Fuze will randomly format itself--all internal data lost

Several times my 8GB Fuze(V02.03.33A) has reformatted itself automatically. By reformat, I don’t mean a simple data wpie, it completely resets to stock settings: wallpaper color changes to original blue; equalizer sets to normal and custom EQ returns to all flat; in addition to all songs, pics, video, etc…being lost. However, the device shows that the space previously occuppied by the music is still occuppied, both on the Fuze and on my PC(Windows 7), but the files do not exist. The 8GB SD card remains undisturbed.

This has happened several times for me, at least 3, in the short 2 months I have had it. While I did buy it refurbished, I take good care of it: I dont drop it or keep it in dangerous environments, and I charge it regularly. While I don’t “Safely remove hardware” as often as I should when done charging, every time it has reformatted itself it has been some time(up to a full week) since it was last connected to a PC, with several uses inbetween the charge and the incident, with no apparent reason as to why it should do this as the battery isn’t even dead, before or after.

If anyone knows how to prevent these random reformats, the help would be greatly appreciated.

cjbrooks12 wrote:

Several times my 8GB Fuze(V02.03.33A) has reformatted itself automatically . . .

This has happened several times for me, at least 3, in the short 2 months I have had it. While I did buy it refurbished,  I take good care of it: I dont drop it or keep it in dangerous environments, and I charge it regularly.

Buying re-furbed electronics is always a roll of the dice. There’s usually a reason why they were returned in the 1st place. And there isn’t much the refurbers can do with these things that an owner couldn’t do himself. Format and/or re-install firmware. That’s it. Anything else is hardware-related and they couldn’t afford to sell these things for what they do if they actually paid someone to diagnose each and every unit that crosses their work station. If a human being being paid a half-way decent salary or hourly wage has to spend more than 10 minutes ‘refurbing’ a unit, they’re losing money.

Besides, most of the soldering work (if not all) on the circuit board is so minute and is done by robots or other mechanical means at the factory, so a human probably couldn’t fix it even if he or she knew what/where the problem was.

Cut your losses and buy a new one. At least if it craps out, you’ve got a 1 year warranty.

cjbrooks12 wrote:

Several times my 8GB Fuze(V02.03.33A) has reformatted itself automatically . . .

This has happened several times for me, at least 3, in the short 2 months I have had it. While I did buy it refurbished,  I take good care of it: I dont drop it or keep it in dangerous environments, and I charge it regularly.

Buying re-furbed electronics is always a roll of the dice. There’s usually a reason why they were returned in the 1st place. And there isn’t much the refurbers can do with these things that an owner couldn’t do himself. Format and/or re-install firmware. That’s it. Anything else is hardware-related and they couldn’t afford to sell these things for what they do if they actually paid someone to diagnose each and every unit that crosses their work station. If a human being being paid a half-way decent salary or hourly wage has to spend more than 10 minutes ‘refurbing’ a unit, they’re losing money.

Besides, most of the soldering work (if not all) on the circuit board is so minute and is done by robots or other mechanical means at the factory, so a human probably couldn’t fix it even if he or she knew what/where the problem was.

Cut your losses and buy a new one. At least if it craps out, you’ve got a 1 year warranty.