Docking Station for Sansa Fuze

Is there a docking station/speakers for the Sansa Fuze? If there is…where can I buy one?

Thanks for everyones help!!!

All the docking stations and speakers that worked with the e200 series should work with the Fuze.

Some examples:

Altec Lansing inMotion iM413

Altec Lansing inMotion iM510

Macally IceTune

There are others out there as well…

I know there is the SDAMXBSTA75 which is used for the e200 series.  The Fuze appears to have the same 30 pin connector, but someone said they tried the View with this docking station and the remote control was not able to control the View’s track selection and volume (the only functions available on the remote).  I would really like to know whether or not SanDisk is developing a new docking station specifically for the View and Fuze series.  It would be a shame to have such a great product neglected in accessory support.

I have not tried that particular dock personally, but the controls on the one I listed did work with the Fuze. However, I do not think those have a remote. If you need something with a remote, the Timex Clock Radiohas a remote that works with the Fuze.

I am getting a Sansa Fuze and one of my requirements is to get a dock that works with it.  If anyone has actually used a Sansa Fuze in a dock with a remote and knows it works I would greatly appreciate you indicating which one so that I can get one.

Thanks! 

I have a Sansa dock and yes it works.  Search for Sansa Base Station.

You can remove the plastic e200 or c200 adapter and the fuze will plug on the connector. 

Link here

-SansaFix 

Message Edited by sansafix on 04-30-2008 01:43 PM

Message Edited by SansaMe on 04-30-2008 01:59 PM

That is cool…thanks for the link - I had not seen that one before.  Is there verification of one with built-in speakers that works with the Fuze and a remote control?

Keith 

Well, I got the SDAMX-BST docking station to use with my 8GB Fuze and gave it a try yesterday.  The mechanical adapters did not work with the Fuze (as expected since they are for the e-series only).  The Fuze did plug into the docking station without any mechanical adapter on the base station.  The power button on the remote works, the play/pause button works, the track advance and reverse works - and so does the volume up and down.  This last point was a disappointment to me.  I thought the docking station would have a true line-out signal coming from the Fuze.  It appears the line-out is only an amplified version of the headphone output.  I was hoping to use this to listen to my player through my stereo system, but the line-out signal is too weak and way too flat (complete lack of amplitude for low frequency/mid-range frequency signals).  I had to turn the volume on the Fuze almost all the way up to get any real signal strength out of it and even then the audio stage was lacking.  I was hoping it would be a true high level line-out with good quality audio, but looks like I will be using this only for small desktop speakers at best.  Another discouraging thing is that I also purchased the Griffin docking station for the Fuze at the same time as I purchased the SDAMX-BST (since the Griffin docking station was only $15 and will soon be discontinued, I thought I might as well get it too) and it is no better.  The Griffin dock is also an amplified headphone out signal.  The worst part about the Griffin dock is the fact the internal amplifier saturates at a volume on the Fuze at around 5/8 volume and can not provide any additional amplitude to the line-out.  The Griffin also lacks the audio clarity I was hoping for so now I am stuck scratching my head trying to find a good way of getting high level line-out audio into my stereo from any mp3 player.  I hope this helps clear up some details about these two docking stations.   

Thanks for the details. I’ve seen pictures of the Griffin dock cracked open, and it appears to just take the line-out straight off the adapter, so most likely the Fuze line-out isn’t a fixed volume.

Peridoc,

To answer your question/quest…

SPEAKERS & REMOTE = Altec Lansing iM413, made for the e200 series, but works fine with FUZE.

BTW - Some one earlier mentioned the remote does not function with the View, well that’s incorrect… Well as long as you are using the latest firmware on the View (.09A).

Hope this helps…

Good Luck !!

backtrack9,

Not to be insulting, but what about a regular (3.5 mm male jack to a standard AV) plug…

Then you could plug one end into your player and the other AV end (the red & white cable) into your stereo…

Hope this helps…

Good luck !!

randyjjtcc, 

Thanks for the information!  That is exactly what I was wondering… 

@randyjjtcc wrote:

backtrack9,

Not to be insulting, but what about a regular (3.5 mm male jack to a standard AV) plug…

Then you could plug one end into your player and the other AV end (the red & white cable) into your stereo…

Hope this helps…

Good luck !!

