Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SanDisk User
FuzionNow

Re: Fuze+ Feedback and Feature Request Thread

"Can someone please explain why folder navigation is so important to them?  I'm trying to think of an occasion it would have helped me and cannot think of one.  I don't want to tell people it shouldn't be important to them just because it isn't important to me, but would still love to know why it's so important to others."

Absolutely!   Personally, I prefer tag based play and the iPod and Rio Karma were just fantastic at it.  The Fuze+ is ok at it, but only for the tiny capacity models.  We users here who are crying out for folder based play made the mistake of believing Sansa's published specifications and we purchased 16 Gig Fuze+ players and added 32 Gig SD cards.  The current tag based play becomes compeletly unusable uand unresponsive from 1/2 to 2/3 of that capacity. 

Hey, we trusted Sansa and forked over our money.... and why not?  after all Sansa always delivered flawlessly with the original Fuze.  Folder based play is easy to develop and fast and efficient to use.  It's not sexy, it's not cool.... but it would allow so many of us to use the the device that we paid $175 for over half a year ago.

That's why we want it!

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

FuzionNow wrote:

"Can someone please explain why folder navigation is so important to them?

Absolutely!   We users here who are crying out for folder based play made the mistake of believing Sansa's published specifications and we purchased 16 Gig Fuze+ players and added 32 Gig SD cards.  The current tag based play becomes compeletly unusable uand unresponsive from 1/2 to 2/3 of that capacity. 

Actually, having been here for a few years and reading through countless requests for Folder navigation from hundreds of people on the various SanDisk players, the main reasons seems to be

A.) People are too lazy to properly tag (or edit same) their files.

B.) People who have a large collection of mixed, or "complilation" albums with many individual artists.

C.) People who use their players primarily for podcasts and/or audio books.

You have an axe to grind about the functionality of a large capacity Fuze+ with a large capacity card when trying to utilize this greater memory space for a massive music collection. Not that you don't have a valid concern or complaint, but you are definitely in the minority as far as your reasoning and justification for wanting folder-based navigation.

Instead of saying, " We users" it would be more accurate for you to say "Me user".

SanDisk User
-sandro-

come on are you serious? have you even TRIED yourself to navigate through albums or songs with a large collection (if you want to put hundreds of songs as "large"), Tell me how long it takes you to go from A to Z.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re-read my post. You missed my point entirely.

osixpterripus

Just wanted to add another vote to fix the M3U path issue, although I have a feeling its related to folders. Took me a while to get use to the slide bars, but now that I am I would be happy if I could text edit my own M3U playlists and not have to have all the music in the same folder.
SanDisk User
FuzionNow

[ Edited ]

Tapeworm, you are so very, very, very wrong.  I have a well tagged collection.  It is also organized logically in folders by artist and album.  There's a strategry for mixed artist compilations as well.  I am happy with tagged based play by artist, genre and album.  I am happy with folder based play based on my hierarchy, and I'm quite amenable to flattening it if needed.

But the Sansa Fuze+ cannot do folder based play at all and it cannot do any tag based play beyond artist for a collectoin over 20 gibabytes.  If you're saying that I have an axe to grind because the Sansa won't play a 48 Gig collection, which it clearly is supposed to do by the specificatoins... then you are right.   But it needs to be said so that other unwary people don't lose $200+ on a worthless purchase.  The sharing of information is the power of message boards.   Sansa also has the opportunity to read these requests and there is always the chance that someone at Sansa will do so. 

But I have owned this player in 48 Gig capacity since Sept of 2010 and it is still nonfunctional.  I'm lobbying for folder based play becuase it is simple, efficient, it works and most of all because it is easy for Sansa to implement correctly.   In other words, I'm offering these folks a way out of their issues until they can hire a team with enough talent to emulate an iPod at a level beyond  a screen shot.  All they have to gain from it is huge sales volume, happy customers and ultimately a restoration of their reputation.

SanDisk User
FuzionNow

p.s. tapeworm....

.... if it's just me with an "axe to grind", then why would you say that this compellingly beautiful little solid state device with a great DAP, lighweight small form factor, and long battery life and great capacity has totally failed in the market place while hte Fuze, Clip and others do well? 

You really don't think that its complete nonfunctionality well below its rated capacity  has an impact on sales?  In my opinion Sansa should toss $100,000 to split between a few key Rockbox developers and get their firmware ported by the end of this month.  $100,000 to get an extra $100 million in sales next quarter?  Good business I'd say as long as we're talking about feedback and feature requests...

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

[ Edited ]

FuzionNow wrote:

Tapeworm, you are so very, very, very wrong.

I love it when people read only what they want to see, not what is written. The 3 primary reasons given above for folder navigation requests (on various players) were based on reading hundreds of previous similar requests long before you arrived. It was not an accusation or 'dissing' of you in any way, shape or form. Quite the contrary.

The fact that you say you have a very well tagged collection and folder/file hierarchy and that the Fuze+ works as it should with fewer files or less memory space used, but chokes when filled up (or nearly so) supports my claim that your reasons for wanting/needing folder navigation is different than those listed.

You (and Sandro) have a valid claim and right to have this player work as designed at full capacity or any portion thereof. This is definitely something that SanDisk needs to look into and address (at their earliest convenience). I was only saying that your 'work-around' suggestion (and the reasoning behind the request) was different, and that most people (and players) can indeed function normally on tag-based systems.

I have a Clip+ 8GB and a 32GB memory card, both filled to the max. It works perfectly and while it came with folder navigation, I have never felt the need (or desire) to use it. You have a different situation; you are asking for it (folder nav.) in order to make up for what appears to be a flaw in the machine itself. This is not a fix; it is a way to get around the problem.

But having said that, it is not going to help your cause by focusing every post (in multiple threads) on the issue and beating the proverbial dead horse. Frankly, it's getting a bit old. Trust me when I say the appropriate people at SanDisk have seen and heard about the issue, and I'm confident they are working on the issue as we speak. Don't take the lack of 'official' response or comment as ignoring the problem in hopes it will go away, or burying their corporate heads in the sand. The fix may not come as soon as you'd like it, but it will come. Having worked for very large companies in the past, I can tell you the biggest wheels turn the slowest.

Can we move on now?

SanDisk Guru
drlucky

if it helps anything there has been an official response stating that folder browsing is coming in a firmware update. also they have stated they are working on the sluggish performance although no spicific statement was made if it would be resolved. 

SanDisk User
-sandro-

I'm sorry about that. I understand what you're saying but it seemed like you were referring to him too, which was not the case.
And I agree even if it was available I'll never use but in this case do we have a choice? It's the only choice If they are not going to fix that. It just bothers me how the hell could they put this -thing- (to be polite) in the market. Wasn't it better to work better on the firmware instead of promising and advertising they "constantly updated the firmware". Maybe there's some kind of hidden marketing strategy I can't get.

I come from a Creative similar experience , in 2008 I bought a Zen and they used to have community forums like those ones where people were complaining about the non-SD integration with the library. The difference is that there were official answers on the forums but did they ever do that? No, they continued to release more models with the same WANTED issue. Bottom line if they fixed that all the bigger capacity models would not sell.

So maybe Sandisk is different...well I hope