FM Radio has stopped working on my Sansa Fuze

Initially, my Sansa Fuze FM Radio was working. Yesterday after choosing Auto Presets and while auto scanning was going on, it was taking a very long time, so I tried to switch off my player, but it continued the scan, so I waited till it was completed. After that, the FM Radio stopped working. Any solution for this?

please explain more.

does it open up at all, does it just shut off, etc…

Make sure there are headphones plugged in, near a window, rescan… it’s possible it failed to pick up any signals…

Also, what happens if (again with headphones) if you manually scan to a channel you know should have a signal? Do you hear noise?

Maybe it’s PAUSED (||) ?

@timn wrote:

Make sure there are headphones plugged in, near a window, rescan… it’s possible it failed to pick up any signals…

Also, what happens if (again with headphones) if you manually scan to a channel you know should have a signal? Do you hear noise?

I was advised by Technical Support to reset the device and upgrade my firmware, which I have done. Upgraded to V01.01.28P. But still my FM Radio is not working, even after trying out all the suggestions given by you. Is this the latest firmware version? Where can I learn more about the different features of latest firmware?

I’d be glad if there are some other workarounds to make my FM Radio work again.

without giving us some detail we cant help you

1. No sound even at max volume. Player is not freezing and I can use |<< and >>| for tuning.

2. I am using headphones labeled ‘Sansa’ and FM Radio was working previously with these exact same hadphones.

3. In Settings > Radio Options, I set it to both World and USA but FM Radio doesn’t work in either.

4. Name of place of purchase of the player? Got it through eBay.in. Behind, it is labeled SanDisk Refurb. Date of order was around 29th Dec 2009. Received it on 4th Jan 2010. Product Link

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=250552268758&view=all&tid=523983110015

I had a Fuze w/ dead FM. I don’t even hear the static that’s normally present. In my case, there was a plausible explanation: I plugged it into a cheap AC/USB charger that went poof and killed itself and damaged the Fuze.

Anyway, when an electronic device is working, and a problem develops, w/o any user action that may have caused it, then it’s usually a device issue that’s probably not user-fixable. Your recourse would be with the seller.

I just had the identical symptoms; no sound, no static. I was ready to rtn to the store. Someone mentioned the

PAUSE button at the top of the circle. I pressed the FM and it worked again. Hope that solves your problem too.

The Fuza sure has a steep learning curve.

Excuse me. I meant I pressed the PAUSE botton and the FM worked again.

I was told by Sandisk support that the original pair of headphones incorporates the FM receiver which allows the radio to run on the player. Well where is the receiver, on the headphones themselves or somewhere along the cable? And I tried using the headphones which I got with my mobile phone to listen to FM Radio and it works fine, so definitely headphones are not the cause. Any other workaround?

Something probably got lost in the translation…which is kinda funny since techsupp is probably in India where you are…but “FM receiver” means the cable is used as the antenna. Yah, headphone isn’t likely the prob. Workaround: Welp, if you have to have your FM, just get another player w/ FM. Geez, 2GB Fuze were on sale for like 10 bux here in the states (yeah, it was a blue light special thingie). Can’t imagine the exchange rate would be that terrible…

I am having the same issue.  I noticed that it stopped working when I tried to connect the player to a travel speaker. I made sure that the mute button wasn’t on.  Then, I went back to the original Sansa headphones and the radio still would not play even though the bottom says “Now Playing.” I updated the Firmaware but that didn’t seem to help.  Does anyone have suggestions?

You might try a reset or Reset Factory Settings (2 different things).

Thanks, I tried both suggestions, but neither worked.  Now I’m trying to figure out how to uninstall and reinstall the firmware to see if that may help, but I’m not quite sure where the root directory of the Sansa player is.

ramoru wrote:
Thanks, I tried both suggestions, but neither worked.  Now I’m trying to figure out how to uninstall and reinstall the firmware to see if that may help, but I’m not quite sure where the root directory of the Sansa player is.

It’s the main folder (or directory) where all the folders are. Think of it as the C: drive of you computer, only on the player.

Got it. I reinstalled v. 2.03.31 and that didn’t solve the issue, so I rolled back to 2.01.17 (didn’t bother with the .26 version since that one’s been buggy) and that didn’t help, either.  So now I’m thinking it could be the headphones, but I don’t know about that because they work fine playing transferred music, just not the radio. 

And I’ve also been having issues for a few days with the lower button not working and the screen temoprarily freezing up until I switch the hold button on and off, so maybe the radio is not a separate issue from that.  This also seems to have started when the screen turned white after I hit the replay gain button a week or so ago.  

It sounds like a firmware issue to me, and I’m not sure what else I can do about it. 

Sounds like you have a bum unit.  A tuner is a tuner.  If it goes out, you’re done for.  Just buy a new Sansa Fuze, or yours without the tuner.  I never trust re-furbs (with non-component replaceable units)… faulty cross-referenced components and soldering/connection issues can happen without your ability to fix it.

ggin1

ramoru wrote:

Got it. I reinstalled v. 2.03.31 and that didn’t solve the issue, so I rolled back to 2.01.17 (didn’t bother with the .26 version since that one’s been buggy) and that didn’t help, either.  So now I’m thinking it could be the headphones, but I don’t know about that because they work fine playing transferred music, just not the radio. 

And I’ve also been having issues for a few days with the lower button not working and the screen temoprarily freezing up until I switch the hold button on and off, so maybe the radio is not a separate issue from that.  This also seems to have started when the screen turned white after I hit the replay gain button a week or so ago.  

It sounds like a firmware issue to me , and I’m not sure what else I can do about it. 

Actually, it was the .28 f/w version that had a problem with Replay Gain, not the .26.

Sounds more like a hardware problem. If it were firmware-related, re-installing the firmware (regardless of version) would fix your problem.

Okay. So glad for the warranty!