Earbud recommendations for 10 yr. old?

My 10 yr. old daughter just got a Sansa Fuze and says the earbuds are uncomfortable. And as long as we’re getting new ones, I’d like somewhat better sound for her.

We’re not audiophiles so we don’t need top of the line - probably not even middle. Just a step or two above what we’ve got as far as sound and comfort.

The other 2 considerations are “coolness factor” and cost. To be “cool”, they must be earbuds, not traditional-style headphones . As far as price, $10 - $15 would be great but Santa would go up to $20 for total comfort or a way cool color.

Recommendations, oh ye experts?

I  would reccoment JVC Marshmallows. They have pretty good sound. At Wal-Mart, they’re $14.88.

Thay come in black, green, pink, blue, white, and red.

Sounds way cool! Even the name! Thanks!

I insisted for years that my daughter didn’t wear sound isolation earbuds (like the marshmallow) until she got older…and even for a few years I insisted that she didn’t use them walking around. Having driven her to school for many years, I’ve seen kids walking around barely paying attention as it is - I’m not sure its a good idea letting them being almost completely unable to hear as well.

I got her some pink Koss earbuds from Target, and she liked those.

Message Edited by bdb on 11-22-2008 12:36 PM

I’ll bet that these JVCs just might fit the bill:

JVC “Gummi” Type

This design is soft, but it’s more of an open design.  All the better to hear you with…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@bdb wrote:

I insisted for years that my daughter didn’t wear sound isolation earbuds (like the marshmallow) until she got older…and even for a few years I insisted that she didn’t use them walking around. Having driven her to school for many years, I’ve seen kids walking around barely paying attention as it is - I’m not sure its a good idea letting them being almost completely unable to hear as well.

I got her some pink Koss earbuds from Target, and she liked those.

Message Edited by bdb on 11-22-2008 12:36 PM

Very good point. Didn’t realize better earbuds could make such a difference in that. I’ll check out the Koss and the ones neutronbob recommended.

Yeah, I’d go with the Gummi’s, honestly.  The soft rubber makes them far more comfortable than the majority of “conventionally-shaped” earbuds, which is really important to me.  This, combined with their $10 price tag, means that these would be the headphones I would buy if I lost/forgot/broke mine on a trip and needed new ones to last me till I got home.  They’re not in-ear, so you won’t have to worry about them bothering her ears, making her deaf while she’s wearing them, and risking the ear infections that young children seem to get so often.  Sound quality can’t be that great on such a cheap set, but I have yet to hear any JVC product that wasn’t good.  Besides, she’s 10, I’m sure she cares more about the pastel colors than sound quality, anyway.  Get a set of the Gummi’s, they’re cheap, comfortable, will probably be considered “cool” by other 10 year olds, and probably sound pretty decent, too.

Well, I found some Gummy Air Cushion earbuds for 6.99 and free shipping on eBay. The ad said they were  brand new, factory fresh  and not refurbished. The seller was digital bundle.

I hope they’re not fakes.

Not wanting isolation earbuds makes sense. In that case, I would reccomend Gummis, too!

@gabe565 wrote:

I  would reccoment JVC Marshmallows. They have pretty good sound. At Wal-Mart, they’re $14.88.

Thay come in black, green, pink, blue, white, and red.

I just picked up a pair of these for “everyday” non-critical use and they are indeed good.  One of the best inexpensive headphones I have tried of late.

Thanks for the tip!

You’re welcome! I’ve used them and they were the best ones I’ve seen under $20.00! Just like Sansa’s: more bang for your buck!