DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@14124all wrote:

axon, These are only assumptions.

I don’t think the lineout and headphone jack are the same signal. …

… I think what is killing us here is that the headphone out signal in the Fuze is overly good. It is very clean all the way up to full volume.

I’m not sure what you mean?   :) 

In message 47, sansafix said,

“At full scale,  the HP out will be the same level as line out assuming you use the Volume “High” setting.”

As sansafix said above and I have found, the volume of the fuze and the dock are the same.  

If they had different impedance levels, would their respective volumes be the same when plugged into the same source?

For the record, in my office set up, the fuze by itself or with the dock does not produce a signal as loud as the CD player.   

Another interesting point relates to what Calv said.  I get the same “short circuit” 60 cycle buzz plugging the fuze into the dock as I get when I plug in the headphone jack, so what ever internal resistive measures are taken at the level of the headphone jack (not to fry the ICs), they are likewise employed at the level of the line out for the same reason… So if I follow what you’re saying, if the resistance is applied by the dock and not by the fuze, that could be why your line out cable is louder and why the fuze requires a voltage to signal that the dock is in place before it outputs the unprotected line level.

axon