This will work, it’s just not ideal.  Headphone output is much lower level than normal line in/out.  So even with the player’s volume on max, you’ll still have to turn your stereo up much higher than normal.  Also, headphone out is generally not as clean as line-out.  Luckilly with the Clip & Fuze this isn’t really an issue as the headphone out sound quality is very good.

@SkinJob,

Thank you for putting up that explanation.  Exactlly what I was going to say.

“Headphone output is much lower level than normal line in/out.”

this is NOT true, headphone out has higher dB levels because it goes through the preamp built into the player.   true, line out is clearer because it is level and does not pass through an amp.  you’ll beusing your stereo’s amp, instead of passing through double amps, but trust me you won’t notice the difference.

just remember to set your volume on the Fuze low first and than adjust accordingly. 

@thoma wrote:

“Headphone output is much lower level than normal line in/out.”

this is NOT true, headphone out has higher dB levels because it goes through the preamp built into the player.   true, line out is clearer because it is level and does not pass through an amp.  you’ll beusing your stereo’s amp, instead of passing through double amps, but trust me you won’t notice the difference.

just remember to set your volume on the Fuze low first and than adjust accordingly. 

Uh oh, Here we go again :smiley:.

Form past discussion, I know thoma disagrees, but the difference in level is usually quite obvious.  Hook up any normal line level component like a CD or DVD player to your stereo and listen to it, then plug your MP3 player into the same input via headphone and you will absolutely notice a volume difference (and possibly a quality difference).  Line out/in and headphones have significantly different voltage and impedance.  Usually, to get the level in the “normal” range from a headphone output you have to turn the player’s volume up so far that the voltage output exceeds what a line in expects and you’ll get distortion (i.e. you are overdriving the input).  Also, at higher volumes, the player’s internal amp could be distorting as well (not really the case with Clip/Fuze).  When you turn the player’s volume down so that you don’t overdrive the input, the volume level is much lower than normal line input and you have to turn your stereo way up to compensate.

Of course your mileage may vary.  These things are not very rigidly spec’d and different combinations of components will produce different results.  If the input on your stereo is able to handle the higher voltage OK, you might get decent results.  This is the case with a lot of newer car stereos that have front panel aux input.  They can handle the voltage and many additionally have a user adjustable gain that can boost the input signal to compensate for the lower volume.

I was just at Best Buy trying this myself with a 4GB Clip hooked up to a few different newer JVC car stereos with front panel aux.  With the Clip’s volume all the way up and the adjustable input gain on the JVC turned up, the results were quite good.  On my home stereo’s Sony receiver, however, even with the Clip turned all the way up, the volume is still quite low and I have to really crank up the receiver’s volume to get a decent listening level.

Now I see you keep confusing dB levels with sound quality. and I keep telling you true line out WILL NOT BE louder than the preamped headphone. do you know what an amp is for?

headphone preamp> stereo amp output is going to be louder than “true line out” NO AMP > stereo amp.   

the whole point of an amp is to amplify sound.  please stop telling peopel that audio without an amp is louder than audio with an amp, what do you think the point of putting a amp in a car is for?

from your last paragraph, of course the best buy’s stereos is going to be louder than your sissy home stereo! their units handle up to 200watts of power, and are hooked up to their amps that can add up to 2000watts of POWA! now compared to your home sony stereo, which I don’t even know what you have or what you have set up, but I can sure as think that it is not better than best buy’s set up. in the long run their total amp power is better than yours, so of course your going to have less volume.  providing you line out isn’t going to suddenly make your sound louder than bestbuy, in fact you’ll need to get ANOTHER amp source that is better.

this whole time you’ve been arguing to me about dB levels, sound quality, amps, no amps, your getting them all confused. dB is NOT the same as  sound quality.  you keep saying line out has better sound quality (YES I AGREE, but its not noticeble by that much), and you keep saying it is louder (NO THIS IS NOT TRUE, dB levels are not AMPLIFIED, you need an AMP to do that!) and you keep interchanging their definitions with each other. 

as I already said, stop wasting your time and effort and money on this, because in the end, your going just going end up with the same results.  

