Creating Playlists with my Sansa Fuze 4GB

The issue with playlists being “blank” is due to how Linux is writing the playlist files to the Fuze.

Your music management software (in my case Banshee) is creating playlists by writing .m3u files into the MUSIC directory on the Fuze.  It formats the m3u files like this:

MUSIC/<artist>/<song>

The problem is that this is a Linux absolute file path. What the Fuze wants is a Windows relative file path.

What you need to do is load your playlist file(s) into a text editor, and use find/replace to modify the entries in the file.  They need to look like this:

<artist>\<song>

Note that the path is now relative to where the m3u files actually are, and that it uses the Windows backslash delimiter instead of the Linux forward slash.

Once you’ve edited your playlist files, set your file manager to show hidden files on your Fuze.  Ensure that your text editor didn’t create a backup copy of the files you just edited (the standard Ubuntu Text Editor program does this by default).  If it did, delete them.  If you don’t, then two copies of each playlist will appear in your Fuze, with only one of them working.

Now eject your Fuze, let it scan your music, and bask in the glow that is working playlists.

FWIW, I reported this “bug” to the Banshee folks via Bugzilla back in Feburary, and it was confirmed by another user.  No fix yet (that I know of).

Message Edited by themrfreeze on 05-31-2010 10:07 PM