Fuze+ won't show on Win7, Fuze+ screen turns black

Sansa Fuze+ with Firmware 2.38.06A, on Win7

I’m using an Amazon Kindle cable to connect my Sansa Fuze+ to Win7. Since I forgot the cable that came with the Fuze+. They are both data cables so they both should work. When I turn on my Fuze+, it turns on normally, though I don’t have music on it (it’s new to me, a refurb). When I hook the cable to the Fuze+ the screen goes black and the Fuze+ does not appear in the list of Win7 drives. When I unhook the cable, the Fuze+ returns to the normal screen, which shows the Music menu option (a frame with the word “Music”).

Why won’t this work on Win7?

The day before I connected it to WinXP and it showed as a drive just fine.

NOTE: I did not install the Sansa Updater on the Win7 machine yet. Is that an issue?

I’ll bet it’s the cable. If you use the cable designed for it, it will probably work.

There are only 2 types of USB cables: data cables which provide a data and power connection, and power only cables, which do not have a data connection.

But I’ll try the real cable later. I don’t have it with me. Thanks.

I use whichever lead comes to hand, I also use my Kindle charger to charge my Fuze+. The blade on the Fuze lead does appear to be slightly longer than the Kindle one, but that shouldn’t make a difference.

@bacca400 wrote:

There are only 2 types of USB cables: data cables which provide a data and power connection, and power only cables, which do not have a data connection.

But I’ll try the real cable later. I don’t have it with me. Thanks.

Might also try different USB ports. Something is not making a connection when it’s plugged in.

What about the USB mode on the Fuze, should it be set to MSC, MTP or Auto Detect for W7?

MSC makes for easier connections, since it appears in this mode as any other ‘dumb’ memory storage unit like a thumb drive, etc. MTP mode is only needed for ‘protected’ or DRM-crippled files like those from Rhapsody music service or some audio books (like those ‘borrowed’ from your library system). I never advise the Auto Defect setting.

MTP works better for transfering albums with winamp…

I use auto 99% of the time and i use win 7 x64 and havn’t had any detection issues.

And i say that because i don’t rely on software every time i loaded my Fuze+ with windows

i modify files on the device manualy through a shortcut i made to the device

edit:

Also i use the cable that came with my LG cell phone too

The one it came with is too short

edit2:

I also have never installed the Sansa Updater

If i upgrade firmware i do it manualy…

USB mode was “auto”. I’ll try MSC later.