Fuze+ microsd card not recognized?

Okay, so here's my issue- I have an 8Gb Fuze+ that when I insert a Fat32 formatted microsd card, complains that there's a filesystem error and to please reformat to Fat32. When I go to "format" under the settings menu, and try to format the card from there, it complains that it's unable to detect any microsd card.

Gparted, new partition table, new fat32 partition, throw it in, same problem.

I tried just giving it a partition table and not defining any partitions, and seeing if i could format it then- same issue. I don't have any other microsd cards to try to make sure it's not the card, but needless to say, this card works flawlessly on my laptop through an adapter to full SD card size, which then goes into a built in card reader. It also works perfectly in my LG phone, so I doubt it's anything to do with the card itself.

Google has offered no solutions, first place I checked. Looking around here on the forums and the support page didn't yield any hints, either.

I updated the firmware manually (I'm on an Ubuntu Linux system), same issue. I got all excited, too, because the release notes for the 1.30.01 X firmware said it fixed a couple issues pertaining to sd cards not being recognized. But no dice- exact same issue, no change. Rebooting the Fuze+ doesn't help either. When the card is in the device, and the device is plugged in, Ubuntu auto-mounts the Fuze+ and the card, no problem, and I can read and write successfully to both.

I did check permissions of the card, just in case (I know next to nothing about filesystems here, but hey, a "chmod 777 -R" can't hurt, right?), and that's not the issue.

I've looked about, made sure the songs on the card weren't showing up despite the errors, and they weren't- I made sure to make a similar directory structure as on the Fuze+ itself on the card, no luck that way either.

So now I turn to the forums- Is there any help to be had? Am I alone in experiencing this issue? Am I just doing something wrong, or is my device permanently sick?

Thanks, 

Mike

Re: Fuze+ microsd card not recognized?

An update:

I was able to get my hands on more properly working microsd cards- none worked in the Fuze+.

Pretty much expecting to return this within the next few days. Smiley Sad

SanDisk User

You may just have a bad unit. I have a 16gb card in my Fuze+ that works perfectly.

Hi Mike,

I have exactly the same problem. I have a 16Gb Trancend Class 2 uSD card (and 16Gb Fuze+) which can be read and written over USB by the player itself. Due to that I came to the conlusion that player and SD card are ok but the firmware of the player is buggy.

Some time ago I wrote some firmware for SD card access on ARM controllers. Stuff like USB MSC you got out of the box. No talent needed but to use an SD card in your own application is much more difficult. Different SD card have different timeouts - unluckily SD card specification doesn't specify how to handle this in a proper way.

bj0

I just got this player for christmas, and I popped my 8gb uSD card out of my old Fuze (which is now dead) and popped it into the Fuze+.

When booting it says error reading uSD card, format it as Fat32 (it already is), and when I try to re-format it from the player, it says no uSD card detected, even though I can access it over usb from my computer.

I guess the firmware still needs some work...

SanDisk Guru

You can format the microSD or SDHC card when the player is connected to the PC USB port only.  The Fuze+ Format command only formats the Internal Memory.

Do you have a card reader to check the card directly on your PC?

Bob  Smiley Surprised

bj0

Oh hey, I didn't see I got a response to my post.  My computer doesn't have a SD card reader, but the computer can see the uSD card through the usb connection with the player.

I was waiting until new firmware came out in hopes that it would fix this issue, but the one that came out a couple days ago didn't change it.  I've tried formatting it in both linux and windows (while the player is plugged into the usb port).  Neither changes the error messages I've seen, even though it looks properly formatted on the computer.

I tried the 16GB microSD trick. Didn't work. Called tech support, spent over an hour with her. She got me through updating the firmware and checking different size microSDs on the Fuze+ and other devices. Bottom line the 16GB doesn't work in the Fuze ("FORMAT fat32" deal). I have a support number and was told it will be fixed and someone will get back to me within 48 to 72 hours. Stay tuned.

Any updated advice on this problem? I just bought a 16gb Fuze+ to replace my old 8gb Fuze. Trying to use a Sandisk 16gb micro SD card. I get message "File System error! Please format the uSD card to FAT32" and when I go to the settings menu to format the card, I get "No uSD card found".

Even though the SD card showed that it was already formatted as FAT32, I reformatted using my PC. I've scanned the card for errors and found none. I can also drag and drop from the Fuze+ internal memory to the SD Card (with adaptor, not inserted in Fuze+) using my PC with no problems.

When I connect the Sansa Fuze+ to my PC I can go to My Computer and am shown both internal AND external storage (sometiomes) however any attempts to drag and drop onto the SD Card while it's in the Fuze+ receives an error message that the files can't be copied (no reason given).

I have updated the Fuze+ to the most recent firmware.

Any solutions found yet?

SanDisk Professor

Do you have the latest firmware for the Fuze+?