Fuze+ Video Requirements

After reading the specs for video conversion, I decided to give things a test run. I fired up HandBrake and put in the specs, as close as I could… couldn’t get 192kbps audio so I settled for 168, and used 29.97 fps instead of 30 (close?)

The video was output as a .m4v file. Does the file extention matter, or just the way it’s encapsulated? I copied it to my Fuze+ and it… didn’t work.

When I attempted to copy it the first time around, Windows 7 (compliments of K-Lite) detected the “wrong” type of file, and offered to convert it to the proper type instead. I said yes the second time around, and it made a file that was playable… somewhat. It took about 10 more minutes to convert the file into a proper MP4, with an inferior size of 176x96, 271kbps total, and a framerate of 29FPS.

But what irks me is that while the video works if you press Play, that’s it. You can’t fast-forward, pause, resume… anything, without screwing up the video.

So I’m off to try SMC right now, see what I did wrong. Should I be using something besides Handbrake maybe?