpg instead of the image that was in the individual mp3 file. Try this with one album at a time, and see if you need to rename folder.jpg as album.jpg.

Sorry I haven’t been able to reply in a while.

And, I know that the player needs to be on the lock position and it still does not work.  I haven’t tried anything yet, but it seems to still be recognized as a partition (a 4mb one at that).  Is there anything else I can do?  Also, is there any way I could find out the Serial that /was/ on it.  I have sent it out before to get fixed via RMA and under my warranty.  It still is under warranty.  (The serial number was gone one day after taking it out of my pocket, something must have scratched it off accidentally)

@yoyosoad95 wrote:

Sorry I haven’t been able to reply in a while.

. . . is there any way I could find out the Serial that /was/ on it.  I have sent it out before to get fixed via RMA and under my warranty.  It still is under warranty.  (The serial number was gone one day after taking it out of my pocket, something must have scratched it off accidentally)

If you set your player to MTP mode (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) and connect to your computer, you can right-click the player’s icon in Windows Explorer and select Properties. This will list the Serial number (electronically encoded in the device itself) and well as show you the battery charge level.

@yoyosoad95 wrote:

. . . is there any way I could find out the Serial that /was/ on it.  I have sent it out before to get fixed via RMA and under my warranty.  It still is under warranty.  (The serial number was gone one day after taking it out of my pocket, something must have scratched it off accidentally)

If you set your player to MTP mode (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode) and connect to your computer, you can right-click the player’s icon in Windows Explorer and select Properties. This will list the Serial number (electronically encoded in the device itself) and well as show you the battery charge level.

I really can’t do that either, my player won’t even turn on.