Fuze+ Video Requirements

@jj2me wrote:

My particular question is this:

If a video file is in the root folder of a micro SD card, will it be playable by the Fuze?  

Why don’t you try it and see for yourself? Then you and post the answer for everyone. It would most likely be quicker than waiting for a response from someone else. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jj2me wrote:

My particular question is this:

If a video file is in the root folder of a micro SD card, will it be playable by the Fuze?  

Why don’t you try it and see for yourself? Then you and post the answer for everyone. It would most likely be quicker than waiting for a response from someone else. :wink:

Yes, that’s a good idea.  But something seems wrong that I’d have to buy a Fuze+  to find out whether I want to buy a Fuze+. 

Sheesh.

@jj2me wrote:

Yes, that’s a good idea.  But something seems wrong that I’d have to buy a Fuze+  to find out whether I want to buy a Fuze+. 

Sheesh.

Ooops, sorry . . . I thought you already had one.

Smiley

I have used SMC to successfully convert a video from Youtube - from what I’ve read, that shouldn’t have happened. But I have also tried using Any Media Converter, and then SMC, as per instructions seen online, with no results. I’m about to try Any again, and hope for the best.

@bjjjkd wrote:

Looking for free converter cause on very tight budget. thankyou for any help.

Here’s a few for you:

XviD4PSP

MEGui

Freemake Video Converter

SUPER (very simple to use)

XMedia-Recode (my personal favorate, lots of options to play with)

MediaCoder

Any Video Converter (very popular among Sandisk users)

Format Factory

Please note that I have never used some of these converters, before, so I don’t know if they will work, but I’m sure that finding one that works for you shouldn’t be a huge problem. Or, if you look around, there are certainly others you could try.

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak? Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

Hi, I got my fuze+ coming in the mail.  I got it for a nice price of 48 bucks for the 8 gig version directly from Amazon.   What I would like to know is what is the real battery life when playing a movie?  Is it possible to watch a full length two hour movie on it?  Sandisk claims five hours of course but is two and a half hours a more realistic guess?  I have a clip+ and love it.  I have always got about five or six hours of life out of it no matter the bit rate of the mp3s or how much I play with it. 

I really didn’t need to upgrade but the video features and the price sold me.  I already have a PSP that I can watch movies on as well but this just sounds more portable to me.  I have many older mp3 players that I don’t use because they have strange bugs that make them stop working.  The clip+ is the best I ever had without weird bugs so I thought I would give sandisk a try on this new one.  I had another MP3 with a  touch pad about eight years ago.  I don’t know if believe  people on how bad the touch pad is.  I’m guessing it couldn’t be any worse than the one I had then and that wasn’t too bad.

That’s a good deal for the Fuze+.  I love it for video, the display is larger than the earlier Fuze / e200, and the image quality is great.  Battery life on the new machine is better too; you can watch a few movies before it needs recharging.  I have watched a film, powered down, watched a second while the girls were waiching cartoons, and realized that I should plug the little guy in for a charge later in the day.

The Fuze+ does have a decent battery capacity, unlike the wee Clip+, which has the limitation its diminuitive size, and a physically much smaller battery.  I typically expect 8 hours at the most on the little one.

Be sure to update the Fuze+ to the latest firmware, as it greatly improves working with the machine, and fixes the lock function, directing it to the top power button.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

how do I make the .thm file?

@alienkid10 wrote:

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak?

jfadfe

Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

@alienkid10 wrote:

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak?

I seriously doubt it. Cinepak is not a commonly used format, and the Fuze+ is small and cheap. Combine these facts with the fact that there are only so many formats that can be programmed into the Fuze+, and I think the answer will be obvious.

@alienkd10 wrote:

Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

Look for programs that can extract jpegs from a video (such as Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Edition). That’s basically what a thm file is, a jpeg file with a different extension.

