Highlighted
SanDisk User
Accepted Solution

Don't overthink your Fuze

I've been   running with the 8gb and a 4gb miniSD since April and i think it's terrific.Now , i am by no means the most technically adept person on the planet but,i have been able to navigate through some of the potential pitfalls of the Fuze (and there are some)without to much trouble.If you are a new Fuze owner don't be overwhelmed by the all  technical jargon on these pages because you may be able to avoid it.Here's what i've learned.First off, the Sansa Media Converter is very temperamental (one might even say unstable)and   i try not to have any other apps running while i'm converting because  the SMC can (and will)       sometimes freeze up on you.Also,there are only certain video file types you can use with the SMC so you need a video converter to change your video files into something the Fuze can use.(I'm using the Movkit batch converter and it works great).For whatever reason i've had greater success  converting               avi. and MPEG file types  to the Fuze so i stick with these.But,the SMC does some strange,strange things sometimes so don't be surprised if you end up unistalling the program and then reinstalling (i've done this several times)but, it does seem to help.As far as music is concerned the Fuze is a dream because it is so easy to use.By the way i think the way the Fuze manages podcasts is one of it's best features.I manage all my music by genre so i have no difficulties finding songs (as some people have noted).As far as album art goes,well sometimes i get it and sometimes it doesn't show up but really, i can live without it. Lastly,there are a few drawbacks to the Fuze, one of which is dust under the screen and Sansa really needs to find a solution to this and secondly,the screen can scratch very easily so what i did was take one of my sons PSP screen savers and trim it to size and then placed it on the    Fuzes screen    and it works perfectly. At the moment i have 913 songs and podcasts,51 videos(including entire episodes of Monk,Stargate SG1,Stargate Atlantis ,anime music videos ect.)and 32 photos! The Fuze does every thing i ask it to and i think it's way better than the ipod nano.Antway here' hoping you all good success with your Fuze as well...                                  

SanDisk User

Re: Don't overthink your Fuze

Ditto. I too, although not a techie by any means, have been madly in love with the Fuze (and an 8BG microSDHC). I did a lot of reading through these posts even before my 8GB buddy arrived and was a bit intimidated. But, I have not encountered many of the problems others have complained about. The only issue I was hesitant about was album art, but I viewed the video that showed how to copy/paste the jpeg into the album folder...problem solved. I was anxious to get videos and saw a post about AnyVideoConverter...problem solved. I also got the effectmatrix.com dvd ripper to put my favorite movies on my little buddy...problem solved. I would definitely grab a black unit if available. Once the Z-A scrolling is provided I will be completely satisfied.
SanDisk User

Yep,this little baby goes everywhere with me and people at work were very impressed by it's size and capabilities.This is the best purchase i've made in quite awhile.  
SanDisk User

Bump

SanDisk User

Bump
SanDisk Guru

Posts with ?'s or info = GOOD! Smiley Happy

Posts with BUMPS = BAD! Smiley Mad

a good thread though!  and agreed, my kids ipods take too much thought so i just purchased the 2gb (mistake, proly will return for 4) yesterday.  replacing a sony bean that had awesome battery life but nothing else going on. 

i noticed after downloading 40 songs that i can't dl anymore, rhapsody message says "full".  most of my music is from live shows or cds, so yes, the tracks lengths are longer, but this doesnt seem right....any ideas?

SanDisk Professor

I really like my Fuze.  I only got a 4 and wonder if I should have got an 8, but it's easy enough to use to delete audio books and podcasts I've heard and don't want to save.

I agree, ipods aren't that easy. My corworkers bought ipods and they are not having as much fun or ease with them.

My 4gb Sansa Fuze Isn't holding more than 250 songs. HELP!  has info on why you may only have a few songs in there.  If that doesn't work for a link, it's a few pages back and you should be able to find it.

[ Edited ]

thanks...so i did reformat the Fuze and:

- used rhapsody to upload a total of 29 mp3 tracks, the size noted in rhapsody of these tracks = 3hrs/1.7GB

so if the "play" time is only 3 hours (and for a 2GB device the play time "should" be 32 hours of music) but the file size totals 1.7GB, I'm assuming I need to convert this mp3s into smaller files? if this is the case, how do i do this?

Smiley Surprised  ok...converted em in roxio.  all's well!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Caco on 08-06-2008 09:59 AM
SanDisk Professor

Dalaug234 wrote:

I agree, ipods aren't that easy. My corworkers bought ipods and they are not having as much fun or ease with them.

I've had an iPod for years. Its plenty easy. The biggest problem with it is that you're completely bound to iTunes, whereas I can hook my Fuze to nearly anything. Of course, if I want a case or accessory for an iPod, I can go just about anywhere and have many choices - with the Fuze, they are few and far between. Which pretty much leads back to this thread - you have to keep it simple. Forget about line-in to your car stereo and all that, and just use it as a portable audio player.