DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@sansafix wrote:
Next release of Fuze firmware will output fixed line level when connect to the Dock.

Hi sansafix

If the firmware is just going to eliminate the ability to control the volume of the dock from the Fuze, my suggestion is to leave it as is.  It’s a nice feature to have and since the signal is being controlled digitally, the end result sound quality will remain the same as it is now, whether we can change the volume or not. 

If the headphone lead from the DAC chip goes to the headphone jack and the lineout lead from the DAC goes to the docking plug, there is no reason to remove the ability to adjust the volume on the dock.  However, from my experience with the Fuze, I don’t believe that is the case.  ‘To simplify the construction,’ and the fact that firmware can alter this feature, leads me to think there is just one lead from the DAC that goes to the volume control and then either to the headphone jack or the docking plug, allowing the Fuze to control the volume of the headphone and the dock. 

This is not a bad thing, however, and my advice to SanDisk is to leave it alone.  Firmware is not going to change the source of the sound or the sound quality.  The Dockable Fuze is a winner just the way it is!  There is no reason to remove the volume feature just to make the Fuze have a fixed line level when connected to a dock.   That would be a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

axon

Message Edited by axon01 on 12-08-2008 08:53 PM