DIY Line Out Cable - Works!

@14124all wrote:

I have to agree with Skinjob and neutron_bob. The Fuze is implementing the line out in it’s own way. It should not be a concern about if it is a “true” line out or not. This was probably based on home stereo equipment with a 1volt peak signal. Are car stereos true line out with the 5volt pre-out signals?

The main thing is that there is a high quality, high impedance signal available to drive pre-in inputs harder than the headphone out. If I run the Fuze volume all the way to max, the signal is noticeably lower than with the Griffin Dock or the cable mod. The purpose of this project was to get a signal that is more useable with car stereos and line-in home equipment, as the headphone out does not drive them well. It seems to me that it works quite well without signal degradation, so I am happy with it.

If you are looking for audiophile quality, true to spec line out, you probably should not be using a compressed audio player anyway!

Hi 14

This is really strange.  I don’t know why this was not what I found?  Fuze volume set to 100% gave me the same volume from the Griffin dock and the headphone jack.  I used an 18" Zu  Pivot (mini to RCA) to my M^3 and DT880s for the comparison.  

axon

Edit to add link:  What I used 

Message Edited by axon01 on 12-02-2008 11:29 AM