Fuze is very quiet with ext. amplifier or car radio

Is it normal that fuze is so quiet with car radio or ampli? i need to turn volume to max in fuze and car radio (connected to AUX input) to hear anything and sound is terrible. with JVC amplifier is better (connected to VCR/DAT input), but still quiet (50% volume on ampli and 100% on fuze). on secoond small sony amplifier (only 2x5W) sound is like car radio, very very quiet and i can hear many distortions.

is it normal? why fuze output signal is so weak?

with headphones anyting soud great, but not with external ampli.

im using fuze wiht newest software

@rook wrote:

Is it normal that fuze is so quiet with car radio or ampli? i need to turn volume to max in fuze and car radio (connected to AUX input) to hear anything and sound is terrible. with JVC amplifier is better (connected to VCR/DAT input), but still quiet (50% volume on ampli and 100% on fuze). on secoond small sony amplifier (only 2x5W) sound is like car radio, very very quiet and i can hear many distortions.

Make sure the Fuze EQ is on Normal. It is normal to have to turn the Fuze all the way up though.

EQ is always on normal. It seems that fuze wont play loud and clear with external ampli (specialy with small one), plays good only with headphones. Its weird but my old nokia 5300 sound better with that amplifiers - its louder

@rook wrote:
EQ is always on normal. It seems that fuze wont play loud and clear with external ampli (specialy with small one), plays good only with headphones. Its weird but my old nokia 5300 sound better with that amplifiers - its louder

I used to hook mine into my home stereo. The volume would be at 100%, and there was no distortion at all. Sure, I had to turn the stereo up a little bit compared to the CD player for the same tracks, but it wasn’t a huge difference. Maybe your tracks aren’t ripped in a decent bitrate?

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 07-01-2009 10:08 AM

Sounds like a connection problem to me. You might have a bad cable, or it may simply not be plugged in fully. If either the Fuze or the car stereo are new, the jack may be a little tight at first so make sure the cable between the Fuze and the car stereo is plugged in fully at both ends. If it isn’t, you’ll notice that vocals especially sound distant and “echo-y”. Also, try connecting a different device to the car stereo to see if it is the stereo, the Fuze, or the cable.

@rook wrote:

This is typical when connecting a headphone out to a line in.  Headphone and line signals are not electrically the same (differences in voltage and impedance).  When the Fuze volume is all the way up, it comes fairly close to being a normal line-level signal and is generally usable, but the level is still low compared to a true line.   Different amps/receivers will handle the signal differently.  A lot of newer devices were designed to play well with portable gear and do a better job of handling headphone signals.  Other gear can have lower tollerances and won’t work as well.

While the volume problem is typical, the distortion problem you are having is not.  Many people (including me) are using the Fuze with car and home steroes without any distortion issues.  I’m guessing the issue is with the specific amps you are using.

Check your firmware  version  in settings > system settings > info

if the version ends with an F you have the european version which has a volume restriction

|GAAAYYYY|

so go to sandisk and update the firmware, then choose america or rest of world as your  region, not EU

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=38046

btw updating does not delete ur stuff so its OK

willywanka wrote:

if the version ends with an F you have the european version which has a volume restriction

|GAAAYYYY|

so go to sandisk and update the firmware, then choose america or rest of world as your  region, not EU

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=38046

Willy, note the date on the OP and the thread/discussion in general. It’s a year old. Just an FYI, the EU volume restriction wasn’t introduced until just very recently, like maybe 2 months ago. :wink:

willywanka wrote:

|GAAAYYYY|

Willy, note the date on the OP and the thread/discussion in general. It's almost a year old. Just an FYI, the EU volume restriction wasn't introduced until just very recently, like maybe 2 months ago. :wink:

I have noticed this problem after updating my firmware recently. The current firmware version is 01.02.31F. The Fuze is now virtually useless on the Tube and in the car, I have to turn my radio (Aux) volume up virtualy to max. This latter isn’t an issue until I choose to revert to the radio by unplgging the Fuze => Aux cable at which point the car virtually explodes unless I have remembered to turn the volume down first. This is driving me NUTS! Is there any way to get a decent output level on the Fuze without loading some foreign (e.g. US) firmware? Is there anywhere I can lay my hands on earlier (usable) versions of the firmware?

@surv1v0r wrote:
 Is there any way to get a decent output level on the Fuze without loading some foreign (e.g. US) firmware? Is there anywhere I can lay my hands on earlier (usable) versions of the firmware?

Yes, change your region to something not in the EU.  

This thread should be of interest. It was stickied at the top of the board at one time, but somehow got lost when the forum got a make-over.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-insufficient-volume-after-firmware-update/m-p/139809#M31557

a) How exactly do I change my region to something other than EU?

b) Will that not have an impact on my access to FM Radio?

@surv1v0r wrote:
a) How exactly do I change my region to something other than EU? b) Will that not have an impact on my access to FM Radio?

And answered in the same thread . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-insufficient-volume-after-firmware-update/m-p/139838/highlight/true#M31565

FM Radio settings are different.