Fuze extremely slow to load / skip songs

Alright guys… I’ve solved my own problem. I’ll put the solution here in case anyone else has this issue. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned before.

Anyway, the 16GB card I have is just fine, even though it’s just a class II card. Also, the number of songs I have (>2000) is also perfectly acceptable by the Fuze. The issue, I believe, arose from the method I used to transfer all the songs.

I had originally transferred all 2300+ songs via MSC. The media refresh took a good solid 10 minutes or so. Everything worked except an unusually long pause before loading any track.

In order to fix this I formatted my card in Windows (fat32) and then transferred all my songs back to the card, but this time in Windows Media Player using MTP mode. After this finished I noticed the media refresh took much less time (maybe 5 minutes) and the long pause before loading each track was gone! Now switching tracks takes less than a second.

So for anyone who stumples upon this having the same issue, it seems the Fuze likes songs transferred via MTP a little better than MSC… or at least it is able to load them up faster.

So there you have it… go figure.