Also,

@slimmyshady wrote:

I had the same problem as “primetechv2”. I convert a movie onto the Fuze+ using SMC. I then play the movie on the player. It plays for about 12 minutes, then randomly cuts out. It did convert the whole movie, because in the videos menu on the player it says the movie is about 2 hours long. When I go to pause the movie, it pauses, but when I try to resume the screen goes black and the player freezes and doesn’t resume. When I try to skip, fast forward or resume play from the menu, the player freezes, screen goes black and I cannot resume play of the movie. This is very frustrating, as I am doing everything right, using SMC and converting everything fine. Any suggestions?

I have found that the Fuze+ desperately struggles with AVI files. This is especially true with longer movies. I suspect that it has something to do with how overly complicated an AVI file actually is. Those of you who have read the first tutorial on how to convert files for the original Fuze without SMC should know what I am talking about. Things like interweaving, OpenDML, RIFF, ect.

That said, what codecs does your *.avi file use? Unless it uses either WMV video, or WMA audio, you should be able to download something like My MP4Box Gui to instantly copy the audio and video streams into MP4 format (without loss of quality). The Fuze+ seems to love those little mp4’s.

What res does the .thm need to be in?

Well, the sample videos use 168x126, but pretty much any resolution should do. However, I should tell you that the Fuze+ will probably ignore this file, if it is named incorrectly. Let’s say that you have a video called “Attack of the Boogers.avi”. You will need to name the *.thm file as “Attack of the Boogers_large.thm”. Without the “_large” part, the Fuze+ just doesn’t realize that it is actually supposed to be a thumbnail for that video, and just ignores it.

Hello I just want to know if we can any video be converted this way?Thanks.

as long as it is not drm protected. 

I have successfully converted videos (e.g. TED talks) to Sansa Fuze+ on an ubuntu machine using ffmpeg.

If you are not familiar with Linux bash scripts you had better stop reading here.

I have a directory where I collect the files to be converted, with two sub directories named “done” and “out”

The following bash script does the work:

#! /bin/bash
for file in *.mp4
do
    ffmpeg  -i “$file” -s 320x180 -vf pad=320:240:0:20 “out/$file”
    mv – “$file” done
done
when the script is done the originals are found in subdirectory “done” and the files to be moved to my Fuze+ in directory “out”.

I hope somebody else find this useful.

Best regards

Jeppe

PS.

ffmpeg -version

ffmpeg version N-31760-g84a6abd, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Aug  5 2011 00:03:34 with gcc 4.4.5
DS

I also came accross some videos in ogg format. Since the Sansa Fuze+ player don’t know much about Theora and Vorbis, I needed to specify the codecs. These files were also in aspect ratio 4:3 so no need to pad.

Please find below the scripts for *.ogv files:

#! /bin/bash
# This is for Ogg Video (need to change codecs, Sansa don’t know about Theora/Vorbis)
for file in *.ogv
do
    ffmpeg  -i “$file”  -s 320x240 -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libfaac “out/$file.mp4”
    mv – “$file” done
done

As before, I’m running Ubuntu, currently 10.10

Regards

Jeppe

Sometimes the fuze+ don’t play the resulting mp4 container files properly. Using the avi container format is a nice workaround. Also I needed to change the audio codec to mp3, please see below.

#! /bin/bash
# This is for aspect ratio 16:9, sometimes the fuze+ player don’t play mp4 files properly
# so I use .avi container instead with mp3 audio
for file in .mp4
do
    ffmpeg  -i “$file”  -s 320x180 -vf pad=320:240:0:20 -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame "out/${file%%.
}.avi"
    mv – “$file” done
done
read -p “Please press Enter to continue” yn

Best regards

Jeppe

halonachos117 wrote:The Fuze+ can NOT play MPEG-4 AVC video streams which use more than one reference frame. If you do have two or more reference frames, you must convert/reconvert the file, so that there is only one reference frame.

I take what I said back. IDK if I had just accidenly converted a bad video or if there was something Sandisk didn’t mention in thier Firmware updates, but it seems that the Fuze+ can play as many as 7 reference frames, although the video does sometimes seem to freeze. Stop the video with the back button, then resume to fix this issue.