Highlighted
SanDisk User
Accepted Solution

Convert .wav to mp3

I am the owner of an 8GB fuze, and have recorded over 200 songs which I have found out have been recorded as .wav.  So now I am trying to convert these into mp3 (so that I can give them easier to use names, and be able to use repeat and shuffle).  How can I go about doing that?
SanDisk Guru

Re: Convert .wav to mp3

Google "Lame XP"
SanDisk Guru

Sansafix, great idea!  The first link I found via Google was to Free-Codecs.com, and there's a treasure trove of encoding software there, including video tools, all in one place.  The LAME XP converter is excellent to archive / compress your Sansa's audio recordings.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk Professor

Last I saw, Lame and Helix were testing out as the best quality mp3 encoders.  Helix I think is owned by Realaudio now, and Lame is more commonly used by other programs.

As well as the encoder itself, some program on top of it will make it easier to encode a bunch at once, and add the tags.  DBpoweramp converter (www.dbpoweramp.com) and foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org)  are both popular.  

SanDisk Professor

I saw some tests from just a few months ago. I'm surprised by the progress that many of these encoders have made (Apparently I hadn't been keeping up). iTunes and Helix are very close to LAME now, and much faster. The Helix encoder can be found here (its only command-line, and you have to find the .exe file amongst all the source code). This also bodes well for the MP3s from the Rhapsody store.
SanDisk Fanatic

jumpydwarf wrote:
I am the owner of an 8GB fuze, and have recorded over 200 songs which I have found out have been recorded as .wav.  So now I am trying to convert these into mp3 (so that I can give them easier to use names, and be able to use repeat and shuffle).  How can I go about doing that?

Don't, convert them to OGG instead Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

hazza wrote:

jumpydwarf wrote:

You mean Vorbis?Smiley Tongue

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User

Thanks, sansafix, neutron_bob, donp, bdb (especially for the link), - and hazza.

I ended up getting Lame XP Xmas Edition and seem - so far - to be able to convert from wav to mp3 and put them on my fuze with no big hitches.  I've converted six songs and put them on the fuze so far.  Six down, two hundred twenty-one to go! 

SanDisk Guru

hazza wrote:

jumpydwarf wrote:

Agreed!

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Guru

I have some recordings in wav that I was going to convert to mp3.  What makes OGG a better format?  Does it create a smaller file size?