Fuze Plus Rockbox and MicroSD Issues

First off - apologies if any or all of this has been covered.

I’ve been using Sansa (with Rockbox) for years and was obliged to get a fuze +.  I’ll skip the ’ I hate it ’ portion of my review.

My problems are thus:

1. I’ve inserted my previously-used (by me) and completely workable MicroSD 16GB into the Fuze+ before, during and after turning it on.  It’ll say “loading card” but then the albums from my microSD do not show up.  They don’t show up in the ‘external card’ sub-category of the music category, either.

2. I’ve been trying to download Rockbox, which I have done successfully in the past.  However, when I attempt to place the Rockbox utility onto my player’s drive, I cannot, because there is no folder associated with it (D or E or F drive, I mean.)  Instead, it comes up simply under ‘my computer’ as a ‘portable device.’

Help…?  I don’t want to get an iPhone!  ;) 

@blurboy008 wrote:

1. I’ve been trying to download Rockbox, which I have done successfully in the past.  However, when I attempt to place the Rockbox utility onto my player’s drive, I cannot, because there is no folder associated with it (D or E or F drive, I mean.)  Instead, it comes up simply under ‘my computer’ as a ‘portable device.’

Rockbox is MSC only firmware. Change to this USB mode in the Settings menu (on the player) and you will have 2 drives pop up in Windows Explorer (My Computer); one for the player and the 2nd for the card slot. These will be listed under Devices With Removable Storage , not Other as you ‘portable device’ is.

Ahhh.  Very good.  Thanks, Tapeworm.

For your first problem what format are the files in? Are the tags correct, with the ISO 8859-1 coding?

Assuming that you only  have this problem with the OF (and plan on using it), try deleting the *.dat files and the *.idx files that the OF dumps on the memory card. Please note, these files will only be visible if you connect the player in MSC mode (or insert the memory card into a card reader). Your Fuze+ will take a long time to load, as it will have to recreate these from scratch, but if these files are somehow corrupt or incorrect deleting them can help solve weird issues like this.

Of course, If you can’t see them in Rockbox or in MSC mode (or a card reader), your FAT filesystem is probably messed up, so you may have to reformat and reload everything.