@thoma wrote:

Now I see you keep confusing dB levels with sound quality. and I keep telling you true line out WILL NOT BE louder than the preamped headphone. do you know what an amp is for?

headphone preamp> stereo amp output is going to be louder than “true line out” NO AMP > stereo amp.   

the whole point of an amp is to amplify sound.  please stop telling peopel that audio without an amp is louder than audio with an amp, what do you think the point of putting a amp in a car is for?

from your last paragraph, of course the best buy’s stereos is going to be louder than your sissy home stereo! their units handle up to 200watts of power, and are hooked up to their amps that can add up to 2000watts of POWA! now compared to your home sony stereo, which I don’t even know what you have or what you have set up, but I can sure as think that it is not better than best buy’s set up. in the long run their total amp power is better than yours, so of course your going to have less volume.  providing you line out isn’t going to suddenly make your sound louder than bestbuy, in fact you’ll need to get ANOTHER amp source that is better.

this whole time you’ve been arguing to me about dB levels, sound quality, amps, no amps, your getting them all confused. dB is NOT the same as  sound quality.  you keep saying line out has better sound quality (YES I AGREE, but its not noticeble by that much), and you keep saying it is louder (NO THIS IS NOT TRUE, dB levels are not AMPLIFIED, you need an AMP to do that!) and you keep interchanging their definitions with each other. 

as I already said, stop wasting your time and effort and money on this, because in the end, your going just going end up with the same results.  

thoma, I think you’ve pretty well established your ignorance on this subject now, so you can stop embarrassing yourself.  I never mentioned dB, that was your ignorant statement.  Of course I know what an amplifier does and your asinine argument misses the whole point entirely and only underscores your ignorance.  The issue is not with power (amplification), it’s with differences in voltage and impedance between line and headphone.  If you set an amplifier to a given volume and connect two components, one via line and one via headphone, the headphone component will not be as loud as the line component. This is not just my opinion, it’s fact.  Google is your friend, check it out for yourself.

And as I’ve said previously, a given person may not care about the difference and be perfectly happy with the results using headphone out.  And results can vary depending on the equipment involved, so there’s not reason not to try it and see how it goes.  But to say there is no difference is ignorant and incorrect.  A quick search will verify this on any number of forums, wikis and blogs.  You’ll find thousands of post like “When I hook my MP3 player up to my stereo, how come it’s not as loud as my CD player?”

If you want to tell people that in your opinion headphone out is just as good, that’s fine.  And for many people it may be true.  But don’t try to pretend you are stating a fact.  Especially when you back it up with such a rediculous and irrelevant argument.

Thanks for being the voice of reason on here, skinjob. I find it baffling that some company or individual hasn’t created a cable that provides the line-out. The difference between this and a headphone jack output is night and day in my experience. The sound quality is vastly superior and the volume control is left to the car radio or home stereo, as it should be. Including myself, I know three people who would like to buy a Fuze or similar product, but we won’t do so because we aren’t able to buy a line out cable (preferably with charger).  Has anyone contacted SanDisk about this? I don’t see how a marketing department could be so out of touch with what I would think would be a significant part of their target audience.

SanDisk: The Fuze is a rechargeable audio device. Two key words there: rechargeable and audio. That’s and , not or. Please provide a simple cable that addresses these two areas. Not one cable for charging and another to provide an inferior and less convenient audio connection (headphone jack).

@sansatie wrote:

Thanks for being the voice of reason on here, skinjob.

You’re welcome.  And obviously I agree about the cable. :smiley:

As I’ve said in many other posts, many people may not care about the difference, and that’s fine.  But when someone tries to tell me there is no difference or that I shouldn’t care about the difference, I get pretty annoyed.

Sandisk has gone to a lot of trouble to make the Clip and Fuze two of the best sounding players on the market, so presumably they are targeting people who care about audio quality.  And these are the people who would be most interested in line out.  Seems like a no brainer to me to introduce some accessories to address that need.