Fuze won't keep time.

Hi. When I set the time/date on the Fuze (4g, v2, firmware 2.03.33a), it stops keeping track of time once it’s turned off. Is there a separate battery that may not be functioning, like an internal clock battery? Many thanks in advance. Hope everyone’s having a super day.

(I did a search first and nothing came up. Sorry if this is a redundant question.) 

Fansa wrote:

Hi. When I set the time/date on the Fuze (4g, v2, firmware 2.03.33a), it stops keeping track of time once it’s turned off. Is there a separate battery that may not be functioning, like an internal clock battery? Many thanks in advance. Hope everyone’s having a super day.

(I did a search first and nothing came up. Sorry if this is a redundant question.) 

Yes, there is. I don’t think it’s user-serviceable though, so hopefully it’s still under warranty. If so, you should contact SanDisk directly about a replacement.

Hiya, thanks for the response. It does appear to be the battery. I bought it refurbished last week from a big established seller (Buy.com), and on the product page it says that the manufacturer provides a 90 day warranty. Contacted Sandisk and they said they do not. Buy does not accept returns based on defect, so basically they just sold me a busted item and I’m screwed. They’ll probably accept a return after I’ve escalated it, but still. Just thought I’d share, as a warning to others. I still really like Sansa, and will probably just buy Clip or somethin now.

Is it essential that it keeps the correct time? It still works otherwise, doesn’t it?

I don’t mean to imply that there’s no reason to complain, I’m just wondering why you would write it off as “busted” if the only thing wrong is the clock function.

I did consider that, yes, it’s just the clock. If it had stopped working after owning it for a while, I probably would just write it off as no biggie. After all, it isn’t like a clock is essential on an mp3 player. Immediately upon purchase, though? Even refurbs are sold under the assurance of being 100% perfectly functioning, if maybe cosmetically compromised. If it were scratched or blemished, I’d say ‘well, you bought a refurb, that’s what you get’… but not a function, no matter how small, not right out of the box (also the clock is handy when I’m running, where I don’t wear a watch). I don’t blame SanDisk for this; the seller has decided to accept the return, and I’m happily gonna turn around and give Sandisk my money for a shiny new one. 

I’ve ordered stuff off of Buy.com, and their products have been faulty at best, even their new products. Things that say “New” often end up coming to me working like they have never been tested. Needless to say, it is possible you get it and it works, but probably not. Still, it seems like yours is working (mostly), so…

@gwk1967: For some people, yes. I know where not supposed to use our PMPs (Portable Media Players) in the work place, but there have been times where I’ve forgotten to bring other means of getting the time.Though I will agree, a clock isn’t really needed for an MP3 player, some don’t even have one, and even though I’m a Fuze fan, the clock is one of the two things I’ve been less than satisfied with (it keeps track of time, but the regular firmware provided here on the forum is less than accurrate than Rockbox, don’t ask me how as I’ve hardly any knowledge of the internals of hardware or programming :wink:).

Bear in mind that it affects more than just the clock display. Voice recording–a feature I use–organizes its files with time/date stamps.

I just had some bad luck combined with misleading warranty info. Live n’ learn. A shiny new blue Clip+ is on the way from Amazon, which is Buy.com’s parent company but whatever. Ha. Thanks for the friendly responses, folks. I hope everyone is doin’ well.

Not this one, but I once noticed a weird time-related bug on my Fuze. Tried to set the right time, but Fuze just kept switching the time back a couple of minutes (or hours). It was weird. Finally after a couple of reboots I got it to accept the right time.

I had a very similar problem. After a horribly long exchange with a Chat Support person, he left me with instructions to format the entire device and reload all my files.

Surprisingly, it actually seems to have worked. The past three power cycles, the unit has turned back on with the correct time and date. I hope it keeps doing that after I reload all my files.

Did you have a file that was stopping the Fuze during Refresh? When it goes back on the Fuze, your problem may recur. If it does, remove the most recently added music and cross your fingers.

Try fixing any trouble albums. Actually, it helps to run every album through mp3tag before adding it to the Fuze. As explained here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Files-appear-on-computer-but-not-on-Fuze/m-p/248900#M49238

@gwk1967 wrote:

Is it essential that it keeps the correct time?

I believe it is if you buy DRM-proctected music. After a certain time, the files are supposed to no longer be playable, so a clock is neccessary to keep track of when this happens, right?

@halonachos117 wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

Is it essential that it keeps the correct time?

I believe it is if you buy DRM-proctected music. After a certain time, the files are supposed to no longer be playable, so a clock is neccessary to keep track of when this happens, right?

If the clock doesn’t advance the tracks will never expire, right? Most people wouldn’t see that as a problem.